How many styles of bonnets?

Questions about History or requests for information (does anyone know where my car is now?) can go here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
58Morris
MMOC Member: No

How many styles of bonnets?

Post by 58Morris »

Hello, I have searched for relevent topics but found none so pardon me if this has been answered elsewhere. Can anyone tell me how many different styles of bonnet were made for the Morris? I can see the difference split screen and one piece at the back of the bonnet, was there a different shape at the front also? Thanks.
Cam

RE: How many styles of bonnets?

Post by Cam »

Well, there are three basic bonnets, but the trim and badging differs from model to model.

The short bonnet - splitscreen type (1948 to 1951)

The long bonnet - splitscreen type (1951 to 1956)

The 1000 bonnet - curved screen type (1956 to 1971)

The fronts are identical on all the bonnets, but the badges differ between models.
bigginger
Minor Maniac

RE: How many styles of bonnets?

Post by bigginger »

I know they're not Minors, but there's the LCV bonnet too - no bead on the sides where the stripe is on a saloon etc
58Morris

Post by 58Morris »

Thanks for the replies, the reason I asked is that I sold a splitscreen type bonnet to someone and they are saying that the front edge is wrong for their car and I found that hard to believe. How much length difference from short bonnet to long bonnet? If you don't mind.
Cam

Re: RE: How many styles of bonnets?

Post by Cam »

bigginger wrote:I know they're not Minors, but there's the LCV bonnet too - no bead on the sides where the stripe is on a saloon etc
Andrew, the bonnets are the SAME. It's just that the trim and badges differ.

58Morris, the rear edge is actually the same on the short bonnet as the long bonnet. The difference comes in the lower rear section where it meets the rear wing edge.

This is the long bonnet:
http://www.potteries.mmoc.org.uk/Member ... Large5.JPG

and this is the short bonnet:
http://seriesmm.mmoc.org.uk/OJO.jpg
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Re: RE: How many styles of bonnets?

Post by bigginger »

Cam wrote:
Oh yeah - always assumed that bead was part of the pressing. just been out for close inspection, and it is a trim part, clipped on... :oops: You learn something new every time your assumptions are shattered.
rayofleamington

RE: Re: RE: How many styles of bonnets?

Post by rayofleamington »

Not strictly true - the Minor LCV's don't have the holes to fit the flashing - it's a small difference but critical if you want your LCV to look correct.

Anyway, back to the original topic - the bonnet pressing is not the same shape as the front panel , therefore people often get confused to see one panel with a straight edge and the other with a curved one, and presume something is wrong.
Cam

Re: RE: Re: RE: How many styles of bonnets?

Post by Cam »

bigginger wrote:
Cam wrote:
Oh yeah - always assumed that bead was part of the pressing. just been out for close inspection, and it is a trim part, clipped on... :oops: You learn something new every time your assumptions are shattered.
Yes, I thought the same originally until I delved under one and wondered what the mountings were for! :oops: :lol:

rayofleamington wrote:
Not strictly true - the Minor LCV's don't have the holes to fit the flashing - it's a small difference but critical if you want your LCV to look correct.
Well............ the side trim mounting holes don't really warrant a description as a separate style bonnet in my opinion.......... especially as they come out of the same press at the factory! :roll: So, in essence it IS strictly true that they are the same. There are three basic bonnets, but the trim and badging differs from model to model.
58Morris

Post by 58Morris »

Thanks all. Much appreciated.