Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
olonas
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Starter motor.

Post by olonas »

Not sure if this is mechanical or electrical? Probably more mechanical. :roll:
I have just changed the starter motor on my 1962 1098cc engine/gearbox. I didn't think to check before fitting the new one. Having now checked the old one I find that the Bendix gear has 10 teeth (counted them numerous times to confirm :-? ). I am sure the new one will have 9 teeth.
The starter is working fine and the 9 toothed gear must be engaging properly.
What I don't want is to cause any damage, short or long term, to the 9 toothed gear and more importantly the flywheel ring gear.
Is this discrepancy going to be a problem?
Thanks.
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Starter motor.

Post by philthehill »

It does not seem to make much difference to the efficient working of the starter Bendix if it has 9 or 10 teeth.
So long as it is engaging and disengaging ok, I would not be too concerned.
There is enough clearance between the Bendix teeth and the flywheel teeth to accommodate both the 9 and 10 tooth Bendix.
ESM sell the 9 tooth Bendix for the Minor starter motor so use and enjoy.
https://www.morrisminorspares.com/elect ... 10-p829699
There has been plenty of discussion on here regarding the use of 9 or 10 tooth pinions if you want to use the search facility.
Here is one for a starter :)
viewtopic.php?p=592338#p592338

oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

Not knowing why you changed your starter motor makes me suggest the possibility of swapping the bendix, to the starter motor you intend/want to use, could remove the issue - if it is actually deemed to be one.
olonas
Minor Fan

Post by olonas »

Thanks both and for that link.
The starter has been in the car for at least 23 years (my ownership) and the Bendix gear, not the pinnion, has become very worn. Although there is some wear to that.The motor doesn't turn very quickly either compared to the new one.
The flywheel ring gear looks perfect.
I have removed the recently fitted starter and it does indeed have a 9 teeth pinnion.
That well known auction site has been useful in obtaining a n.o.s. 10 teeth pinnion assembly. I will use that only because it has been fine for all those years.
I do have an excellent device for compressing the heavy spring to enable the removal and refitting. I've seen some really dodgy methods for doing that!
The car originally had a 948cc engine and gearbox. They were replaced by Gold Seal units (1098cc engine and gearbox) around 1993 when the car was restored.