Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
PhilipW1039
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Today's project - fitting a dash panel

Post by PhilipW1039 »

I've bought a bit of MDF as I want to relocate the voltmeter and oil pressure gauges, fitted by a previous owner, and add a clock, into a new panel in the driver's side glovebox. My question is; how to secure the MDF panel please?

My current plan is to use small l-shaped metal brackets and screw through the bottom of the glovebox into "that" end. But I'm thinking there must be a better way.

Any ideas please? (and don't reopen the old "what do you need a clock for?!" argument!)
Philip

Just gradually working things out...
geoberni
Minor Legend

Re: Today's project - fitting a dash panel

Post by geoberni »

Well it depends on the look you're after.
In my case, Basil is a '55 SII, and I happened across a pair of early, 2nd gen glove box doors at an autojumble, the ones with the chrome surround.
On the drivers side, I used the chrome surround to edge some MDF to mount gauges and switches, attached the hinges and it is literally a tight fit wedged in.
20200430_124838.jpg
20200430_124838.jpg (823.32 KiB) Viewed 455 times
But you could, for example, make up a couple of velcro blocks to hold it in.
It just depends how inventive you are.
Don't forget that you'll need to ensure there is an earth connection, as some gauge illumination lamps earth through their case to the bodywork...
Basil the 1955 series II

PhilipW1039
Minor Fan

Re: Today's project - fitting a dash panel

Post by PhilipW1039 »

Hinges! Now that's a good idea. See - I'm not very creative so some thoughts like this are really useful, thank you.
Philip

Just gradually working things out...