Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
svenedin
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

SU AUA 66 Fuel Pump to Electronic Conversion Problems

Post by svenedin »

I bought a kit made by Burlen to convert a standard points SU fuel pump (AUA 66) to electronic operation (in my case the positive earth kit as my car is positive earth). My car is not used daily and fairly infrequently in the Winter. I have a modern car and my convertible Minor is quite chilly in the Winter. Points pumps can develop oxidation/corrosion on the points when they are not used for extended periods so I thought it might be useful to have a reliable electronic spare which could go with the other spares in the boot.

I fitted the kit, which did not seem unduly challenging, but I have been unable to get the pump to work at all. My pump was working fine on points the day before and it is not that old either. When connected with correct polarity nothing happens at all. When connected with reverse polarity the magnet moves once but does not oscillate. My pump being quite new has colour coded coil wires, red and black, so there is no way the electronic module is incorrectly connected. Some older pumps have two black wires so the Burlen instructions say it is necessary to test them live to get the polarity right (in other words the circuit board is not fried by brief testing with reverse polarity). The instructions say that adjustment of the hall shield is necessary in order for the pump to function correctly but no degree of adjustment will make it work.

I am stumped basically and at the moment my only idea is to contact Burlen on Monday. Fortunately I have another pump so I can still drive the Minor (not that I am going to with all that salt on the roads at the moment). I wonder whether the circuit board is faulty or whether the wrong board was supplied (negative earth instead of positive earth).
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
svenedin
Minor Legend

Re: SU AUA 66 Fuel Pump to Electronic Conversion Problems

Post by svenedin »

Just me being daft with this. Instructions are not very clear. A diagram or side view in the instructions would have been helpful. For anybody in doubt in future this is a side view of the correct arrangement of parts. Pump works perfectly. It is actually a very simple conversion once you know what you are doing. Much easier than swapping new points and armature.

You do need a working pump first. If a pump needs other overhaul work like a new diaphragm that must be done first. I cleaned out the filter at the same time because the pump needs to be empty of petrol to work on it anyway.

If contemplating doing this job you do need a crimping tool and some thread locker along with basic tools.

The conversion kit is less than half the price of a new SU AUA66 Electronic. There are kits for both negative and positive earth. Burlen say that older pumps (with two black coil wires) may not function properly if converted due to weak coils.

C5768EF8-8A20-4E76-B6DD-D319E07D09FE.jpeg
C5768EF8-8A20-4E76-B6DD-D319E07D09FE.jpeg (1.31 MiB) Viewed 376 times

Stephen
svenedin
Minor Legend

Re: SU AUA 66 Fuel Pump to Electronic Conversion Problems

Post by svenedin »

All done now. SU cap sealing sticker and red tape to indicate a positive earth pump. A lot cheaper than a new one!

IMG_9471.jpeg
IMG_9471.jpeg (1.89 MiB) Viewed 347 times

Stephen