Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Jaybeee1
MMOC Member: No

Fuse Locations

Post by Jaybeee1 »

Hi all

I am after some advice I went to my car tonight and found the following with the electrics. Can anyone tell me where the fuses are other then the 3 on the bulkhead if there are any others?

Wipers not working
Headlight not working
Main beam not working
Heater not working

Dashboard lights working
Radio working
Starts ok
Sidelights work
Horn works

I think the fuel gauge is also not working but it might be its low on fuel
svenedin
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Fuse Locations

Post by svenedin »

Since nobody has answered (yet) I am not sure this is fuse related. I would check the connections to the voltage regulator on the bulkhead especially A/A1 and E.
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by geoberni »

Quite simply, .....UNLESS SOME PAST OWNER HAS ADDED FUSES SOMEWHERE .....the Minor only has 2 Fuses, both 35 Amp and they are split between the circuits that are always like direct from the battery, and those that are fed after the IGN is switched on.
The 3rd, inline 10Amp fuse is only on latter cars and is only for Side, Rear, Number Plate and Panel (Speedo) Lamps, which were previously un-fused, which remains the case for the headlamps...

So as your list includes fused and un-fused circuits, I'd be checking all the connections at the Control Box, and at the 2 main fuses, assuming it's still a Dynamo and not an Alternator modified car....

Red = Fused and IGN
Green = Fused and always live
Black not fused

Wipers not working
Headlight not working
Main beam not working
Heater not working

Dashboard lights working
Radio working (Depends where it was connected to)
Starts ok
Sidelights work
Horn work

fuel gauge

As you've asked the question, I'm assuming you don't have a workshop manual for the car so you can look at the wiring diagram....
You're not exactly a frequent poster and looking back over your posts, the only car you mention you said was a 64....
To the best of my knowledge, according to the best reference books, the 3rd fuse for the sidelights was not introduced until Sep '66 :-?

So unless you've changed cars, then someone has been fiddling with the wiring so who knows where the fault might be.....
Basil the 1955 series II

Jim McCrae
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by Jim McCrae »

This sounds like two separate problems.

Headlights and Sidelights are both powered from the brown/blue wire from the regulator to the light switch. As the side lights work, the fault must be with the switch, blue wire from the main switch to the dip switch, or the headlamp earth.

The heater and wipers share one of the green wires from the fuse box then on to the voltage stabiliser. The fuel gauge and oil light(s) use the same circuit so I would expect that they do not work either. Stop lamps and flashers are connected to the same fuse so you should check them too. Do you have good connections at the fuse box?

Good Luck
Jim