Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
svenedin
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Lucas Spade Terminal Special type cover

Post by svenedin »

Something that has been puzzling me and I cannot find the answer. Does anybody know what the type of hard plastic insulating cover for a female Lucas spade connector with an extra plastic ridge to prevent misconnection is called? There is such a connector on terminal 2 of the DR3a wiper motor for instance. It prevents the live and switched live from being connected to the motor incorrectly. I cannot order one of these because I have no idea what it is called!

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
Peted7202
Minor Fan

Re: Lucas Spade Terminal Special type cover

Post by Peted7202 »

ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

I know exactly the item you mean. Unless they are available new, the best way would be to find an old loom or a car being scrapped and cut that wire off. Then slide the plastic cover off it. You just need to find a Minor being broken up.......
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Having looked at a photo of a DR3 (I've a SII car so totally different) I understand what you mean, but can't say I've ever encountered then in recent decades. It would probably be referred to as a Keyway.
I have a feeling they are no longer available, even back then they could have been specially made by Lucas; who were after all massive at the time for both electrical items and their connectors, in both automotive and aeronautical industries.
You could try asking RS Spares, who are a massive supplier of electronic/electrical 'stuff', and see if they can help, but I doubt it.
https://uk.rs-online.com
Basil the 1955 series II

oliver90owner
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by oliver90owner »

Have you thought of trying a search for spade connector cover? May be enlightening.
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

oliver90owner wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:39 am Have you thought of trying a search for spade connector cover? May be enlightening.
I certainly have and despite looking at a what seems like hundreds of web pages I have not found what I am looking for.

I should have posted a photo. This is what it looks like:
IMG_8539.jpeg
IMG_8539.jpeg (441.56 KiB) Viewed 623 times

Stephen
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

As I said, I think it was a Lucas original made by them to fit their motors. So no call for it in general service. These days most manufacturers of equipment that use that size wiring, and that sort of termination, are making domestic White Goods or industrial equipment and use multi-way keyed connectors, not singles.
Basil the 1955 series II

svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

geoberni wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:47 pm As I said, I think it was a Lucas original made by them to fit their motors. So no call for it in general service. These days most manufacturers of equipment that use that size wiring, and that sort of termination, are making domestic White Goods or industrial equipment and use multi-way keyed connectors, not singles.
Fair enough. The original cover is good enough to clean up and re-use.

Stephen