Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Brownowl
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Yet another indicator problem

Post by Brownowl »

Hi folks,

I've got a late '69 Tourer, and the left hand indicators have just stopped working.

I've got to leave early for a local classic car run tomorrow, and it's still persisting down so I haven't had much of a chance to look into this, so I'm hoping for some suggestions which might short-cut the process tomorrow.

The right hand indicators work fine, and the left hand ones did too until today! The repeater on the stalk only works for the right side as well. I don't think it's the flasher unit as if it were, then they wouldn't work at all.

I've checked the bulbs, and they are fine too, and all the wiring and connections at the stalk are fine as well. I fled the rain in the end, so I haven't tested the wiring or looked for disconnections and the like. Besides, I'm not too sure of where any breaks are likely to be.

Ideas or suggestions anyone, please?

Cheers, Laurie.
svenedin
Minor Legend

Re: Yet another indicator problem

Post by svenedin »

I have a 69 convertible and I recently replaced the indicator stalk assembly. The connections (bullet connectors) that may be relevant in your case are on the driver’s side under the glovebox. Unfortunately only accessible by removing that glovebox. To get there, remove horn push, steering wheel, indicator shroud, glovebox surround then glovebox. It may be possible to remove the glovebox surround without taking off the steering wheel and indicator shroud but it’s tricky.
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Well from the description, the common point of failure is as shown.
The Selector Sw (36) is after the Flasher Unit (43).
The Flasher Unit requires the system to draw some power before it starts to flash ON & OFF.
As both front and rear lamps (37/38) don't work, it logically is the common bit of cable between selector switch and the Front/Rear split.

Where that is on your car, I couldn't tell you, as my car is a whole lot older....
Indicator.JPG
Indicator.JPG (35.19 KiB) Viewed 966 times
Basil the 1955 series II

Brownowl
Minor Friendly

Post by Brownowl »

>> As both front and rear lamps (37/38) don't work, it logically is the common bit of cable between selector switch and the Front/Rear split.
>>
>> Where that is on your car, I couldn't tell you, as my car is a whole lot older....

Yes, that was my thinking, but I'm not sure where that is. I've seen some mention of some connectors under the dash and as soon as it stops raining, I'll have a look!

Thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers, Laurie.
Brownowl
Minor Friendly

Post by Brownowl »

I have a 69 convertible and I recently replaced the indicator stalk assembly. The connections (bullet connectors) that may be relevant in your caseare on the driver’s side under the glovebox. Unfortunately only accessible by removing that glovebox. To get there, remove horn push, steering
wheel, indicator shroud, glovebox surround then glovebox. It may be possible to remove the glovebox surround without taking off the steering whee and indicator shroud but it’s tricky.
That's exactly what just happened! The rain eased up, and I found a stray wire. Had to do all of that, but now the indicators are working. It was a right pain, and I also had to take all that stuff off.

Anyway, thanks for your help, one and all. Another school day!

Cheers, Laurie.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

Actually, to simply access the connections, you do not have to dismantle anything. Just look underneath the glovebox and all the indicator stalk connections can be accessed through the large circular hole in the bottom of the metal dashboard pressing immediately beneath the glovebox :wink:

To be clear: You DO have to carry out a certain amount of dismantling in order to remove or replace the stalk but not just to access the connections as in this case.
Brownowl
Minor Friendly

Post by Brownowl »

Thanks. In my case, although I could touch the connectors with my finger tips, to actually reattach the wire into the bullet connector, I had to dismantle as described.

I've now discovered that the stalk is unreliable, so I'll be going through it all again to replace it!

Thanks again everyone for your help, Laurie.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

It can be worthwhile cleaning all the contacts first with a decent switch cleaner. The switches DO wear eventually of course but a good cleaning session is well worthwhile as a starting point as new stalks are expensive and not particularly well made :-(
If it's any consolation, the dismantling will seem easier and quicker each time you do it :wink:
Brownowl
Minor Friendly

Post by Brownowl »

Yeah, I did do that whilst it was off, as it happens - it just made sense to do it. I've just found out how expensive the replacement would be! Shocked!

I think I'll re-clean it, and apply some lubricant a lot more carefully.

It's seems to require pushing down really hard to get the R/H indicator going, and the self-cancel isn't working consistently despite adjustment. It's a pain!

Cheers, Laurie.