Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Grumpy21
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Indicator stalk

Post by Grumpy21 »

My indicator stalk is a little temperamental and I’m considering a replacement

Are the eBay cheapos at £58 any good. The alternatives are £40 more and may well be the same quality.

Thanks
svenedin
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Indicator stalk

Post by svenedin »

I don't know about the cheapos but the ESM ones are marked "Made in England" and sold under the "Pride" brand. Having just fitted one, they seem to be good quality. The only slight annoyance with them is that they don't follow the proper wiring colour code (BS-AU7) but most of the wires are the same colour and trace and the rest can be deduced.

Unless your indicator stalk assembly is completely worn out you might find a squirt of aerosol lithium grease might help and if the self-cancelling is playing up that can be adjusted for wear by adjusting the "mushroom" thing (I don't know what it is called) on the steering column.

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
Grumpy21
Minor Fan

Post by Grumpy21 »

Hi. It’s pretty worn, I’ve ‘reconditioned’ it twice but it’s quite floppy and sometimes overshoots the contacts. It works but you have to get it just right.
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Well if you’re going to the trouble of fitting a new one I’d fit a good one!

Stephen
Grumpy21
Minor Fan

Post by Grumpy21 »

svenedin wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 2:36 pm Well if you’re going to the trouble of fitting a new one I’d fit a good one!
That’s sort of my point. Many so called ‘Lucas’ parts are cheaply manufactured junk and fail readily. And ‘Made in England’ is certainly not the mark of quality it once was or indeed any guarantee of where it was actually manufactured. I’d rather hear that something has or hasn’t proved reliable than buy on possibly misplaced reputation
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

If you can locate one, a good second hand switch might be better. The new ones supplied by ESM may be ok, never bought one, but I'm a bit cynical of new spare parts, even the more expensive ones.
Grumpy21
Minor Fan

Post by Grumpy21 »

Or someone’s idea of good could be as good as mine currently is. Used ones go for £30-40. They could be as good as my current one.
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Well when I said I’d “just fitted one” that was Minor-speak for 5 months ago. ESM supplied part is working well. Another thing I didn’t quite like though was the exact shade of green of the tell-tale lens. You can swap them of course

Stephen