Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Moggie May
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Head gasket failure

Post by Moggie May »

Hi all,
Found a lot of creamy gunge inside the tappet cover so I removed the head and discovered water in cylinder 2&3. However, the gasket did not seem damaged or broken.
When I came to torque the head back down after replacing the gasket, the middle short stud just spun. After further inspection it was clear that whoever worked on it previously had damaged the thread.
So Ok not a huge problem to resolve but on closer inspection there appears to be a hole in the bottom of the stud hole in the block.
Is this normal or has someone been a little too enthusiastic drilling out previously.
Please see attached photos,I would appreciate your feedback.
Attachments
IMG_2579.jpeg
IMG_2579.jpeg (2.36 MiB) Viewed 522 times
IMG_2580.jpeg
IMG_2580.jpeg (2.12 MiB) Viewed 522 times
IMG_2581.jpeg
IMG_2581.jpeg (1.96 MiB) Viewed 522 times
svenedin
Minor Legend

Re: Head gasket failure

Post by svenedin »

Is this the remains of a broken stud that has not been successfully removed in the past? Did they try to drill it out?
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Not to worry - not all head stud holes in the block are blind. Just make sure that you put some sealing compound on the threads so as to stop any coolant migrating up the threads.

Moggie May
Minor Friendly

Post by Moggie May »

Well I really don’t know.
Should the stud hole be sealed at the bottom because this looks to be open to the coolant water contained within the block.
My thoughts are that this is how the coolant probably got into the cylinders by escaping up the stud hole and under the head gasket.
I’ve never noticed this before but this is the first time I’ve taken the head off.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The middle O/S stud hole goes right through to the water jacket so nothing amiss there.
If the threads have gone just fit a Helicoil thread insert. Fit the head and use the head hole as a guide when drilling for the Helicoil.
There may be some old stud left in the stud hole but when you fit the Helicoil insert you can drill out any remains.

Moggie May
Minor Friendly

Post by Moggie May »

Thanks everyone for your suggestions/advice I am most appreciative.
DaveB
kevin s
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by kevin s »

The only problem you might come accross is that the stud hole in the head is too small for the larger helicoil drill, if you have a scrap head just drill the hole out in it, if not drilling a hole in a piece of hardwood in a drill press and using that to kerp the drill square works for a one off.