Restoring Ruby - long term project! With questions . . .

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
daveejhitchins
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Restoring Ruby - long term project! With questions . . .

Post by daveejhitchins »

So, Ruby - Morris Traveller -TMK 958F. Purchased by middle son Ben for a trip to Mallorca with his younger, brother who went for Triumph Herald. Must be nearly 20 years ago now.

Ruby stayed, as a daily, over there for several years before being transported back to the UK where she was a daily for over two years down on the south coast. This is until her 2nd gear broke! Stored in a council garage until funds were a bit low. Then I was asked if she could come and live with me in County Durham. Along she came on the back of a lorry - I got the bill, of course :lol:

Stayed under cover for a number of years before I finally had the time to start a restoration (Retired - it's a fallacy that you actually do have more time :o ). So, the story begins:

I've got to say . . . Whoever did the previous 'restoration' . . . I'd like to be kind but I can't! Just about every job I've tackled has been a nightmare. Very few gaskets, just lots of sealant. OK I might be a little CDO (that OCD with the letters in the right order :D ) but enough is enough. I'll probably get to listing them all, over time, however, todays nightmare:

Currently I'm tackling the suspension (offside) and today's job was to remove the Torsion Bar (I'd already removed most items leaving the Torsion bar and eye bolt. All nuts were removed easily, despite them being covered in underseal. I did notice that the height adjusting plate was missing - so, I asked myself how's it being kept in place . . . a washer fitted to the rear of the Torsion Bar leaver had been spot welded!! :-? Par for the course?

Anyway, my first question: Despite having been a mechanic, in the 70's and owning a traveller, I've had no experience with the Morris suspension. Understand how it works, how to take it down and reassemble. When I eventually had the Torsion Bar off (eye bolt took a while to remove!) I found the Spigot assembly was locked solid. The eye bolt was oval and the rubber bushes held the same shape, however, I don't see any wear on the Fulcrum Pin. As the Spigot assembly doesn't need to rotate (?) I'm inclined to leave it as is. Comment??

Probably more questions along the way.

Thanks - Dave H.