Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
morris63
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Battery To Solenoid Cable (Positive)

Post by morris63 »

1971 Saloon. Just coverted to Alternator so had to go Negative earth. I now need a new Battery To Solenoid Cable. There are lots out there but what size Amp cable do I need. I know I need the lengh on 12 inches (30cms). Thanks
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Battery To Solenoid Cable (Positive)

Post by ManyMinors »

Can you not just replace the battery connection on the end of you existing cable? These are widely available (I got one in our local car accessory shop), cheap and easy to fit :wink:
morris63
Minor Friendly

Post by morris63 »

Unfortunately not. It is well used and with the old type screw to terminal fitting.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Well starting the car is the highest current draw on the battery, having an alternator now doesn't make any difference as the Alternator can't try and charge the battery with a massive amount of current.

I know my 1098 takes just under 110 amp when cranking over, so at least 16mm2 which is 110A cable constant current, not just for a few seconds, but probably best to get the next size up, 20mm2, which is 135A.
Basil the 1955 series II

ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

morris63 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:10 pm Unfortunately not. It is well used and with the old type screw to terminal fitting.
Mine was the same. I cut off the old fitting with a hacksaw then cut the insulation from the end of the cable, slid the new clamp type battery fitting on and tightened the screws. Job done. Only works if the cable is long enough of course. Mine was.