BRITOOL sockets

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Mick Lynch
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

BRITOOL sockets

Post by Mick Lynch »

What has happened to Britool sockets?

I’ve had the need to add Whitworth sizes to my tool set as sockets and a few ring spanners. I thought I’d treat myself so I bought a set of Hallmark-Britool sockets. What a shile of pite! Despite costing over £100 they looked and felt no different to cheepo unbranded Taiwanese tool you can get in bargain shops. The didn’t have the ‘British Made’ logo on neither. The 5/16W socket didn’t even fit.

I bought a second-hand set of Britools on ebay for a 5th of the price and the quality is like chalk and cheese, like I expected the new ones would be like. The EB range sockets feel chunky and good quality and the spanners have that satiny feel.

How can a company charge a premium for dross? Anyone else found this or was I just unlucky this time?

The sockets were posted back (at my expense) for a refund.
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: BRITOOL sockets

Post by philthehill »

Exactly the reason I prefer to buy good used Britool sockets and spanners.
Way back when doing my apprenticeship I bought Britool spanners and they are still going strong.
Being a poor apprentice I could not afford a full Britool socket set but bought a Bedford A/F, Whitworth & metric socket set instead which gave good service. That has now been replaced with a near new condition original English made full A/F, Whitworth and Metric socket set (in a Britool branded metal box) with all the accessories plus additional Britool items.
I try not to buy other makes of sockets or spanners unless for a special purpose. If I cannot find the English spanner/socket German made is the next best thing.
I recently called in at my local S/H surplus shop and came away with ten mixed Britool spanners for a £10 and they were in good condition too.
In my opinion good used English made Britool sockets and spanners are better than anything made these days.

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Well,I’ve got a selection of old British tools, handed down, Britool, King Dick, Stahlwille, etc, however I decided a few years ago that I’d like a decent tool set all in one package, I bought a 200 piece set from Halfords and I’m very pleased with it. The old stuff is still here though, funny how sentimental one can get about old tools, for me it’s the connection with people no longer here.

svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

I have Draper AF and Whitworth sockets as well as Draper combination spanners. They are not vintage but maybe 10 years old. I’ve always liked Draper tools. Good quality without breaking the bank.

I also have an AF ratcheting combination spanner set by Facom. These are very nice and they would have been very expensive but I got them in a sale or more accurately they were given to me as a present after I spotted them in a sale.

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
Mick Lynch
Minor Fan

Post by Mick Lynch »

philthehill wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:40 pm Being a poor apprentice I could not afford a full Britool socket set but bought a Bedford A/F, Whitworth & metric socket set
Same as me my friend! I bought a single Bedford or Gordon spanner a week to build my toolbox (Marine pipefitter). For my 18th I got a metal cantilever tool box and a grease gun off my parents.

Sadly I left it in the UK in my house I was letting. After 10 years when I came to collect it I found out someone had helped themselves to it.

I agree there are decent quality tools but I thought I was buying ‘the best’ and the price indicated that.

Sadly not, and I won’t by buying more unless second-hand.
Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »

Most of my sentimental tools are my father's.Some I use and are very useable and some are for keeping.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

One of my favourite tools is not a Britool spanner or socket but a Record plane given by my mother to my father as a wedding present around 1946 and it is still well used.
My oldest tools are 1895 and 1905 metal lathes. Both bought S/H with full history sheets and still well used.

Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

Williams superslim were also good quality and came unchromed so less attractive to light fingers :lol:
Article on Britool
https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/thr ... ad.277755/
Regards Bill
juliusskinner04

Post by juliusskinner04 »

It's disappointing to hear about your experience with the Hallmark-Britool sockets. Quality discrepancies can be frustrating, especially when paying a premium price. It seems like you made a wise choice in opting for a second-hand set of Britools on eBay, which turned out to be of better quality. Hopefully, the refund process for the Hallmark-Britool sockets goes smoothly. It's essential for companies to uphold the quality that customers expect, and your feedback may help them address any issues in their manufacturing or quality control processes.
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

juliusskinner04 wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:20 am It's disappointing to hear about your experience with the Hallmark-Britool sockets. Quality discrepancies can be frustrating, especially when paying a premium price. It seems like you made a wise choice in opting for a second-hand set of Britools on eBay, which turned out to be of better quality. Hopefully, the refund process for the Hallmark-Britool sockets goes smoothly. It's essential for companies to uphold the quality that customers expect, and your feedback may help them address any issues in their manufacturing or quality control processes.
Sounds like you work fir them :lol:
Regards Bill
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

svenedin wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:00 pm I have Draper AF and Whitworth sockets as well as Draper combination spanners. They are not vintage but maybe 10 years old. I’ve always liked Draper tools. Good quality without breaking the bank.

I also have an AF ratcheting combination spanner set by Facom. These are very nice and they would have been very expensive but I got them in a sale or more accurately they were given to me as a present after I spotted them in a sale.

Stephen
Elora is the top end of Draper.

I'm not sure what make my socket set is but it is German and was bought for my 21st birthday. It has BS/W, AF & Metric. I have also inherited my father's Old Britool, that was BS/W and AF but he added Elora Metric some years ago. The Britool ratchet is a work of art.
Mick Lynch
Minor Fan

Post by Mick Lynch »

Anyone got an opinion of TENG ?

I found a US company that ships to Canada for free. They have Whitworth combination spanners, have good online reviews, but they seem suspiciously cheap.

Go for it or walk away?
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Teng tools seem to have reasonable reviews but I will stick with my S/H Britool tools wherever possible.

philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

Teng are pretty reasonable for a modern brand. I have two of their half inch socket sets and they all have lifetime guarantees. I broke one of the power bars years ago (can't remember how exactly but I'm sure it wouldn't have been an approved use...) and it was replaced without quibble. Good quality Britool sets will always be better but these are good quality and value also.