Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
cyrus
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Grumpy engine steady

Post by cyrus »

Hello, I am having a problem fitting the Grumpy engine steady that I recently bought for my 1969 saloon. Last time I had one of these was years ago when I fitted one to my van and it was no problem at all. Now, however I can't for the life of me get the bolts provided into the unused holes next to the damper, despite using lubrication. The holes and threads are tidy and not rusted up but the bolts will not "start" no matter how long I twiddle. I am wondering if the bolts supplied are the right thread, am I right in thinking the threaded plate in the bulkhead is 5/16" BSF?
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Grumpy engine steady

Post by philthehill »

The bulkhead bolts used for the Grumpy's engine steady bracket are 5/16" BSF.
Grind a lead in/taper on the bottom of the bolt or use a wing bolt which already has a lead in/taper on its bottom end.
If you do not have a 5/16" BSF tap just file a flat on a 5/16" BSF bolt and that will do the job nicely.

cyrus
Minor Friendly

Re: Grumpy engine steady

Post by cyrus »

philthehill wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:13 pm The bulkhead bolts used for the Grumpy's engine steady bracket are 5/16" BSF.
Grind a lead in/taper on the bottom of the bolt or use a wing bolt which already has a lead in/taper on its bottom end.
If you do not have a 5/16" BSF tap just file a flat on a 5/16" BSF bolt and that will do the job nicely.
Many thanks Phil the wing bolts are a good idea :)