The Series II Morris Minor followed on from the Series MM in 1953
with the addition of the 803cc overhead valve A-series engine, which
was taken from the Minor's cousin, the Austin A30.
Externally there was very little difference between the MM and
Series II. The Series II retained the early "cheesegrater grille"
until 1954 when the more well known horizontal grille bars were
The only way of telling a Series MM from an early Series II from
the outside, is by looking at the bonnet badge. The Series MM had
a flat bonnet flash (that continued on to the Light Commercial Vehicles),
whereas the Series II and Minor 1000s had the newer style "Mazak"
bonnet flash with a separate M motif on either side.
John Colley photographed
Peter Large's Series II four door saloon for the MMOC Calendar
and Minor Matters front cover in 1998.
Below: Alan Priest's
1955 Clarendon Grey Series II saloon was photographed by John
Colley for Ray Newell's Original Morris Minor book. Both Alan's
and Peter's car (right) have the more modern horizontal grille
bars, which replaced the cheesegrater (a.k.a. honeycomb) grille
bars (see period advert below).
Series II convertibles were all the
rage even in 1969 when this insurance advert was published in
The Series II though had given way
to the Minor 1000 back in 1956 .
The Traveller was introduced in
1953. The ash frame is part of the structure on the Traveller
and is subject to the MoT test. Bryan Gostling's (above) is
thought to be one of the earliest surviving Travellers.
The LCV (Light Commercial Vehicle)
was also introduced in 1953 in Series II form. The Series II
Minors, like the Series MMs, did not have modern flashing indicators.
Instead they had semaphore arms or trafficators. On the Travellers,
four-door saloons and LCVs, these were located on the B post
behind the front doors. On the two door saloons and convertibles
they were mounted lower down in the body.
Series II LCVs are
now extremely rare, and Martin O'Dowd's pick-up (above, photographed
by John Colley for Original Morris Minor) and Robin Beardmore's
rubber-wing GPO van (right, photographed by Andrew Booth for Minor
Matters), are two fantastic examples of cars restored to concours
The GPO (General Post
Office) were special customers of Morris and B.M.C. providing
many Telephone Engineers vehicles.