Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MCYorks
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Early Style Series II

Post by MCYorks »

Noticed this early style Series II saloon on ebay for restoration. Registered in April 1953.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1953-MORRIS- ... SwSURgKUEn

According to DVLA it's taxed until Aug 2021 :o Doesn't look like it's been driven for a while. The Minor can be prone to tin worm but it would probably be a record to deteriorate that rapidly over the previous 7 months :lol:
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Early Style Series II

Post by ManyMinors »

It wouldn't have required an MOT or be roadworthy in order to tax it.
The seller is quite open about it needing a complete restoration having been found in long-term storage in a barn recently.
He would have had to apply for a new registration document when he purchased the car and would then have to either tax it or declare it SORN. Since the tax is free, I suppose he decided to tax it :wink:
MCYorks
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by MCYorks »

ManyMinors wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:12 pm It wouldn't have required an MOT or be roadworthy in order to tax it.
The seller is quite open about it needing a complete restoration having been found in long-term storage in a barn recently.
MOT exemption and free tax, two of the many benefits of owning a Minor :D I still thought you needed Third Party insurance cover when applying for the tax, and to remain in force for the whole time a vehicle was taxed. That would cost something I'm sure, but the seller must have their reasons. As you say they are quite open about it been found in long-term storage and needing a complete restoration.

I do hope it does get restored, rather than broken for parts. I always really like to see the earlier 'cheesegrater' cars back on the road :D

An interesting story regarding the tax or SORN point. A friend bought a vehicle that was last on the road in 1986. He got the new registration document and declared SORN online. A couple of weeks later he received letter from DVLA threatening a fine for not taxing or declaring SORN. He checked online and sure enough it still showed the tax expired in 1986, so he went through the SORN process again. Four days later it still wasn't showing as SORN and he was getting worried. Turned out SORN didn't apply even though he was a new owner because the vehicle was last taxed before 31st Jan 1998. However, the automated system wasn't able to account for this and was still taking action as if he'd committed an offence :o Eventually a human being at DVLA got involved and sorted it all out.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

MCYorks wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:51 pm
ManyMinors wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:12 pm It wouldn't have required an MOT or be roadworthy in order to tax it.
MOT exemption and free tax, two of the many benefits of owning a Minor :D I still thought you needed Third Party insurance cover when applying for the tax, and to remain in force for the whole time a vehicle was taxed. That would cost something I'm sure,
You're right of course that insurance would also be required in order to tax the car but the seller/owner is a car dealer who will have a motor traders policy. This will enable him to have a blanket insurance for any vehicle he owns. Therefore, it costs him nothing extra to tax the Morris :wink: