Accident rate caused by Classics MOT exemption ?

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MCYorks
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Accident rate caused by Classics MOT exemption ?

Post by MCYorks »

liammonty wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:46 am
MCYorks wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:52 pm How about a Minor Hybrid? The best of both worlds 8)
To me, a hybrid is the worst of both worlds, rather than the best. As far as I can see, hybrids create considerably more waste as well as generating more pollution overall, through additional weight, but their emissions are simply 'redistributed' to out of town. They also have 2 drivetrains to fail, rather than one.
That's one way of looking at it. My thought was retaining the standard Minor drivetrain and engine for 'high' speed, longer distance driving. While having a separate low speed, short range electric drivetrain for 'popping down the shops', local trips, etc. That way you're not loading the car with batteries and there's may be half a chance you could fully recharge the battery with some solar panels. Also, if the drivetrains were completely separate, then you would have a backup in the event of either failing.
liammonty wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:46 am I suppose one advantage is that for the past 20 years, they have made their drivers feel self righteous, though, in the misguided belief that they are saving the planet!
I think you're referring to 'pious Prius driver syndrome' :wink:
MCYorks
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Accident rate caused by Classics MOT exemption ?

Post by MCYorks »

woodiesenfrance wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:47 am nor have my good intentions stopped a fancy low-lying bollard from leaping out at a front wing :oops:
I sympathise with you on the bollard incident. It is rather annoying, when they make these things just high enough to cause some damage, but just low enough that they can't be easily seen! Not helped when some are painted black, so they really stand out in low-light conditions :-?