Rear light safety vs. originality

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use

Which rear lamp units should Gracie have?

Original red flashing brake light units
62%
Later orange flashing indicator units
38%

Total votes: 21

KirstMin
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by KirstMin »

Dan_Harris wrote:The Majority of British drivers are PROBABALLY intelligent to realise that when a light is flashing it means the driver is indicating
Hey mate, that might be right BUT it's not the majority we have to worry about :o And like I said before about the policeman being supprised that a vehical involved in an accident where i live checked out ok, sometimes we can't even assume that the majority of drivers are intelligent :D
Dan_Harris wrote:Thing is though that surely your positioning in the road and brake light should have given the game away? There's really no excuse for smashing into the back of someone regardless of how many or few lights they have flashing.
That's true mate, but its the most common accident!

I'd be really worried driving without orange flashers if I was using my car as a daily driver or regulary in a large town/city. If it's just a weekend country stroller then OK, but I just dont have great trust in other drivers observational skills. Partic as Ive been knocked off my bike 4 times all of which were the drivers fault - 2 resulted in compensation (one was uninsured) and the other 2 were hit and run.

If it's originality you are after you wouldn't put seat belts in would you but that's not even something you're considering! As a compromise what about something like SR's which can be easily detatched?
Cam

Post by Cam »

KirstMin wrote:
Dan_Harris wrote:Thing is though that surely your positioning in the road and brake light should have given the game away? There's really no excuse for smashing into the back of someone regardless of how many or few lights they have flashing.
That's true mate, but its the most common accident!
Actually it was me that said that not Dan, but the point I was making (well asking really) is that althought it's the most common accident, what was the CAUSE of the accident? Was it a failure of the signalling device of was the other driver just not paying attention or just felt like smashing into the ton of steel in front of them. :o
I'd be really worried driving without orange flashers if I was using my car as a daily driver or regulary in a large town/city. If it's just a weekend country stroller then OK, but I just dont have great trust in other drivers observational skills. Partic as Ive been knocked off my bike 4 times all of which were the drivers fault - 2 resulted in compensation (one was uninsured) and the other 2 were hit and run.
Yes, I've been involved with the odd incident too and it's not good but considering the mileage I have done they are quite minimal really and I have managed to avoid a fair few loonies hell bent on squishing my car. Of course this is not TOO easy if the loonies are behind you, but I always check my mirror before indicating anyway. The question still remains that would it have made any difference to the accidents if the flashing turn signal was red and not orange?
If it's originality you are after you wouldn't put seat belts in would you but that's not even something you're considering!
Well, I'd like the car to be as original as possible but with this particular car (as it's a daily driver) I'm not TOO bothered. I've never had a car with the flashing red rear lamps before and I rather like the idea so that's what was driving me onwards really (the safety issue holding me back a bit).

With regard to seatbelts, yes my modified car and my '63 have static belts (I'm not a big fan of inertia reels) but my '52 is not having any and will use trafficators ONLY as a signalling device, but that car won't be driven anything like daily.
As a compromise what about something like SR's which can be easily detatched?
It's not really a show car (not at all actually :lol: ) and not done to the standard of SR's car and I don't want to fiddle everytime I want to take it to a show to be honest. Plus I have never been a fan of aftermarket bolt-on lamps. I can fully understand why SR has put those on his but that's perhaps a slightly different situation to me. Actually I don't even like additional fog & reversing lamps. If I bought a Mog with them on I'd take them off as soon as I could but that's just me I guess...
d_harris
Minor Legend

Post by d_harris »

KirstMin wrote:
Dan_Harris wrote:The Majority of British drivers are PROBABALLY intelligent to realise that when a light is flashing it means the driver is indicating
Hey mate, that might be right BUT it's not the majority we have to worry about :o And like I said before about the policeman being supprised that a vehical involved in an accident where i live checked out ok, sometimes we can't even assume that the majority of drivers are intelligent :D
Thats kinda the point I was trying to make :p

KirstMin wrote:
you might want to re-check who wrote that! It wasn't me! :lol:

grahamt7
Minor Fan
Location: Manchester (nee Glasgow), UK, Missionary Worker (Scotsman living in England since 1990)

Post by grahamt7 »

Q. When did these flahing brake lights cease to be standard kit?
Graham.
MMOC 63699, Free Radical "Say it and be damned!"
Scarlett, 67 2-door OLD 992E - until 22nd July only
1994 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado 3.0 Diesel
2010 Chrysler 300C 3.0 Diesel
1994 Volkswagen Golf 1.8I - 33,000 miles
KirstMin
Minor Fan

Post by KirstMin »

Dan_Harris wrote: you might want to re-check who wrote that! It wasn't me! :lol:
Sorry guys, got my copying and pasting all messed up :o
Cam

Post by Cam »

grahamt7 wrote:Q. When did these flahing brake lights cease to be standard kit?
October 1963 on Minors.
Shawn
Minor Fan

Post by Shawn »

I'll also be going for some sort of high mount brake light - almost certanly stuck to the inside of the rear windscreen.

Need to find/make/modify something slim enough to be discreet yet visible. The off-the-shelf units are all to big and ugly.
[img]http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b322/perrys/MinorSig.jpg[/img]
kaj
Minor Friendly

Post by kaj »

Back when I started to drive, 1989, I owned a 1963 4 door, without out the orange indictors. During the 18mths I owned him, I had no problems with cars 'going up my backside', no accidents at all. I must admit the journeys were only along the A12, A120 and country lanes. I just indicated early, before I applied my brakes. I felt totally safe. I now part own a 1961 4 door, not on the road, but I am leaving the tafficators in place along with the red rear lights. Dont know how 'safe' I will feel, as its not on the road yet due to money problems.
IslipMinor
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by IslipMinor »

I should have added that the trafficators are still in place, and working! Use the original panel light switch (panel lights now on with side lights always) to turn them off when on motorways or major dual carriageways - not really designed for outside lane speeds!
Richard

Gareth
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Gareth »

That's a rather good idea. :D

I like the flashing brake lights and would rather like to convert Phyllis back to the dual-filament type front and rear - don't forget hand-signals! If you're in any doubt, stick your arm out of the window, although trying this at speed is not to be recommended... :lol:
Happy Minoring!

Phyllis ~ 1962 Morris Minor 4 Door Deluxe
Black coachwork with Red Duo-Tone Upholstery
wibble_puppy
Minor Legend

Post by wibble_puppy »

cam have you asked your insurer if they have a view? ie if some lackwit went into the back of you when you were indicating using the brake lights, would the insurance company pay out? dunno if their reply would make a difference to your decision, but was mildly interested in what they would say

kaj's post made me realise that of course once you apply your brakes people behind you can't see you are indicating any more. I guess that would swing it for me.

wish someone would invent fog lights which automatically switch off if it's not foggy :roll:

Cam

Post by Cam »

wibble_puppy wrote:cam have you asked your insurer if they have a view? ie if some lackwit went into the back of you when you were indicating using the brake lights, would the insurance company pay out? dunno if their reply would make a difference to your decision, but was mildly interested in what they would say

kaj's post made me realise that of course once you apply your brakes people behind you can't see you are indicating any more. I guess that would swing it for me.

wish someone would invent fog lights which automatically switch off if it's not foggy :roll:
Hi Wib, not seen you on here for a while. Good to have you back. :D :D

Well, the insurance company WOULD pay up as there's nothing illegal about the car and I for one would detail my case in court on principle!

If you brake, then the brake lights flash too, so you always have a flashing red light at whichever side you are indicating for! :D

Yes, people don't realise that (in my experience anyway) fog lamps are more trouble than they are worth as they dazzle much more than they increase visibility (for me anyway).
wibble_puppy
Minor Legend

Post by wibble_puppy »

Cam wrote:Hi Wib, not seen you on here for a while. Good to have you back. :D :D
Cheers mate, missed it :D might have known you'd pounce on me as soon as i make my first post for a while lolol 8)
Well, the insurance company WOULD pay up as there's nothing illegal about the car and I for one would detail my case in court on principle!
mmm yes good point. i wonder if anyone else has experience of making a claim hinging on this point? i can see how an insurance co might try to argue the case :wink:
If you brake, then the brake lights flash too, so you always have a flashing red light at whichever side you are indicating for! :D
Does my ignorance look big in this? :oops:
Yes, people don't realise that (in my experience anyway) fog lamps are more trouble than they are worth as they dazzle much more than they increase visibility (for me anyway).
well you will be forced at gunpoint to admire my chrome one, although i have just realised (i really am very very slow sometimes) that it is really unlikely to get used, given that Emrys is destined to be a fair-weather-pootling van not a working vehicle. However i guess it's good to know it's there if the weather catches me out (and about)

bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

*Laughs evilly* - I'd love to see them try - "Insurance company refuses to honour claim as small car is completely standard" - sounds like fun :D
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

i would say kep it original, unless you are driving where there is loads of traffic, i dont,

by the way good to see you back wibble, hows the van coming along?
wibble_puppy
Minor Legend

Post by wibble_puppy »

hey aupickup dude :D cheers for the welcome back, the van is still being painted, tra la :roll: 8)