Disk brakes and local driving habits

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use

Do disk brakes become more necessary the further south you go?

Poll ended at Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:02 am

I live up North and need disk brakes.
3%
I live up North and love my drums.
10%
I live in the Midlands and need disk brakes.
7%
I live in the Midlands and love my drums.
10%
I live down South and NEED disk brakes.
33%
I live down South and love my drums.
37%

Total votes: 30

pskipper
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Disk brakes and local driving habits

Post by pskipper »

On raising the question about plumbing in disk brakes the same old arguement was started again! :roll:

However I noticed the 'don't bother with disk brakes' comments came from up North! Having lived up North and down South I've always found the driving up north less stressful and with fewer "slam the brakes on now, some moron just cut me up" type moments!

As a result I am wondering whether these people are advocating the drum brakes because they don't understand just how hairy it can be driving a minor down south with the rush rush rush attitude of people.

Help me bury the disk brake arguement for once an for all (I hope) by proving that disk brakes are necessary for southern driving!
Philip, Lynda and the cars.

Willie
Minor Legend

discs

Post by Willie »

My disc brake kit should arrrive from JLH TOMORROW! As someone who lives
in London I will feel more on level terms with my fellow motorists when I am
using the same ammunition and do not have to worry about the dreaded fade. One emergency stop from speed (unavoidable in this area) and there is very little braking effort left by the time I stop. It will save me having to change down on all the local hills and I am going to keep my brakes on all the
way down the hill just to fall in line with all the other drivers!
Willie
[img]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e197/wuzerk/mo9.jpg[/img]
wibble_puppy
Minor Legend

Re: discs

Post by wibble_puppy »

Willie wrote: I am going to keep my brakes on all the
way down the hill just to fall in line with all the other drivers!
lol :lol: yeah my husband has never heard of engine braking either, willie!! :roll:

interesting poll, pskipper, liking yer work :D
Dominic
Minor Addict

Re: discs

Post by Dominic »

Willie wrote: It will save me having to change down on all the local hills
But that means the exhaust won't be making that wonderful noise that scares cats and old ladies! I go out of my way to find long downhill stretches so that I can peg the car at 30 in 3rd (or 40 in top) to get the over-run "fart".

Since fitting one of MGM Spares stainless exhausts (nice quality by the way), the exhaust has even more of a sharp edge to the crackle! Wonderful....... :-D
Owns: Skoda Citigo
1968 Morris Minor Convertible[sig]3739[/sig]
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

I live in East Kent- very crowded road conditions and I have never felt the need for disk brakes in any of my Minors.

Just keep them well mainained and drive the car bearing in mind it is a 60 year old design.
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
Onne

Post by Onne »

and surely all the other drivers know that! :D

Where should I vote? :P
Onne van der S. MMOCno 60520 Moderator
2dr 1971 White DAF 55 (with hopefully a 1600cc engine soon)
2dr 1973 Bergina (DAF 44)
2dr Estate 1975 DAF 46 in red
2dr saloon 1972 DAF 44 in Mimosa
Cam

Post by Cam »

Either / or is fine with me. I have JLH Ford disks on the front of my 4-door modified car and Ford 8" drums on the rear and it stops very very well indeed. I also have bog standard drums on my '63 car which has recently completed the JOGLE run, numerous other rallies and gets me to work daily (40 mile round trip) with no problems at all in the braking department.

Disks are not NEEDED generally, but they do help if your driving style dictates that you are using the brakes a lot in a short space of time.

Also, if you are carrying large loads frequently then either larger drums or discs will help.
d_harris
Minor Legend

Post by d_harris »

on a well maintained, standard car. The brakes are more than adequate, but I wouldn't want to use them with the trav when its done, as that will be mildly warmed over and I'd feel more secure with better stoppers (I voted south/love drums as wouldn't change them in a standard car)

Tris
Minor Fan

Post by Tris »

My drums are OK, and you will class me as very north being higher than manchester :wink:

Look no "L" plates! :D
grahamt7
Minor Fan
Location: Manchester (nee Glasgow), UK, Missionary Worker (Scotsman living in England since 1990)

Post by grahamt7 »

I voted "I live in the Midlands and love my drums". Although this opens up a whole series of debatables. :o :o

I voted Midlands meaning "British Midlands" for I am Scottish 8) , although I live in Manchester :-? .

Also, I might quite like some disc brakes at some point. :roll:

And finally, I'm probably cheating, for my drums are servo-assisted. :-?

Hope all this helps! :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
Graham.
MMOC 63699, Free Radical "Say it and be damned!"
Scarlett, 67 2-door OLD 992E - until 22nd July only
1994 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado 3.0 Diesel
2010 Chrysler 300C 3.0 Diesel
1994 Volkswagen Golf 1.8I - 33,000 miles
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Help me bury the disk brake arguement for once an for all (I hope) by proving that disk brakes are necessary for southern driving!
A lot of it comes down to personal choice and your local driving conditions my drum braked saloon is quite happy on the M25 around London and my local driving is also very heavy but you do need to keep your wits about you especially for the overtaking and pull in suddenly and brake hard to take the turn off they almost missed merchants, so if you feel happier with Discs go for it as there are plenty of drivers who cant cope with my local driving conditions in a modern car.
Then one thing I dont have is too many big hills so I dont get that panic feeling from serious brake fade (well not often)
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
Tris
Minor Fan

Post by Tris »

Graham - Mine are servo assisted too :wink: :lol:

minor_hickup
Minor Legend

Post by minor_hickup »

It seems East Sussex has some of the worst drivers, the other day i drive from my house in e.sussex to Surbeton in London, then to Horsham West Sussex and back. The only idiots I encountered were in dear old East Sussex.
pskipper
Minor Fan

Post by pskipper »

It's starting to look like there is a definite north south divide :)
My problem isn't my driving style, it's the style of the people around me who don't care and probably don't even consider that the car is a 60 year old design.
I have driven the M25 in a moggy and agree with Kevin that drum brakes are fine on it (failed water pumps however grrr) so there is definitely something to be said for regional variation.
Looking forward to the final result (the poll is open for 1 month) :)
Philip, Lynda and the cars.

Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

My problem isn't my driving style, it's the style of the people around me who don't care and probably don't even consider that the car is a 60 year old design
That's the single drawback to owning a Mog in my humble opinion. but then it's the same for any vehicle that doesn't fit the 'local mould' whether it be older car, horse box, bike etc. Drive out of Bracknel on a Friday afternoon and anything without 150bhp and ABS is a mobile roadblock. In fact anything with a lesser badge becomes a target as GT's take on GLS's and GLS's take on LX's in the traffic grandprix. Mogs are no exception - it's just more obvious when you're behind the wheel.
Older and more confused than I could ever imagine possible.
Tris
Minor Fan

Post by Tris »

yep! its true, i guess its more noticeable when your driving a modern car also... which i'm not.. :D

millerman
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by millerman »

A lot less maintenance with disks, change the pads and thats it. I found that I was always adjusting /checking drum brakes.
Time moves on and as far as possible the Minor must do as well!!
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

Drive out of Bracknel on a Friday afternoon and anything without 150bhp and ABS is a mobile roadblock. In fact anything with a lesser badge becomes a target as GT's take on GLS's and GLS's take on LX's in the traffic grandprix.
Rush hour is the same pretty much anywhere in the country when nearby a major town / city. Too many people in a rush on too few roads leads to a more agressive driving style, and people in a rush don't waste time thinking about the other driver's space.
On driving the 'otherwise pleasant' A46 at rush hour I get a little road rage as I am forever getting overtaken as I accelerate from roundabouts by cars driven with no higher average speed (usually lower) - these tend to be 'ego-badge mobiles'.
The advantage of being an experienced driver in a Minor is that I can make use of the (non existant) middle lane and regain my previous position when the cars who just overtook me get stuck behind the same line of traffic that I was in ;-)
If I drove that road at rush hour every day I'd need disk brakes as sooner or later my stretch of 'middle lane' would run out unexpectantly :lol:
Driving the same road at any other time of day can be very pleasant unless you get stuck in a line of 100 cars behind an agricutural vehicle at 15mph - the guys in front in the ego badge mobiles insist on hogging the middle of the road even though they are not even thinking about overtaking so nice narrow cars like the Minor have to get stuck like everyone else.

anyway - standard brakes on standard cars are fine by me but not if they will be driven hard during rush hour battles. Disk brakes are also fine and I'd gladly have them on a standard car if they cost the same as standard brakes, and definately would have them on a modified car.

Having driven the traveller around Bath with 4 people in on the day after the MOT, I would go for disks if I lived there! Stopping at the bottom of a steep hill from 60mph fully loaded (because the car in front wants to turn right) is NOT easy. However I'm happy to say that despite the brakes not being fully bedded in, we DID stop soon enough, but an inexperienced driver may not ahve been as heavy to get down the gears and that would have been a different story :o
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

Ah Bath - scene of my last drum brake total failure... It's taken until now to even consider a drum equipped car again, but I'm putting one together at the mo :D
Pyoor_Kate
Minor Addict

Post by Pyoor_Kate »

Aye Ray, the hill in Bath is normally enough to make most people (with a fully laden car) think 'hrm, disks might be handy'. As is the one down the back of the BRI in Bristol...

I've driven both, and I know which I prefer, but then my car(s) have tended to be driven very hard. I found drum brakes were adequate, but disks gave me the 'I need to stop right NOW' feeling that I like to have from brakes. That and I drive an *awful lot* and people only take into account that my car is 36 years old when they're (attempting*) to overtake me.

* It may take me a touch longer to reach 70, but just because you've decided to attempt to squeeze past in the short distance between two roundabouts on the ring road doesn't mean I'm going to stop accelerating to let you cut me up...
Pyoor Kate
The Electric Minor Project
The Current Fleet:
1969 Morris 'thou, 4 Door. 2010 Mitsubishi iMiEV. 1920s BSA Pushbike. 1930s Raleigh pushbike.
The Ex-Fleet:
1974 & 1975 Daf 44s, 1975 Enfield 8000 EV, 1989 Yugo 45, 1981 Golf Mk1, 1971 Vauxhall Viva, 1989 MZ ETZ 125, 1989 Volvo Vario 340, 1990, 1996 & 1997 MZ/Kanuni ETZ 251s
Desires:
Trabant 601, Tatra T603, Series II Landy, Moskvitch-401, Vincent HRD Black Shadow, Huge garage, Job in Washington State.