Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
paulhumphries
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Towing with a 1098

Post by paulhumphries »

My 360 mile trip to collect the Austin Seven chassis the other day has made me realise that I'm perfectly happy with the current 1098cc engine despite having a 1275cc ready to fit (when / if I go the autobox route).
It's fast enough on side roads and motorways as well as having plenty of power (for me) when hill climbing.
What is a pleasant surprise is that my knee isn't suffering so I might be able to put off the autobox conversion and maybe go for hydraulic clutch instead.
One of the other reasons why I wanted a slightly bigger engine was for trailer towing - definatley disc brakes would be needed though :)

Anyone want to comment on their experiences of towing with a standard 1098cc ?

Thanks.

Paul Humphries.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I used to tow my racing Mini about (on a home-made trailer) with a 948 Minor - it did have some engine mods - but nothing dramatic. Not the fastest combination on the road - but it was fine. So a 1098 will be fine too - depends what you want to tow of course. Fit discs if you want - but consider also the bigger Wolseley 1500 front drums (9") which are a bolt on job, much less expensive than discs - and work very well indeed!
ImageImage
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

My standard 1098 Travellers are used extensively for towing. Small box trailer - don't even know it's there. Dinghy on trailer - don't know it's there. Large (10 ft x 4ft x 2ft) trailer, heavily laden - slower acceleration, top speed 60 mph (but hey, that's the limit anyway) and slow down climbing hills, but it still goes up a 1 in 8 in 2nd. Heavy sailing dinghy - aomewhere between the large and small trailers. Another Minor on an A-frame - from Swansea to Essex or Essex to Whitby without any problems at all. Been using them for 20 years without any problem. Just make sure that the car is well serviced - and yes, I do have discs which are reassuring going down the 1 in 8 hill !
mal
Minor Addict

Towing with a 1098

Post by mal »

I used to tow a 14' Enterprise sailing dinghy and all the gear with mine, but that was in the early 70's when I and the Moggy were a lot younger... standard car then also :wink:

Mal
salty_monk
Minor Fan

Post by salty_monk »

My mate used to tow a box trailer with a Citroen 2CV - if that can do it anything can :D
[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y247/salty_monk/Junk/Sig.jpg[/img][img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y247/salty_monk/Suzuki/thIMGP0432.jpg[/img]
Chris Morley

Post by Chris Morley »

My Stepmother's father was a farmer in West Ireland. He used his series II splitscreen to tow a heavy cattle truck around the farm with his prize bull in it! Apparently a rusted floorpan finished it off but the engine & clutch were fine!!! :o :wink:
Chris
-------------
1969 2-Door daily driver