Long journey coming up soon! What to do??

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Dominic
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by Dominic »

Hi Andrew
I frequently do 700 mile journeys over a weekend (in my 1098 standard set up). My advice is not to push it too hard, use all your senses - ears especially - to judge if everything is well. I would also advocate the use of 97 octane super unleaded with Castrol valvemaster - though if valvemaster plus is used, which has an octane booster, then ordinary 95 octane is ok. The higher octane apparently burns less explosively than 95, causing less stress on the valves, and an added benefit is better fuel consumption that'll more than pay for the extra cost of the fuel!
As you are unused to long runs, I'd suggest making sure that all fluids are topped up beforehand, then after say 100 miles, check them when the car has cooled down a bit. That way you can judge if regular topping up is needed. Currently, my engine is burning about 1/2 litre per 100 miles, from a scored bore on no. 3 cylinder. This caused my exhaust valve to burn out on the last journey. It still got me home though! Of course it's essential to take suitable precautions against hot coolant when removing the rad cap!
Other than that, try and relax, and enjoy the drive!
Dom

PS Tris, make sure your double-declutching skills are ok, as some of the lake district hills are definitely 1st gear jobs!
Owns: Skoda Citigo
1968 Morris Minor Convertible[sig]3739[/sig]
AndrewSkinner
Minor Fan

Post by AndrewSkinner »

WOW well thanks for all of your replies! I will definetly do a complete service and yes the car is used daily and is in tip top condition (As far as i can see!)

I have driven the car to 60mph before but i cant decide on whether the engine is running slightly too fast for it!?
I dont know the limit of the poor little engine. It is a 948cc with 55,000 miles on the clock (Genuine) and as far as i know it hasnt had any work/rebuild done to the engine.

I do have a small drip leak from the bottom of the rad - i am sure this is the pipe and not a crack in the rad! but i will get it sorted beforehand.
An age when roads were empty, machines were simple and every journey was an adventure!!
minor_hickup
Minor Legend

Post by minor_hickup »

bmcecosse wrote:You need to at least do the 56 mph the trucks are doing - otherwise they will be constantly on your back bumper making your life miserable. My way - go like stink - 70/80 mph outside lane where possible - show them there's life in the old Traveller yet. Get about 25 mpg - and haven't come to grief yet - and it's fun ! 56 mph with the trucks is boring as h£$% !
Thats what i do! The minor pulls suprisingly well between 60 and 75, i suppose its right in the 'power band'. I've done loads of motorway and fast dual carriage way stuff and it does fine. Except for the burnt exhaust valve, which was actually when I was driving fairly slowly enjoying some incredibly slippery roundabouts in Eastbourne.
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

Except for the burnt exhaust valve, which was actually when I was driving fairly slowly
Generally it takes thousands of miles to damage the valves.
The minor pulls suprisingly well between 60 and 75
Yours is a 1098 - generally knock 5 or 10mph off for the 948
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
docgibbons
Minor Fan

Post by docgibbons »

i've got a 948, and she'll cruise happily at 60 on the flat, but do you have to use the motorway? you'll soon get fed up of having Uncle Eddie (Stobart) thundering up your backside, and when one of those boys overtakes, hang on tight to the wheel before the side-draught gets you. why not mix and match a bit? half an hour on the motorway, then a period off it. depending on the weather, i'd have gloves and a woolly hat in the glovebox, and a torch, and a blanket maybe. on short trips from home when it's cold, i also take a hot water bottle. lovely for sitting on and just as good as these modern heated seats. i've never taken one on a long trip, so if anyone has, can you get them filled with hot water at the services?
one thing not been mentioned, i think, is in the unfortunate case of the old girl conking out on you. i've got a couple of warning triangles in the boot, which are compulsory on the continent, even for cars with flashing hazard lights, but a good idea for the morris, i reckon, to alert other drivers to the fact that you are broken down. just one triangle would do, to put at the rear of the car maybe 20 yards behind it, but one at the front also if you have a couple. they're not expensive.
good luck anyway
alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

docgibbons wrote:i also take a hot water bottle. lovely for sitting on and just as good as these modern heated seats. i've never taken one on a long trip, so if anyone has, can you get them filled with hot water at the services?
Isn't that what the tap on the side of the engine block is for? ;) :lol:
ImageImage
Alex Holden - http://www.alexholden.net/
If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer.
Dominic
Minor Addict

Post by Dominic »

Isn't that what the tap on the side of the engine block is for?
Naahhh that's for filling the teapot
Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

Naahhh that's for filling the teapot
Hmmmmm [thinks]
Do you think tea could be used as a substitute for antifreeze?
Older and more confused than I could ever imagine possible.
AndrewSkinner
Minor Fan

Post by AndrewSkinner »

How easy is it to change the cogs in the differential and how much? Is it like an hour job?

I want to keep my moggie original but if its cheap enough and easy enough i might consider changing the differential ratio for the trip to lower the revs abit when cruising. Having a spare set of diff cogs would be a handy thing!

What ratio do you suggest? and Where do i get them from?
An age when roads were empty, machines were simple and every journey was an adventure!!
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

Make that a couple of hours, for the first time. If you're going to do it, buy a couple of sets of gaskets - they're easy to tear/wreck.
AndrewSkinner
Minor Fan

Post by AndrewSkinner »

How much can i expect to pay for a set of new cogs for a diff? and what ratio do you suggest i get for motorway cruising?
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

What ratio do you suggest? and Where do i get them from?
if you have a 948 with 4.55:1 diff you could try a 4.2:1 diff for higher gearing. these were fitted in all 1098cc Minors except the Vans/pickups so they are very easy to get second hand.
The disadvantage of higher gearing on a low power engine is trying to get up hills or driving into strong winds. You will find yourself changing down when you didn't use t, and there will be a bigger gap between gears so changing up to a higher when accelerating on hills or into winds can sometimes be 'too far'.
4.55 to 4.2 is not a HUGE change in ratio, but will make a noticeable difference.
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
Onne

Post by Onne »

I would stick with the 4.55:1 personally. I have this combined with a 1098, but it is a nice combo
Onne van der S. MMOCno 60520 Moderator
2dr 1971 White DAF 55 (with hopefully a 1600cc engine soon)
2dr 1973 Bergina (DAF 44)
2dr Estate 1975 DAF 46 in red
2dr saloon 1972 DAF 44 in Mimosa