Long journey coming up soon! What to do??

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
AndrewSkinner
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Long journey coming up soon! What to do??

Post by AndrewSkinner »

In a few weeks time I have to drive about 230miles and I am probably going to do it in my Morris!!!!

I have a totaly un-modified 948cc Morris Minor and need to know how i should drive the car! Most of the driving is motorway. This may sound funny but i ned to know stuff like:
- What sort of speed should I be crusing at to stop the engine ripping itself appart!
- What sort of MPG can i expect cruising on the motorway?
- What checks do i need to do beforehand and what spares to take!

Any information along those lines would be great! also if anyone has had experience driving long distance in there morris and has any tips - that would be great!
Onne

Post by Onne »

Well, I would do about 50-55 mph, that should get you around 45mpg

Check all fluids beforehand (oil/coolant/brakefluid)
Also a good thing to do is check the tyre pressure.

To take, at least some oil and coolant, a good jack and good (not flat!) spare. Some basic tools are always handy half inch spanner, screwdrivers, some sandpaper

I do big trips quite often, (did 1000 miles in a weekend) and will be doing roughly 145 miles tomorrow.

One final thing, make sure your mibile phone is charged, and has credit, so if need be you can call the AA or similar

I am sure others will come up with more
Onne van der S. MMOCno 60520 Moderator
2dr 1971 White DAF 55 (with hopefully a 1600cc engine soon)
2dr 1973 Bergina (DAF 44)
2dr Estate 1975 DAF 46 in red
2dr saloon 1972 DAF 44 in Mimosa
Tris
Minor Fan

Post by Tris »

It wont break down :wink:

I'm going to be going to the lake district with some mates soon and over the two or three days i rekon its going to be at least 700 miles! up and down hills etc... hope the car survives! :lol:

i cruise on the motorway at about 60 or sometimes 65 depending on visability, wind or if im going uphill or not, i like to not go slower than the trucks though :lol:

Look no "L" plates! :D
Onne

Post by Onne »

But you have a 1098 Tris.

Just takje it easy, have fun, and go for a cup of tea or two during the trip to relax both you and the car
AndrewSkinner
Minor Fan

Post by AndrewSkinner »

Will the car cruise at 60mph? or will this be pushing the little 948cc engine too hard?
An age when roads were empty, machines were simple and every journey was an adventure!!
Onne

Post by Onne »

I´d take it easy. I tend to do. Makes driving far more relaxed and enjoyable.

The 948 should be able to cruise at 60, try it, and feel what it is like
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

In a few weeks time I have to drive about 230miles and I am probably going to do it in my Morris!!!!
I did that mileage last Sunday evening - in a car that is having 'major teething troubles'. Listen for funny noises, check the heater blows warm air (stop if it goes cold) and don't be afraid to get out and fiddle (e.g. to check wheel bearings, wheels, stereing etc...) if you do get any noises or strange feelings. Check the oil and water regularly if the car has not been used much - if it is in regular use then this should inspire much more confidence.
Basically carry any tools that you know how to use, and plenty of water, some oil, a service kit, and other parts if you already have them. Spare wheel, jack etc.. is essential if needed, but punctures are pretty rare in this country!
The petrol pump is one of the most frequent causes of breakdown, but if the points are not burnt away (check them) then it's unlilely to stop you getting there - even if it needs an occassional thwack to restart it.

For preparation, I'd recommend nothing more than giving the complete car a good and thorough service. Follow that by using it a couple of times before hand to check oil and water levels are not dropping.

My own personal method - do the trip anyway without having time for the service, and without having any chance to check reliability as you've just put another cylinder head on (as you've only just got the car and the cylinder head gasket failed on first use). Needless to say, my phone was charged and my AA card was in my pocket.

A 948 Minor should be very happy at 55mph - maybe even 60 if it is in tip top condition. At 55 on a long journey it should give 45mpg but that depends on the carb being set right and the engine being well maintained.
if anyone has had experience driving long distance in there morris and has any tips
I drove a 54 to Gambia last year (>5000 miles in 3 weeks) - no special tips needed for driving in the UK, except to keep to the left.
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

A healthy 948 will cruise happily at 60mph. As for the best speed, well, that's dependant on the other traffic. If you're lucky you might find a nice lorry you can snuggle in behind and 'get a tow' most of the way. It'll save loads of fuel and stop you getting in the way of other traffic or struggling to get past other vehicles just to maintain a reasonable speed. It makes for a nice relaxing journey too away from the cut and thrust of the reps.
Older and more confused than I could ever imagine possible.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

You need to at least do the 56 mph the trucks are doing - otherwise they will be constantly on your back bumper making your life miserable. My way - go like stink - 70/80 mph outside lane where possible - show them there's life in the old Traveller yet. Get about 25 mpg - and haven't come to grief yet - and it's fun ! 56 mph with the trucks is boring as h£$% !
ImageImage
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

I would go with the above advice of servicing, checking and 55-60mph. Only drive like BMC is your engine has been recently overhauled and preferably has some mild tuning. My Traveller (1098) is happy at 60mph which is just enough to keep the trucks at bay. Let the speed creep up to 65 down hills and don;t push the car up hills. Treat it a little gently and it will be fine.
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

I agree totally with bmc - outside lane, foot to the floor - but maintain a safe stopping distance - normally 2 second rule, but with drums increase to 4 :wink:

Pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
dunketh
Minor Legend

Post by dunketh »

It won't break down but it'll be boring as hell on the motorway. Not fast enough to have fun.
Just sit there at a monotonous 60 and wait til you arrive at your destination. I tend to have regular rest stops which not only lets me rest but also the car - handy times to check your oil's still in the sump etc... :lol:
What would Macgyver do..?
JimK
Minor Addict

Post by JimK »

I have had no real idea how fast I cruise since the speedo packed up but judging from the trucks I'm doing about 65mph. At that speed everything seems comfortable, but much faster and it seems rushed.

The new gearbox will drop the top-gear revs by nearly 20%, so I expect I'll turn the wick up a bit.
Jim - New Forest, the Wiltshire bit
ben739
Minor Fan

Post by ben739 »

well, my post was deleted.
1967 Traveller
[img]http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r74/ben3780uk/trav8web.jpg[/img]
"Catch a man a fish, and you can sell it to him. Teach a man to fish, and you ruin a wonderful business opportunity."-->Karl Marx
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

If you drive an old A series with foot to the floor on modern petrol you are likely to burn out an exhaust valve- I know its happened to me on a few occasions in different cars. Be a little gentle, never full throttle, use the 68lb-ft or torque rather than trying to get 48bhp which may not be there any more.

60 mph you will not get there much slower than foot to the floor and you will use a lot less fuel.
JimK
Minor Addict

Post by JimK »

chickenjohn wrote:If you drive an old A series with foot to the floor on modern petrol you are likely to burn out an exhaust valve.
Why does this happen? What do modern cars have that means it doesn't happen to them?
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

When a modern engine is 40 years old and using fuel it was not designed for you may also see problems from spirited use.
JimK
Minor Addict

Post by JimK »

I have a massive load of questions about this, so I'll start a new thread that probably belongs in "mechanical". *Leaves for the "mechanical" section*
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

Its the case with any car, even performance cars give more problems and wear out quicker if driven hard.
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

What do modern cars have that means it doesn't happen to them?
They have hardened valve seats, better valve materials and better cooling of the valve itself.
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(