Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
davidmayo
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

making a police morris minor

Post by davidmayo »

hi i have a light blue 1960 2 door and i am looking into the possibility of turning it into a police morris

i have had a few looks on google for some decent pictures of them but they seem to be a bit thin on the ground
if anyone has a police morris, i would be very grateful to recieve any pictures or infomation about it.
i saw a few pictures of an old white police morris and some of a blue and white one but i dont know which would be better for the age of my car

i was also wandering what new badges and things like radios and ariels i would need to add to it and where they can be got from

my mother is very good at stencelling so i think the police signs could be done only if i knew exactly where to put them#

did the police moggies have any specific interiors or can i just stick with my current blue interior

also i anyone has any special parts off a morris police vehicle that the with to sell to me for a reasonable price then please contact me at: davidmmayo@aol.com

thanks, david
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

The type of vehicle you are thinking of is a Morris 1000 Police Panda Car. Whilst it would be a fun project, you cannot just "make" a Police car, and certainly not from a 1960. They were introduced to many forces in the late 1960's, and were supplied direct to the forces (sometimes via a main dealer) from new. Some forces may have used standard vehicles for general driving prior to the introduction of Panda Cars.

There is no right or wrong specification, every force had its own requirements; and in some large forces the paint markings and other fittings varied from workshop to workshop.

Having said all of that, good luck with whatever you do, it's good to see interest in the cars. The most important thing is to keep yours on the road and keep using it :D
Sidney'61
Minor Legend

Post by Sidney'61 »

I'm assuming that your car is 'smoke grey' in colour (it's called grey but it is actually blue) but if you want it to be exactly right i believe the police moggies were painted in 'Bermuda blue', I dont really know the difference, I think only very picky people will notice the slightly different shade.
Andy W____________1961 2-door 948cc (Sidney)_____________1963 2-door 1275cc (Emily)_______

Pyoor_Kate
Minor Addict

Post by Pyoor_Kate »

And as a little note of caution, bear in mind that you cannot have 'Police' permanently stenciled or displayed on the vehicle and drive it on the road.

I turned my four door (which is traffy blue, and a four door) into a 'police' minor for Pride last year; it was great fun, but the amount of permission I needed to be allowed to drive it on the road - even just the parade route - decked out in police livery was astonishing.

And people really are foolish enough to ask if it's a real, working police car.
Pyoor Kate
The Electric Minor Project
The Current Fleet:
1969 Morris 'thou, 4 Door. 2010 Mitsubishi iMiEV. 1920s BSA Pushbike. 1930s Raleigh pushbike.
The Ex-Fleet:
1974 & 1975 Daf 44s, 1975 Enfield 8000 EV, 1989 Yugo 45, 1981 Golf Mk1, 1971 Vauxhall Viva, 1989 MZ ETZ 125, 1989 Volvo Vario 340, 1990, 1996 & 1997 MZ/Kanuni ETZ 251s
Desires:
Trabant 601, Tatra T603, Series II Landy, Moskvitch-401, Vincent HRD Black Shadow, Huge garage, Job in Washington State.
Jay-Minor
Minor Fan

Post by Jay-Minor »

in contrast to what Kate says, i got in touch with my local force and they say it's okay for me to drive with the police on providing i don't use the flashing blue light
"Jay" Suffering from Morris Minor addiction.
(no known cure)
Lucky owner of a 1967 4 door saloon "Mildred" THE BEAST
http://www.mini-steam.co.uk
http://www.sadmog.morrisminor.com
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

Hers was for driving in London, which might be different.
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

Colours again depend on the force. Most were Bermuda Blue base plus Police White for doors and sometimes roof. Lancashire and one or two others used Old English White plus Black.

Interestingly, the Met do still have a Minor Panada car on active service. Part of the museum fleet it is still used to go and take the odd statement, for PR work, and to patrol special events such as L2B.
Pyoor_Kate
Minor Addict

Post by Pyoor_Kate »

Ah, that may explain their concerns...
Pyoor Kate
The Electric Minor Project
The Current Fleet:
1969 Morris 'thou, 4 Door. 2010 Mitsubishi iMiEV. 1920s BSA Pushbike. 1930s Raleigh pushbike.
The Ex-Fleet:
1974 & 1975 Daf 44s, 1975 Enfield 8000 EV, 1989 Yugo 45, 1981 Golf Mk1, 1971 Vauxhall Viva, 1989 MZ ETZ 125, 1989 Volvo Vario 340, 1990, 1996 & 1997 MZ/Kanuni ETZ 251s
Desires:
Trabant 601, Tatra T603, Series II Landy, Moskvitch-401, Vincent HRD Black Shadow, Huge garage, Job in Washington State.
davidmayo
Minor Friendly

Post by davidmayo »

thanks, guys

so from what i gather it is a possible project if i can get all the explicit parts of a police morris

i am still very interested in findind out what the exact colour of my car actually is. it is a pale light blue but i dont know what you would call it or where to buy the paint for that matter. i will try to put a picture of it on soon.