Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
YummyMummy
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

What have I done ????

Post by YummyMummy »

I have just put a bid in on the Moggie on ebay :D (see post by Maggie below)

Only thing is I DIDNT GO AND LOOK AT HIM! :oops:

If the bid stands I really hope I havn't made a big mistake, I've heard the horror stories of how badly the tin rot bites!
DanRodd
Minor Fan

Post by DanRodd »

you havent met reserve so you wont win it!

YummyMummy
Minor Friendly

Post by YummyMummy »

Oh yes I have, been listed as the highest bidder.
Its the one in Callington - 45 mins to go !! :-?
DanRodd
Minor Fan

Post by DanRodd »

i was looking at a different one then lol
mmm just had a look,obviously if you like it then go for it,but personally i wouldnt pay much more than that,the bits about "several coats of black underseal" and plastic front wings are a bit worrying,and it looks a bit of a "tarts handbag" (very shiny as if its only just been done)but then again it could be fine.its the underbelly that needs to be good,anything else can be sorted easily.

YummyMummy
Minor Friendly

Post by YummyMummy »

Oh well I was the winning bidder, going to be a 'proper' MMOC member :D - I really, really hope I havn't bought a
"tarts handbag"
All slap & no knickers ! :wink:

I'll keep you all posted - shall see what it's really like within the next few days
DanRodd
Minor Fan

Post by DanRodd »

if its rotten underneath walk away,you are within your rights on ebay if its not as described.

Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

I'd say at that price you have done well! The description suggests that major problems have been attended to correctly and if it matches the description then hand over the money and drive it away. If it's as good as described then you've bagged a bargain!
Older and more confused than I could ever imagine possible.
Orkney
Minor Legend

Post by Orkney »

hope it works out OK for you, but PLEASE take someone with you who knows the cars - give the underside a thorough check - take a sharp nail and a magnet t check that any dubious areas arent filler!
if in doubt run it to a local garage and ramp it for 10 mins and get a proper look.
Buying a car unseen is a bit mad.
http://mog.myfreeforum.org
d_harris
Minor Legend

Post by d_harris »

Linky?

Orkney
Minor Legend

Post by Orkney »

d_harris
Minor Legend

Post by d_harris »

I;m with pete. Seems like a bit of a bargain. Make sure you have a good look before parting with cash though. remember that losing one feedback score on ebay is better than losing £1500.

wibble_puppy
Minor Legend

Post by wibble_puppy »

Engine bay looks clean and tidy. I do hope that the photos all being taken in the shade is not a bad sign. Let us know how you get on, yummymummy! :D
YummyMummy
Minor Friendly

Post by YummyMummy »

Oh well, bitten the bullet & Nico is now sitting outside my front door. Chickened out & my other half drove him home (although I did have a little drive around the village)
He's not quite as shiney as the pics made out, the last respray was not the best of jobs, but it looks OK from a few feet.
Chromes a little pitted (to be expected)
Engine runs well - given the speed DH drove home at, but seems a litte lumpy at tickover - needs new air filter as old one is black - DH wants to fit a K&N
Brakes were 'interesting' need some adjusting (I hope) and/or an upgrade may be in order.
Tomorrow my aim is to give him a good clean as then I should be able to pick up all the 'little' things, although I won't be able to get that lovely waxoil off the underside (a job to look forward to pre painting)
So plan as of tonight is to:
1. Sort the brakes
2. Replace seat belts & add rear ones
Will add more as & when. Although there may be some interesting alterations happening if DH gets his way.
Thing is he bought me a grease gun as a present - what more can a girl want ?? :D
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Looks very smart in the pics - I think you got a good deal there, and it has a good long MOT. I recently bought a TR7 'blind' on ebay - and it's been fine ! My only comment is that it's a pity when they fitted new number plates - that they didn't get the old style black/silver plates which the car is entitled to wear - but easily changed if you want to do that. Good luck with it - and lots of help and advice on here any time of the day. There's always someone on duty.
ImageImage
YummyMummy
Minor Friendly

Post by YummyMummy »

The mileage looks to be genuine as well as there were old MOT certs going back to 1990 which list mileage as 53K. One of the owners had insurance for only 1500 miles/year and the chap I bought it off only insured for 2000 miles.
Also the MOT's list the car as being Grey or Blue previously which probably explains the blue seats.
Orkney
Minor Legend

Post by Orkney »

Sounds great ! hope you'll be very happy with your new grease gun :-)
For the brakes you might want to try a 'do your brakes' kit - everything bar the drums I think- very reasonable cost and when working properly you wont want an upgrade.
Bull Motif do such a kit advertised in latest price list - I'm sure the others might too but that one springs to mind - best £100 and afternoons work you can spend :-)
http://mog.myfreeforum.org
wibble_puppy
Minor Legend

Post by wibble_puppy »

enjoy your lovely car! :D great to have a low mileage. hope the brakes don't present you with any problems - get in there! :D 8)
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

have fun with your moggie the brakes are fine as long as you keep them adjusted up. i find that i forget about modern driving style. just brake a bit earlier .they are great cars and i have loads of fun in mine.
[sig]5641[/sig]
YummyMummy
Minor Friendly

Post by YummyMummy »

I'm sure I will become used to doing that amongst other things :) It was just a little disconcerting after driving my little fiat which has very light accelerator/brakes to jump in the moggie where lead boots were needed (obvious room for improvement)

Fay
DanRodd
Minor Fan

Post by DanRodd »

yes,you need heavier shoes!