Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MoggyTech
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

What Spares Do You Keep Handy

Post by MoggyTech »

I think this could get quite interesting, maybe hide the result from the 'other half' :o

After 5 years of Moggy ownership, I was taking stock, and to be honest, the spares area is kinda frightning. There is some stuff I bought thinking it would be a part that failed regularly. This is were sods law comes into play, you guessed it, never needed those bits :)

This list is from memory, and by no means complete.

Two rear brake cylinders, Master Cylinder, Rear Brake Shoes, Pair of front brake discs (Marina), Rear Hub, Two rear hub bearings, complete clutch, 1098 gearbox casing and 95% of the bits that came out of it. Two pairs engine/gearbox mounting rubbers, Head Gasket, timing chain, Indicator Flasher, two front light units, front brake pads, hockey stick, two headlight bezels, steering rack gator, front grill, pair of gas shocks, clutch linkage assy, pair of prop shaft UJ's, ignition switch, two coils, numerous gaskets, starter motor, distributor, two flexi brake pipe hoses, plus all the usual service items like plugs points condensors, dizzy caps.

I think there is more in the shed, but I'm afraid to look :o
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

From memory, the list includes 3 pick up beds, half a dozen cab backs, 2 chassis, at least two exhausts, several engines, panels, steering racks, props, decrepit wings - oh, and all the stuff you have :D I *know* there's far more than that, but would never be able to list it all...
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

Ever thought of flogging the lot Andrew, that way you could fund just one pick-up and be on the road!!!
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

I dont even want to think about it, it would be far far too scary
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

les wrote:Ever thought of flogging the lot Andrew, that way you could fund just one pick-up and be on the road!!!
Often - but a lot of it's VERY used, and I don't think there'd be many takers :(
Sidney'61
Minor Legend

Post by Sidney'61 »

Well I've only been in the minor scene for less than a year and I'm not even old enough to drive yet but being the 'beginner who needs all the help he can get' I get given everyone elses spares at the branch meetings, I also managed to find an ex-moggy restorer and bought everything that was left in his garage! So even though I don't really know what most of the parts are I've got quite a few little moggy bits and tools laying around the garage and the shed that will probably never be used.
Andy W____________1961 2-door 948cc (Sidney)_____________1963 2-door 1275cc (Emily)_______

bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

Chuck up some pics for an ID parade :D
MoggyTech
Minor Legend

Post by MoggyTech »

bigginger wrote:Chuck up some pics for an ID parade :D
I think we would all need an extremely wide angle lense :P
RogerRust
Minor Legend

Post by RogerRust »

And you carry all these spares in the car?

This message board is like a family - you can't choose the other members!! But remember engine oil is thicker than water.
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

the only things i have in the car are fuel pump,dizzy cap ht leads spark plugs,rotorarm fan belt tool kit,just to get me out of trouble.
[sig]5641[/sig]
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Often - but a lot of it's VERY used, and I don't think there'd be many takers
Clear it all out and get piece of mind! Ask me how I know
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

I believe you - but not until I know I've still got all the bits for putting 2 more pick-ups together...
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

You can have too much of a good thing!
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

Yup - but when people offer you a pick-up cheaply or for free 'cos 'otherwise it's the crusher'... Then there's my ebay shed one*, but that's another story :D
a

*OK, two...
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

the only things i have in the car are fuel pump,dizzy cap ht leads spark plugs,rotorarm fan belt tool kit,just to get me out of trouble.
Dont forget some wire and cable ties just in case your gearbox crossmember happens to come loose :wink:
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

very apt kevin are you going on roger rusts trip to twinwoods?
[sig]5641[/sig]
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Wish I could but I am on holiday and I wont be at the next branch or committee meetings either :(
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

over the years i have kept engines , gearboxes, diffs, axles etc etc and only used i light bulb, pair of uprights and a dynamo
so now dont need anything i have kept all for sale
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Yes, it's sometimes good when things go wrong, that way you can put the spare on, rather than store it for ever, although with a Minor the latter is usually the case!
dunketh
Minor Legend

Post by dunketh »

I hold practically no spares.
The thing is, provided you keep an eye on everything you should never be in a position where something fails unexpectedly. (I have been but its all my own fault for not keeping an eye on things! lol)
Things like dynos and starters can be 'lived without' for the couple of days it takes to source replacements.

I have had lots of old parts over the last few years but most are pretty dodgy so go in the bin. My biggest regret was selling my old 1098 engine, that was really sweet and I really wish I'd kept it and rebuilt it into something crazy.
What would Macgyver do..?