Charles Ware, what are they like

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
rich-legg
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by rich-legg »

A lot of the time, the only way to keep a restoration within a customers budget is to either use lots of filler, or have lower hourly rates. When I do a resto for someone, I always go for the latter.

I would say a lot of older style of companies would go with the former, mainly because they can get away with high labour rates, and because filler was an easier & more acceptable 'back in the day'.
moggie-tom
Minor Fan

Post by moggie-tom »

£13000 for a full rebuild :o well if I was stupidly rich...

Mittsy '68 2-door
Blaketon
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Blaketon »

Speaking as a former customer, they have some competent enough welders. I wish I could say the same of their fitters and of the communications between customer and workshop.
moggie-tom wrote:£13000 for a full rebuild :o well if I was stupidly rich...
I wouldn't call that excessive provided the job is done properly!!!
monty55
Minor Friendly

Post by monty55 »

alfabob wrote:many thanks, does anyone know of any bodyshops in the South Wales area? Not being in the trade anymore i only know about the big shops who would not be interested
I've used Seawall MOT (Seawall Road behind tremorfa steelworks) for the past couple of years (found through the Fiat Coupe forum). I've never had body work done, but they are a genuine bunch. If you take your Moggie down there and say them were recommended, they will know I recommended them :D
Ask to look at some of their work - if you go on a sat morning, I can pop down - I need a price on a rusty bootlid repair.
wibble_puppy
Minor Legend

Post by wibble_puppy »

I recently did a full resto of my van, which had been restored at Charles Ware's a few years before. I was quite surprised at what I found, and would be happy to share my observations (off the forum, to avoid transgressing against the rule about saying negative things about traders). 8)

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Cunningly put Wibble!
ImageImage
lynda
Minor Fan

Post by lynda »

You can pm pskipper as well, if you want to hear a tale of terror and torched minors :o
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

This thread is raising alarm bells among the Mods - could we drop the threat of horror stories now? I think PLENTY has been said, and enough offers of more provided, and it would be wise not to sail any closer to the legal wind, or the thred will be modified/locked.