Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jesst
MMOC Member: No

paint work - i'm having the worst week!

Post by jesst »

OK team

a new question...

today, as my boot is currently stuck closed with all my washing stuff in it I took my precious morris minor 1000 to get washed in my local friendly car wash.

Now it has been washed and waxed it looks to have worn the paint a little and the paint work has a kind of water stained effect. What is this? I tried rubbing it clean but to no effect.

My worst idea is that a chemical cleaner must have stripped the paint a little. What should i do to restore my moggy to premium shining condition?

I feel like although i love my car loads and have done what i consider to be a lot of reading on the subject I am making naive mistakes.

any advice welcome

Jess, Glasgow (again - twice this week!)
purplebargeken
Minor Fan

Post by purplebargeken »

The car wash..... was it the brillo pad automated type or the slightly better 'hand wash' variety?

What was the paint like before hand? Any pics of the affected areas?

Ken
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Friendly car wash is there such a thing I would only use a hand car wash, if you have water marks are they on top of the polish as it might have been caused by it being to hot.
As Ken suggests have you a before and after photo's you could post up.
What did you try cleaning the marks off with if it was me I would try a gentle polish like Mer which actually works best on a damp car and is not affected by sunlight like many polishes.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Try some T-cut and plenty of elbow grease. Surely not difficult to buy a bucket and use a cloth!! The paint on the car must be very 'fragile' to be affected by a car wash! You should never ever allow anyone to 'pressure wash' the car.
ImageImage
jesst

Post by jesst »

ok - here's a picture! certainly i have been staring at it for a good while and think it has a look of water marks - polish?<br>Image<br>
jesst

Post by jesst »

here's another<br>Image<br>
jesst

Post by jesst »

the pressure wash thing makes sense - certainly i had never heard that. I will get some T Cut first thing. basically I am open to learn anything and everything about how bets to look after her.

Thank you for all the support<br>Image<br>
RogerRust
Minor Legend

Post by RogerRust »

I'm sure they are just water marks. You probably don't need Tcut just some good polish and elbow grease.

This message board is like a family - you can't choose the other members!! But remember engine oil is thicker than water.
8009STEVE
Minor Legend

Post by 8009STEVE »

As Roger has said, try a panel with polish. If OK then polish the rest. If not, then try T-cut and polish. If still no good then other options are available.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Have you tried Rattrays for the keys yet? This would solve the problem in future - by releasing your washing kit!
ImageImage
wibble_puppy
Minor Legend

Post by wibble_puppy »

Hi Jess,

Weird marks, eh. Hope they come out okay with polishing.

I'm sure you know that T-Cut works by abrading the paint - in other words it removes a thin layer of the paint (a very thin layer) - and revealing the nice clean paint underneath. A bit like exfoliating the skin on your face. Except of course paint can't grow back like skin can. So have a care when using T-Cut - a very very gentle hand and lots of time and patience.

The vast majority of polishes on the market also work by abrading the surface of the paint. It's only a tiny bit, but over time it will add up. So, yeah, go very gently with them.

Good luck and let us know how you get on :)

wibble 8)