News from the National!

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
LouiseM
MMOC Member: No

News from the National!

Post by LouiseM »

Greetings from Sparkford. After a very eventful journey finally arrived at the campsite around 4pm.

Met Darren (DP) and Phillippa as planned this morning. He was in two minds whether to go in his Minor as it hadn't been running too well earlier but we set off on the M25, then M3 and A303. We stopped at Popham services for lunch. Darren filled up with petrol and was just pulling out of the petrol station when his car caught fire!! Flames were coming out fom under the car and bonnet and at one point were around 6ft high. Luckily there were fire extinguishers to hand but considerable damage has been caused to the engine bay and bonnet. The fire brigade were called and obviously the petrol pumps had to be shut down and we were all pretty shaken up by it.

No idea at the moment about what caused the fire but it could have been much, much worse if it had happened on the road. It was awful to see but thankfully no-one was hurt. Phillippa was already out of the car and Darren got out quickly. The car is covered in white powder inside and out from the extinguisher.

The AA was going to take them home but they are planning to come back down to the rally tonight so no doubt we'll get more details later. (If you're reading this Darren & Phillippa I hope you're ok and got home safely!) Not a great start to the weekend!

For those of you coming down to Sparkford, traffic wise the A303 near Boscombe Down is down to one lane due to roadworks and there was around 2 miles of tailbacks, and it was very slow by Stonehenge, oherwise the route was surprisingly clear.

Lou & Jon are here, along with a few others. The camping ground is huge -plenty of space for everyone. The website banner is up so you'll probably spot us but when you enter the campsite we're round to the right, by the only tree on site. The toilets and showers will be arriving tomorrow and at the moment we are using the toilet facilities at the museum. There are around 50 tents/campers at the moment.

Thunder is rumbling and there has been some impressive lighting. The are quite a lot of midges around so if your susceptible to bites make sure you bring cream / spray with you.

I don't have a great battery life on my laptop so can't spend too much time on here but I'll log on again later tonight. If anyone has an specific question about the site post it here and I'll try to answer it.

Lou

Eric - 1971 Traveller
Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

Glad everyone is OK. Had a bit of an eventful day myself with a unavoidable fuel pump replacement.
I was travelling along the 303 in my mates Astra and saw a tiny caravan being pulled by a cream Minor van. Any idea who that was?
Older and more confused than I could ever imagine possible.
dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

Just to update, Philippa and I have just got home. Most importantly no-one is hurt.

We won't come back up tonight as it's a bit late to set off. Please keep us a space for tomorrow.

I've had a quick poke around under the bonnet but it's difficult to see an obvious source especially through the white powder. (Not that type, we didn't go on to Glastonbury!) Several fuel pipes are burned through but still attached at both ends. (They were all brand new pipes).

The fire extinguishers' residue has covered the engine bay and cockpit in dust which isn't a problem cleanliness wise but makes breathing difficult. I'll have to throw some buckets of water over to see properly.

There are a lot of things that are charred in there. I'm on two minds between staying up late, refitting the original manifold and replacing the fuel hoses or just leaving it and coming up in the modern. Part of me wants to be gung ho, get back on the horse and part is wary of unspotted fire damage. The flames have curved around the bonnet from one side to the other and melted the top of the fuse box. Everything I can see I can repair or replace overnight but there may be something else damaged I haven't seen.

The car isn't written off by any means but my motivation has taken a battering. The pain to reward ratio hasn't been favourable for a while.

Quote of the event:

"Were you going to Glastonbury?"
"No"
"Shame, I could have bought your parking ticket"
MColes
Minor Legend

Post by MColes »

lou I got my laptop with me if your battery dies, mines got loads of power left as I can't get an internet connection and can use my phone anyway.

Give me a shout if you want to use it. I'm only up in the corner not far from you :lol:
Matt Coles
Young Members Registrar

Find out more about the Young Members Register HERE
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

OK, thanks Matt. It's got around 6 hours left so should last the weekend if I post sparingly!

Eric - 1971 Traveller
wibble_puppy
Minor Legend

Post by wibble_puppy »

((((((((((((((dp))))))))))))))) really sorry to hear about the fireball incident, dude :(

alainmoran
Minor Addict

Post by alainmoran »

Heh, is there an MMOC twitter feed?

Sorry to hear about your fire, I think you are right to take your time about finding the real problem and to come in the modern though ... I know, but hey!
dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

Thanks Alain & Wibble. Getting up v early tomorrow to head up and beat the festival traffic. Should be in bed but still wide awake on adrenalin
dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

Mostly powder that wipes off main damage inside
alainmoran
Minor Addict

Post by alainmoran »

Oh dear, and that powder is a chuffer to get off too ... at least you didnt have fibre wings like me ... I would have melted!!!
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

glad to here you are ok,that must have been very scary,lou how was the drive down with your new engine.
[sig]5641[/sig]
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

The drive was fine Dale - engine running very well.

For those of you coming here, the update is that the only showers we will be getting is rain! Suggest you pack some wet wipes if you don't want to be too whiffy on Sunday.

Eric - 1971 Traveller
iandromiskin
Minor Fan

Post by iandromiskin »

:o . That must have been a horrible experience and something one never wants to experience.

Glad to hear you were all ok but obviously shaken and your car isn't damaged too much. It'll be back on the road soon no doubt.
Gertie, 1962 Saloon, Milly, 1969 Traveller (ex APL 971H) and now KAS 1958 4 Door Saloon.
[img]http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t28/iandromiskin/DSC_0051-1.jpg[/img][img]http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t28/iandromiskin/Picture112.jpg[/img][img]http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t28/iandromiskin/Picture366.jpg[/img]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnDuQIOtYcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuhsoEd1GhQ
PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

I just heard on the radio that Chris Evans will be at Haynes tomorrow...
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

thats excellant :lol: :lol:
[sig]5641[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Who is Chris Evans ?????????
ImageImage
PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

bmcecosse wrote:Who is Chris Evans ?????????
Multi Millionaire Radio 2 presenter who owns (used to own?) a Minor convertible....
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Why did he get rid of it - or is he taking it along to the show ? Can't say i've heard of him - but then I don't listen to the wireless very much.
ImageImage
ani
Minor Addict

Post by ani »

Believe me you wouldn't want to listen to him :D He's not exactly a John Humphries!

Squiggle
Minor Addict

There in spirit!

Post by Squiggle »

Hi all,

Have been thinking of you all and so sorry not to be well enough to drive.

I hope you are having a wonderful time and there's always next year.

Warm wishes

1952 Series MM, 918cc sidevalve, 4 door saloon in Empire Green with a matching hotwater bottle
0-60 eventually