Spot light help.

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Zonda_
MMOC Member: No

Spot light help.

Post by Zonda_ »

Hi, my mate has recently acquired a 1955 Minor and while he's happy with it he told me last night that the headlights are very poor and he wanted to put a set of period spotlights on it but was having no luck locating a set. Can anyone point me in the direction of where to buy a set from and are there any upgrades he can do to make the standard headlights a little better?

Thanks in advance.
flowersGTR
Minor Friendly

Post by flowersGTR »

i think the easiest thing to do is to upgrade the headlights from the original sealed beam to halogen. its just a simple swap and they work as well as any modern headlight. make sure the headlights are adjusted properly as well if they are pointing too high then they may seem ineffective.

http://morrisminorspares.co.uk/shop/ind ... 21732af458
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

The best value for money halogens are Wipac Quadoptics. Don't go for Ring, the beam pattern is rubbish. If you want even more light then you can buy uprated H4 bulbs.
[sig]3580[/sig]
Alec
Minor Legend

Post by Alec »

Hello Zonda,

I agree with what has been said earlier, however, the more efficient halogen lamps will not be that good if all the wiring connections are in poor condition. Ideally, if you have a voltmeter check the voltage at various points on the loom to see if you are getting all the possible voltage at the lamps themselves.
Incandescent lamp light output is very voltage sensitive which is why a good relay installation generally gives better light output for a given type of lamp.

Alec
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Don't get higher rated bulbs for those headlights - a) because they are illegal b) because the wiring won't handle the increased current and c) because the dynamo won't keep up with the charge!
However - you CAN fit 'WHITE' versions of the halogen bulbs which put out more visible light for the same 55watt power consumption. Don't get the silly 'blue' bulbs ! There is no need for spot lights unless going Rallying! Any additional lighting will need an alternator (or some clever tricks with the dynamo charging system!) fitting - if you don't have one already.
ImageImage
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

Hi, my mate has recently acquired a 1955 Minor and while he's happy with it he told me last night that the headlights are very poor and he wanted to put a set of period spotlights on it but was having no luck locating a set. Can anyone point me in the direction of where to buy a set from and are there any upgrades he can do to make the standard headlights a little better?
I'm surprised that nobody mentioned it yet, but if the headlights are really old, they may not have 55w bulbs! If the reflectors are in a poor state the light will be reduced. Either way, new halogens will be a worthwhile upgrade.

You can get halogen 7" sealed beam units but it's usually easier to get non-sealed beam units and fit halogen bulbs in them.
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

I am running 7in Halogen headlights + a pair of Lucas 55W fog lights wired through the main beam switch with a C39 dynamo on my Series MM with no problems. The fog lights give a wide beam around corners on country roads.
I was refering to the uprated 60/55W bulbs in my earlier post not the 130/90W bulbs which are probably difficult to find anyway
[sig]3580[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Your dynamo won't match headlights + side lights + fog lights+ heater + wipers!
ImageImage
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

The ammeter shows a slight discharge with the heater and wipers on but the battery will recharge running on dips. That is why I have the biggest battery which will fit in the tray and a starting handle!
[sig]3580[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

There are ways to force more from the dynamo - but it doesn't help it's life!
ImageImage
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

I see that the Moss catalogue advertises an alternator disguised as a C40 dynamo. A snip at £389.95!
Last edited by mike.perry on Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
[sig]3580[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Compared to a heater at £86 -I agree!
ImageImage
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

bmcecosse wrote: There is no need for spot lights unless going Rallying!
Why just for Rallying, there are plenty of owners that just like the period look of them.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

If you so wish - just no need to switch them on, and flatten the battery! Modern headlights give plenty of light if set correctly - for normal motoring.
Last edited by bmcecosse on Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
ratrodmog
Minor Fan

Post by ratrodmog »

As another option, I have a set of Lucus spotlights for sale. http://www.morrisminoroc.co.uk/index.ph ... ic&t=27936
Bash's Speed Shop