Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
aupickup
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Re: Its back

Post by aupickup »

but any one can insure with footman james and get the same discounts club member or not
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

Trade:
1. the act or process of buying, selling, or exchanging commodities, at either wholesale or retail, within a country or between countries: domestic trade; foreign trade.
2. a purchase or sale; business deal or transaction.
3. an exchange of items, usually without payment of money.
4. any occupation pursued as a business or livelihood.
5. some line of skilled manual or mechanical work; craft: the trade of a carpenter; printer's trade.
6. people engaged in a particular line of business: a lecture of interest only to the trade.
7. market: an increase in the tourist trade.
8. a field of business activity: a magazine for the furniture trade.
9. the customers of a business establishment.
10. Informal. trade paper.

Depends on where you look Jon, I suppose.
Anyway, this is a distraction from the issue
The club will promote its services however it chooses.

I'd say that this, is more than clear (was that club or committee)
Simply a decision has been taken to adopt Aon/FJ, presumably at committee level. Maybe an explanation of why FJ was chosen above Peter Best and the like would be helpful, to dispel the possible notion of the highest bidder or favouratism from a club which is meant to show impartiality

Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

Last time I renewed my policy with Peter Best I was asked if I was a member of the MMOC. So FJ are not the only insurer to offer discount.
Older and more confused than I could ever imagine possible.
bpr81a
Minor Legend

Post by bpr81a »

Peetee wrote:Last time I renewed my policy with Peter Best I was asked if I was a member of the MMOC. So FJ are not the only insurer to offer discount.
Some insurers require you to be a member of a club before they offer insurance at all.

Jonathon, I suggest you take this up with the Club Secretary - contact details in Minor Matters.

Jon Rocke
billlobban
Minor Addict

Post by billlobban »

I must point out before this argument sorry discussion goes any further I'm insured by FJ and have been extremely happy with them!
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Can I advertise my Series MM regalia?
[sig]3580[/sig]
billlobban
Minor Addict

Post by billlobban »

Apparently only if you donate a substantial sum to the club :roll:
pao7psb
Minor Fan

Post by pao7psb »

As I understand, the Club enhancement is that you get unlimited mileage thrown in on your policy FOC. This was the situation when I first purchased insurance with FJ a year ago, I have recently renewed on the same terms.

Cheers,

Paul.
[sig]9354[/sig]
Sometimes it is better to obtain forgiveness rather than permission...
Snowdrop - 1967 4 Door Saloon
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

i have had unlimited mileage from FJ before i was a member of the mmoc :D :D they do that any way for any one
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

Decided to take Jon's advice, and try again to obtain a definative answer about why the MMOC run a policy which seems to be contrary to the MMOC code of practice.
Does anyone have a question regarding this matter that they wish me to include, if so please PM me or post it on here. I'll send an email at the weekend to allow any contributions to be compiled.

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

And I get unlimited mileage with my RH Classic insurance - and no annoying Logo to get in the way! I really don't see that the 'Club' is getting any advantage for it's Members here, apart from advertising income - unless there is a hidden agenda?
ImageImage
bloggsy74

Post by bloggsy74 »

As far as I'm aware from discussions at the AGM, FJ are chosen to be the Club insurers becuase they offer favourable terms to the membership. This is obviously promoted by the MMOC who in return receive a commission on each policy sold, thus funding goes towards everything the Club does and to help keep subscription fees as low as possible.
sgray
Minor Fan

Post by sgray »

bloggsy74 wrote:This is obviously promoted by the MMOC who in return receive a commission on each policy sold
I think that's the first time I've heard that. I had always assumed that FJ paid MMOC for the advert and that the reason that it keeps re-appearing is that there was an agreement in place to show the advert on the site.

But if the MMOC is receiving commission from the amount we pay (if we use FJ) then it's in MMOCs interest to show the advert as often as possible.

I'm not naive, I realise that the club is trying to generate funds, but I'm always slightly wary of accepting a recommendation from someone who has a vested interest in making a sale. A bit likely going to your bank to meet a financial advisor. FJ do discount membership to MMOC members, but perhaps not all of that discount comes direct to us - if some of it's going back to the MMOC as commission.

I may be entirely wrong and the membership fees have been decreasing year on year as a result of the FJ deal.

Simon
1970 Minor 1000 Pickup - Blue
Oxfordshire/Buckinghamshire borders
Oxon & Berks MMOC branch member and webmaster - http://www.bucksinfo.net/mogbox

jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

bloggsy74 wrote:As far as I'm aware from discussions at the AGM, FJ are chosen to be the Club insurers becuase they offer favourable terms to the membership. This is obviously promoted by the MMOC who in return receive a commission on each policy sold, thus funding goes towards everything the Club does and to help keep subscription fees as low as possible.
So in theory then, if I offered a discount on all of my services and sent 10% to the MMOC I should be able to advertise on here and in the magazine? I think not. Remove the finance side of your argument and it shows the MMOC in clear view that it favours one insurance company over all others. Depending on ones defenition of 'trader ' this is clearly against MMOC policy, otherwise why cannot any trader pay to be favoured, and promoted.

billlobban
Minor Addict

Post by billlobban »

jonathon wrote:So in theory then, if I offered a discount on all of my services and sent 10% to the MMOC
What a good idea :) :)
But then again you'd have to put your prices up to pay for the discount and the donation. Dont suppose FJ do that or do they? :wink:
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

1) I don't like the advertising on the forum, but with Firefox, I don't see it anyway, so what's the problem?
2) JLH are good. There are other good companies. Opinions wary, so how could anyone decide who could advertise and who couldn't?
3) Given the premium that FJ have charged me, I can't see how they could load premiums to skim the donations. They are brokers, the policy is underwritten by R&SA. Someone drove into one of our Minors last week, and the service from insurers has been superb. I know that the Club does research these things, and, in my experience, they have chosen well.
4) Perhaps a separate page for "Club Services" and another for "Trade Advertising" would accommodate everyone?
PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

simmitc wrote: 4) Perhaps a separate page for "Club Services" and another for "Trade Advertising" would accommodate everyone?
Suggested and ignored many times before :roll:
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

No-one has any quibbles with FJ as Insurers (as far as I know) - the problem is that they ARE being allowed to advertise - and NO ONE else is allowed to advertise! :roll:
ImageImage
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

Its the double standards that irritaes me so much, which is why I'll keep droning on about it. (sorry) :D
I'm sure that FJ are good insurers, thiis is not being contested. However from what several folk have said on here the 'club' benefits can be had even by none members. I hope too that this promotion of FJ has been researched, and if it has then I would like to know why it was chosen over the other companies.
As for advertising on this website , its the way forward so long as it is integrated subtly, and on a page that you go to rather than have it thrust in our faces. A well concieved 'traders 'page would be a valuable asset to members and non members, and the trade.

Timbohan
Minor Friendly

Post by Timbohan »

jonathon wrote:Its the double standards that irritaes me so much

I'll second that. I was told to remove a link in my signiture as it pointed to my own commercial website. Yet other people are allowed, the site even had a links page until it was revamped.

I'd gladly offer 10% discount to MMOC members but would it be classed as advertising?

Tim.