Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Rasputin
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

JLH

Post by Rasputin »

I see from the other site that Jonathan from JLH has been banned from this site!!!!! :evil:
Pyoor_Kate
Minor Addict

Re: JLH

Post by Pyoor_Kate »

Yeah, I just got a mail from him to alert me to the fact I can't PM him on here anymore (since we occasionally used it for info about my car).

I'm very disappointed, as the best supplier & restorer I've encountered and a great source of information it's a huge loss to the MMOC Forum. While I understand that his position on the T&Cs must have been uncomfortable to the moderators, I'd not seen any posts that transgressed them (I understand at some point he mentioned that his company produced a part which isn't available from anyone else when someone asked if they were available - without directly stating that it was JLH who produced it - when no one else had mentioned any sources for the part. While I can see that to the letter of the T&Cs that's contravening it, but then so are all the suppliers / restorers who put their company details in their Sigs... imho).

Anyhow. I'm disappointed, I'll pop off a proper message to the mods at some point (*waves at the mods*) but I'm currently engaged in decorating the house (or at least I should be, but I had a quick look at e-mails), and want to write something sensible. I hope we can get him back on the board, although whether he'll want to come back on here I dunno.

:)
Pyoor Kate
The Electric Minor Project
The Current Fleet:
1969 Morris 'thou, 4 Door. 2010 Mitsubishi iMiEV. 1920s BSA Pushbike. 1930s Raleigh pushbike.
The Ex-Fleet:
1974 & 1975 Daf 44s, 1975 Enfield 8000 EV, 1989 Yugo 45, 1981 Golf Mk1, 1971 Vauxhall Viva, 1989 MZ ETZ 125, 1989 Volvo Vario 340, 1990, 1996 & 1997 MZ/Kanuni ETZ 251s
Desires:
Trabant 601, Tatra T603, Series II Landy, Moskvitch-401, Vincent HRD Black Shadow, Huge garage, Job in Washington State.
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

Agreed, it is a shame and a great loss to the forum. I have learnt a lot over the years from reading Jonothan's posts.
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
billlobban
Minor Addict

Post by billlobban »

Personally I find the 'banning' of JLH simply disgraceful. Although I have spent about a tenner with him over the last year his FREE advice has simply been invaluable. The Supplier of the Year Thread has had to date 829 views none of which had a bad word to say about the man.
Since the 'club' is allegedly a democratic body I would ask the powers that be to publish in full their reasons for the ban.
Jonathon's departure is our loss not his :evil: :evil: :evil:
dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

It is indeed a shame. Many people on here have been helped on here by Jonathon over the years, I think he was at over 10,000 posts and his quality work has helped give us the option to have improvements such as better brakes or performance should we wish.

While none of the above is grounds for an exception to the terms and conditions, I think the rest of us are entitled to a proper explanation of what has happened in a transparent way. It would harm the committee and club to appear secretive by giving a vague 'removed for breach of T&Cs' type answer. If we have the facts we can make our own minds up.
GeorgeHurst
Minor Addict

Post by GeorgeHurst »

I too think this is a great shame, Jonathon has given me lots of help and advice both personally through PMs and indirectly through me reading his comments on other peoples posts.

I don't really see any problem with him publicising his services anyway - I think JLH are generally regarded as one of the most reliable and best quality suppliers of modification parts, not to mention excellent and knowledgeable restorers. I have long since held the opinion that it would be acceptable to have a 'Suppliers' section of the forum where suppliers and potential customers can discuss their products. I quite agree that we don't want posts being full of product placements and advertising, but if confined to a dedicated section I can only see that it would help members of the club. It would allow them to contact the suppliers and allow other members give their opinion on the suppliers comments - i.e. commenting on previous possitive or negative experience with service or parts. This would also be a means of putting a little pressure on the suppliers when certain parts they supply or their service is substandard - I can only see that it would benefit club members.
[sig]3218[/sig]<br/>
'Morris' - 1966 1098cc 2dr salloon
RobMoore
Minor Addict

Post by RobMoore »

GeorgeHurst wrote:I too think this is a great shame, Jonathon has given me lots of help and advice both personally through PMs and indirectly through me reading his comments on other peoples posts.

I don't really see any problem with him publicising his services anyway - I think JLH are generally regarded as one of the most reliable and best quality suppliers of modification parts, not to mention excellent and knowledgeable restorers. I have long since held the opinion that it would be acceptable to have a 'Suppliers' section of the forum where suppliers and potential customers can discuss their products. I quite agree that we don't want posts being full of product placements and advertising, but if confined to a dedicated section I can only see that it would help members of the club. It would allow them to contact the suppliers and allow other members give their opinion on the suppliers comments - i.e. commenting on previous possitive or negative experience with service or parts. This would also be a means of putting a little pressure on the suppliers when certain parts they supply or their service is substandard - I can only see that it would benefit club members.
I couldn't agree more George.
Moggieless :(

Another great Moggy orientated Forum.
http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
pjh56
Minor Legend

Post by pjh56 »

He gave me a novice, newbie whatever you like to call it some sound advice, that allowed me to tackle a rogue restorer and get them to put right some shoddy work they had done. He always took the time to get back either by pm or on here with his expert advice, and may I say on one occasion it was for a friend of mines car who was having trouble with a garage after a very costly rubbish respray. There are very few people in the profession who will give their expert advice for free, so I'm afraid this is a loss, to those who are not in the know.

My 1970 2 door saloon Trafalgar Blue
Ian46
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Ian46 »

I am not aware of the exact reasons for Jonathon's banishment but I will say that this website is the most 'moderated' of any that I visit on a regular basis.

I think I have been 'moderated' twice already! Or was it three times?

To ban someone with the knowledge and enthusiasm of Jonathon is a great shame and this site will not be better for it.

Have people forgotten already his contribution to the National Rally last year. Will he want to do that again after this episode?

Moderators please reconsider.

Regards Ian

(This post will self delete in 10 seconds)
Busy collecting parts for my '52 MM Convertible and 1949 Saloon restorations. :o
new_adventures_of_arthur
Minor Fan

Post by new_adventures_of_arthur »

I am shocked!!!!!! I can't believe it!!!!

I dont know the reasons for him getting kicked off, but I know he was always helpful, and was a regular and reliable contributor to these forums - and a nice fella to boot. Whatever the reasons for banning him, I can't help but think the MMOC has cut its nose off to spite its face on this one.

I've always thought the T&C's were always a little over the top anyway (imho), and the moderation a little "fickle". I'm actually suprised that the "supplier of the year" thread managed to last as long as it did - I tried a "who is the best suppliers" a while ago and it got locked after just 1 vote..... http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28118
Have now joined the 'cool kids' at [url]http://www.morrisminorowners.co.uk[/url] :wink:
millerman
Minor Addict

Post by millerman »

MMOC what on earth are you thinking about!!

Please re-instate JLH IMMEDIATELY.

JLH often posts thought provoking topics and it is very useful having comments from the trade.

Or has minor Matters been threatened with losing a full page ad!!!
Alex'n'Ane
Minor Legend

Post by Alex'n'Ane »

Just to say i agree completely with all the comments above, he will be a great loss. Now what was that other minor forum called...
___Anne___

LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

dp wrote: If we have the facts we can make our own minds up.
It's all too easy for people to jump to conclusions without knowing any details but as DP has said, people can make their own minds up once they are aware of the facts. An official response will be posted later to explain the situation.

Eric - 1971 Traveller
Innovator
Minor Fan

Post by Innovator »

I am very surprised that JLH has been banned and would find it interesting to know why.
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

There is an old saying that “Rules exist for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men” (So old that it doesn’t mention wise women :wink: ). Having said that, I have no idea of what has taken place in this case.

Whilst there are some sites that could do with some more moderation, I have to say that sometimes the moderation on here leans towards the obedient rather than the wise. Most people on here are better mannered than on some classic car forums (Though I don’t actually visit that many) and don’t really need to be treated like a bunch of delinquents.

I have disagreed with the moderators myself and my impression is that whether right or wrong, they are always “Right”. That might be OK when it’s a drill sergeant banging some discipline into a recruit but I don’t see the need for it on here. My complaint to club HQ, about the issue of moderation, was submitted best part of a year ago and I still have had no response. As a result, my membership of MMOC is shortly to expire. When that time came, I intended to post a final post, to bid farewell and point out why I am leaving but this thread is perhaps a better place to do so, as it concerns more than just me.
badobsession
Minor Fan

Post by badobsession »

Rasputin wrote:I see from the other site that Jonathan from JLH has been banned from this site!!!!! :evil:
what is the other site or will telling me get us both banned :evil:

SCOTTISH BRANCH CHAIRMAN .
billlobban
Minor Addict

Post by billlobban »

PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

Utter disgrace....
My membership is up for renewal now (jusr resceived mag today) and I'll be voting with my feet.
See you all on the other board from now on :o
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
hotrodder13
Minor Legend

Post by hotrodder13 »

cant beleve this, he was extreamly helpful with his free advise :cry:
freshly painted 1275cc anda very loud big bore exhaust
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

glad i did not rejoin the mmoc if this is wjat it does to a valued man who helps no end on this board with his advice