Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
stubborn_fairy
MMOC Member: No

Advice..

Post by stubborn_fairy »

Hi everyone,

I'm watching a Minor on ebay at the moment, and the owner has commented 'There's recently been a slight smell at high speeds, which I expect is just one of the fluid levels being low, since Madeleine is probably coming up for a service now-ish.' Any ideas as to what the problem might be? I'm a bit concerned the owner 'thinks the levels might be low' but is just driving it around anyway!

On another note, I'm looking to buy a Minor 1000 as my everday car (I do about 17 miles a day, partly in town, partly an 'A' road, partly country lanes). It will be replacing a dull 2005 Clio which has never let me down, is comfortable, dry and pretty economical. Quick survey: Am I insane?

Olivia
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: Advice..

Post by bmcecosse »

Yes - very probably. But the advantage of a Minor is - it's fun, it's road tax free, it gets cheap classic insurance - and it suffers NO depreciation in value if you look after it!
As for the one on ebay - yes - I would wonder about the person happily driving it while thinking a level may be low - if that has been their mind-set all along - the thing may not be in best condition. Can you point us to the car on ebay - or just give the ebay listing number - and we can have a look at it ??
ImageImage
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Found it ! http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1969-MORRIS-MINOR ... 4aa2abd45c

The seller seems to have had to renew just about everything - since buying the car . The reconditioned engine is said to use little oil - so hopefully that's not the possible 'low level' . Best to ask the seller outright - and of course - go and see the car - and take a friend along! And - the MOT is almost run out - so INSIST on a brand new MOT with the car as part of any deal you make. I bought a car (TR7) completely blind from ebay - and it's been fine - but I really really don't recommend that to anyone!
ImageImage
stubborn_fairy

Post by stubborn_fairy »

I suspected as I might be going a bit mad...I was just looking for a clinical diagnosis.

I had an A30 for years and miss the fun... and I'm sick of not being able to find my Clio in Tesco's carpark.

If I buy this car I'll be buying it blind (again, insane) as I don't have time to go down to Winchester to look at it, I'm really banking on the fact that it was Charles Ware'd in 2003.

Any other thoughts people have on this car?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 2759.l1259
stubborn_fairy

Post by stubborn_fairy »

Fair point about the new wings and door... bit strange if it was bought from CW!

Hmmm, given that I can't go and look at it... maybe I should give it a miss! :roll:
stubborn_fairy

Post by stubborn_fairy »

I've also noticed, strangely, that the listing says the car reads 29500, but in the picture of the dash it quite clearly reads 40000.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

It may have been listed before - not sold - done more miles since, and now relisted using the original information. It's safe to say - it will have done more than either mileage in it's lifetime! The only way to have any faith in 'mileage' is if it is backed up by a file of old MOT certificates - showing the mileage year by year.
ImageImage
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

You don't say where you are 'fairy' - but I expect this car to sell very quickly......... http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f= ... 63#p338463
ImageImage
wibble_puppy
Minor Legend

Post by wibble_puppy »

Hi stubbornfairy and welcome to the forum :D and back to the noisy but characterful world of classic motoring 8)

My only piece of advice, since you ask for it - and I spring with great alacrity to offer it - is generated by this part of your post:
stubborn_fairy wrote: I'm really banking on the fact that it was Charles Ware'd in 2003.
Please please DON'T bank, ever, on a car being in a good state because you think that the garage which restored it has a good reputation. Ask around, get people's views, even if you have heard good things about a particular garage from other people in the past. I was in a very similar position to this when I bought my van, trusting in the seller's "It was restored only a few years ago by the wonderful X", and when taking the van back to bare metal for a proper resto found some horrors done by this supposedly reputable garage - a garage with a very big name.

Best of luck tracking down your dream Minor and being able to find your car in Tesco's car park once more :D