17 Year Old Insurance Quest! HELP :-)

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Garswood
MMOC Member: No

17 Year Old Insurance Quest! HELP :-)

Post by Garswood »

Okay guys, wondering if any of you know how I could get insured at 17 with classic car insurance on a Morris Minor? Any good insurance companies or any tips would be much appreciated! :D

Thanks, Dan.

:D
LouiseM

Re: 17 Year Old Insurance Quest! HELP :-)

Post by LouiseM »

If you are a club member there is a young drivers scheme available via Footman James which will insure you even if you are on a provisional licence. You will need to contact them via the dedicated club phone line (0844 875 0596) and quote your membership number. And see this thread on the same topic: http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=32872

Eric - 1971 Traveller
MColes
Minor Legend

Post by MColes »

And if you do have/get a car take a look at this thread and contact me: http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=33456

Catch them straight away don't let them escape :roll: :lol:
Matt Coles
Young Members Registrar

Find out more about the Young Members Register HERE
Garswood

Post by Garswood »

Cheers guys. Well I've just been quoted £500 3rd party, fire and theft, which is unbelievable for a 17 year old! Quote on a Corsa 1.0L (2000) was £2400.

So hopefully, I'll be getting one soon. :)
rossrox
Minor Fan

Post by rossrox »

wierd!!! i was quoted on a minor comprehensive i think £2600 and for a corsa 1.0l was £3300 (im 17 btw) now im settling for a pug 306 d turbo on my mums insurance :D
...............................................ЯR................................................

Sidney'61
Minor Legend

Post by Sidney'61 »

Last year at 17 I paid about £960 fully comp for a minor with a 1275 engine so £500 for a standard minor 3rd party sounds about right, is that from Footman James?
Ross, who did you get the 2600 quote from? that does sound one hell of a lot for a minor! Saying that, I payed £700 this year with FJ for my 1275 and phoned up to see how much it would be to insure me on all four of our minors (the other 3 are standard) they quoted me £3000! As if I'm gonna drive all four simultaneously! :x
Andy W____________1961 2-door 948cc (Sidney)_____________1963 2-door 1275cc (Emily)_______

stephenpolhill
Minor Addict

Post by stephenpolhill »

Mine (same price provisional and full) was £1010 for me and both my parents. This year was £800 for the same. Limited 3000 mileage. Not a bad price :)

Just J-j-j-jiggle it a bit.
'Fiona' - a 1965 original 'C' 2dr in Almond Green
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... bc64c7805b
thenewdoonan

Post by thenewdoonan »

I'm still in the consideration stage of buying a minor, everything was appealing to me, heard about excellent insurance rates that it could be £500 for a 17 year old, provides he ticks all the right boxes.
I was very close to going ahead and buying the car but I heard a nasty little rumour from a local man who would know a bit about cars in general that for the classic car insurance like that I would have already had to have had another insurance policy with another car, I was wondering if somebody could advise me on this, as I am a first time driver I'm a little weary about taking chances like that and having a car that I can't use.
chesney
Minor Legend
Location: Le Tronquay, nr Bayeux, en France - Pop in for a cuppa!

Post by chesney »

It's tosh if you go through the (excellent) Young Members scheme with Footman James.
If not, ask. They will tell you!
lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Post by lambrettalad »

recent posts on this subject here
http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=48980
Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

In general - yes, the Classic Car insurance is intended for a 'second' car - but seems the FJ scheme through the MMOC allows 'Young Members' to insure their Minors at reasonable rates - without the need for an everyday car - which let's face it - Young members don't have !! But as above - ask them for a quote!!
ImageImage
Dave@FJ

Post by Dave@FJ »

rossrox wrote:wierd!!! i was quoted on a minor comprehensive i think £2600 and for a corsa 1.0l was £3300 (im 17 btw) now im settling for a pug 306 d turbo on my mums insurance :D
If you're going to be the main driver of the Peugeot then i'd advise caution.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011/oc ... ts-parents

Can't understand why you'd be quoted £2600 on a Minor. I know of very few people paying over £1000 through the club scheme. A Corsa is probably one of the worst cars for a young driver to try and insure - just imagine how many claims insurers deal with from youngsters in Corsa's!
moggiethouable
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by moggiethouable »

Now you have a quote ask them how much they will reduce the premium for fitting a Disklok or other security devices.
Where angels fear to tread
stephenpolhill
Minor Addict

Post by stephenpolhill »

On the Minor, give Confused.com or other compare sites a shot. I had huge savings but not everyone does. Always worth a shot but you don't get as personal and great service as FJ with Dave ;)

Just J-j-j-jiggle it a bit.
'Fiona' - a 1965 original 'C' 2dr in Almond Green
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... bc64c7805b
mattyb
Minor Fan

Post by mattyb »

My son James paid £760 third party - unlimited mileage - and is 17 years old with a FULL license - thats with Footman J
autolycus
Minor Addict

Post by autolycus »

Don't forget a few other potential snags:

Classic insurance policies don't usually build up any no claims discount, so if, after a few years, you want or need a modern car, you'll have to rely on firms offering so-called introductory discounts - and not all of them do. Mind you don't get stuck with a base-model Ka or whatever because it's all you can afford to insure, while your mates (with 50% ncd) are driving something more fun.

If you're insuring any car on a provisional licence, ask what will happen when you pass your test. If you were an insurance company, how would you assess the relative risk of a a young person with their dad at their side as against one who's just passed his test and with a car-full of college mates?

Watch out for mileage limitations.

Don't risk "fronting" i.e. getting someone else to insure you on their car, if you're really the main driver, and don't try to get round the "second car" requirement by buying a scrapper for the day you take out your policy. You will not out-smart insurance companies once they're faced with paying out a serious claim.

Kevin
(who has just paid £66 for a year's comp on the tourer)(with RH)
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

£66 is VERY good!
ImageImage