Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jeff-d
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

will it fit

Post by jeff-d »

hi could any one tell me if a wolseley 1500 su hs2 1.and a quarter carb with breather will fit a minor 1098 engine it has a spring loaded needle cheers
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: will it fit

Post by bmcecosse »

IF the float bowl is vertical when fitted to the manifold. If it's not - the angle can be adjusted.
ImageImage
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

being in the fortunate position of having a wolseley 1500 in the garage, i can confirm that the carb does appear to be at the same angle as a minor one. you should still check the float chamber angle when you fit the carb though. the angle is determined by a small block between the float chamber and the carb. the block has a notch in at a certain angle which determines the angle of the float chamber. you can buy different blocks for different angles, or do what i did, and take a hacksaw to the notch to move it to where i wanted it!
daveyl
Minor Fan

Post by daveyl »

May I ask on this subject of 'angled' carbs, If you were to fit the later SU 'Hif 38/44' in a horizontal fashion, rather than angled up, would it still work?
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

As long as the float chamber is horizontal it does not matter what angle the carb is at.
[sig]3580[/sig]
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

mike.perry wrote:As long as the float chamber is horizontal it does not matter what angle the carb is at.
daveyl wrote:If you were to fit the later SU 'Hif 38/44' (snip)
The HIF has a built in float chamber, so you can't adjust the angle. I'm not sure as to the correct answer, i'd be interested to know though!
Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

The HIF44 on Albert is fitted to an aftermarket, Peco manifold and sits at a noticable angle but runs just fine.
Older and more confused than I could ever imagine possible.
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

good to know! i've got a minispares manifold to go on my project that puts the carb almost horizontal, glad to hear it should work with a HIF44!