Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Donalds
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by Donalds »

Hi I am Donald I am 21 and buying my first morris minor this saturday it is a 1961 split screen 2dr in clipper blue, I am thinking of upgrading the 948cc engine for something a little bigger such as a 1.3 or simalar and were looking for some advice on which type of engine would require the least modification, other than this my only plan is to have it resprayed the original colour and lower the car I am also in need of some advice on the easiest and most cost affective way of lowering this model . all advice appreciated
santadawes
Minor Addict

Re: New member

Post by santadawes »

Hi and Welcome to the Forum. I am sure that someone will be along here to give you the advise you need. Where are you from? I am in South Wales.
Santa.

Donalds
Minor Friendly

Post by Donalds »

santadawes wrote:Hi and Welcome to the Forum. I am sure that someone will be along here to give you the advise you need. Where are you from? I am in South Wales.
Santa.
Hi thanks nice to meet you I am from helensburgh about 40 minutes from glasgow
santadawes
Minor Addict

Post by santadawes »

Nice to meet you we were up your part of the world June 2009 when we went to Gretna for renewing our wedding vows and then onto Loch Lomond for the day. Anyway enough with the chit chat..... As you said your 21 we have a Young Owners Reg. just starting up. Matt Coles will be in touch soon.

Donalds
Minor Friendly

Post by Donalds »

santadawes wrote:Nice to meet you we were up your part of the world June 2009 when we went to Gretna for renewing our wedding vows and then onto Loch Lomond for the day. Anyway enough with the chit chat..... As you said your 21 we have a Young Owners Reg. just starting up. Matt Coles will be in touch soon.
yeh im about 5 minutes from loch lomond,the picture of your car in the signature looks nice is it an original or replica police car
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

Hi Donald, welcome to the messageboard :D Clipper blue is quite a rare colour - not too many of them around. Are you sure your Minor is a 1961 car though as from October '56 Minors had a single piece curved windscreen. As already said, there are lots of people on here with modified cars so someone will be able to advise you about the 'easiest' engine alternatives. Bear in mind though that increasing the engine size and adding other modifications might make a difference to your insurance!

Eric - 1971 Traveller
GAS
Minor Fan

Post by GAS »

Nice to see another Jock :-)
ImageImage
Donalds
Minor Friendly

Post by Donalds »

GAS wrote:Nice to see another Jock :-)
likewise are there any plans for any events in scotland
Donalds
Minor Friendly

Post by Donalds »

LouiseM wrote:Hi Donald, welcome to the messageboard :D Clipper blue is quite a rare colour - not too many of them around. Are you sure your Minor is a 1961 car though as from October '56 Minors had a single piece curved windscreen. As already said, there are lots of people on here with modified cars so someone will be able to advise you about the 'easiest' engine alternatives. Bear in mind though that increasing the engine size and adding other modifications might make a difference to your insurance!
Hi :) I am quite sure the owner has told me it was one of the last split screens made it has been kept local since new as far as I am aware
GAS
Minor Fan

Post by GAS »

ImageImage
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

It certainly won't be a split screen at 1961. Also fitting a 1275 is likely to increase the fuel consumption (if only because you can drive it faster!) - an all important consideration these days...... Worry about the brakes before increasing the power. And don't get too excited about 'lowering' your car - you need suspension travel - and I've seen the roads around Helensburgh........eg Hell's Glen...... Look out for the RSAC run in August which starts/finishes in Rhu (Royal Northern & Clyde Yacht Club) - lots of nice old cars (and some Minors..)! And a chance to drive up the Rest & Be Thankful hill climb!
ImageImage
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

welcome.. the car might have been built and exported in the early 50's, being reimported in 1961 and hence registered for the first time in that year.. but be careful check the chassis plate is correct for the car..
Donalds
Minor Friendly

Post by Donalds »

bmcecosse wrote:It certainly won't be a split screen at 1961. Also fitting a 1275 is likely to increase the fuel consumption (if only because you can drive it faster!) - an all important consideration these days...... Worry about the brakes before increasing the power. And don't get too excited about 'lowering' your car - you need suspension travel - and I've seen the roads around Helensburgh........eg Hell's Glen...... Look out for the RSAC run in August which starts/finishes in Rhu (Royal Northern & Clyde Yacht Club) - lots of nice old cars (and some Minors..)! And a chance to drive up the Rest & Be Thankful hill climb!
Ok will keep an eye out for that, yes roads are not the best sadly but gladly the car will only be used on w,ends when the weather is reasonable
Donalds
Minor Friendly

Post by Donalds »

charlie_morris_minor wrote:welcome.. the car might have been built and exported in the early 50's, being reimported in 1961 and hence registered for the first time in that year.. but be careful check the chassis plate is correct for the car..
Hi as far as I am aware the car has always been kept local as it was purchased by a sea captain from helensburgh brand new , I will certainly be checking the chassis number :) thanks for the advice . do you think it would be a possibility that the one piece window was replaced with a split screen ?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

NO!
ImageImage
RogerRust
Minor Legend

Post by RogerRust »

PLease remember to check the paperwork very carefully.
The chassis number should be found stamped into the metal just below the voltage regulator. You may need to clean it up a bit and shine a torch at an angle to see it.
The engine number is less important as the engine may have been changed before without letting the DVLA know.

Early 61 cars should have clap hand windscreen wipers that meet in the middle.

good luck

This message board is like a family - you can't choose the other members!! But remember engine oil is thicker than water.
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

Do you know if clipper blue is the original colour or has it been resprayed at some point? Clipper blue was only used on Minors manufactured between January '59 and October '61.

Post up a photo when you get it :D Instructions are here: http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=31197

Eric - 1971 Traveller
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

If the car is a splitscreen it may be a pale blue colour - not called Clipper Blue (colour of my convertible) but may be Smoke Blue (red interior) which ended in 1955. No splitcreen cars were manufactured after Sept. 1956. Maybe a typo on the V5c.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
MColes
Minor Legend

Post by MColes »

santadawes wrote:As you said your 21 we have a Young Owners Reg. just starting up. Matt Coles will be in touch soon.
Another young member :) My database wont be able to cope at this rate :lol:

Hi Donald and welcome. Like Ray (santaDawes) said there is now a young members register (this was only set up at the end of last year). Take a look here for more details... http://mmoc.org.uk/viewforum.php?f=70

If you could also take a look here http://mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=35620 and PM me your details so I can add you to the database that would be great :D
Matt Coles
Young Members Registrar

Find out more about the Young Members Register HERE
Donalds
Minor Friendly

Post by Donalds »

MColes wrote:
santadawes wrote:As you said your 21 we have a Young Owners Reg. just starting up. Matt Coles will be in touch soon.
Another young member :) My database wont be able to cope at this rate :lol:

Hi Donald and welcome. Like Ray (santaDawes) said there is now a young members register (this was only set up at the end of last year). Take a look here for more details... http://mmoc.org.uk/viewforum.php?f=70

If you could also take a look here http://mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=35620 and PM me your details so I can add you to the database that would be great :D

Hi thankyou will get those details sent to you asap , bought the car today paint is clipper blue with the blue interior but the paint is worn quite badly ( Cracked in areas ) looks ok at a distance so it will be resprayed next month, drove it home about 40 miles not a problem with it at all happily sits at 50-60mph. Also to clear up earlier concerns it is not a split screen it is one piece but was one of the last ones to come with the split screen wipers.I will also upload pictures tommorow :D