Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar
MMOC Member: No

Speeding

Post by mike.perry »

What is the fastest speeding ticket in a Morris Minor? Is anyone prepared to own up?
[sig]3580[/sig]
Fingolfin
Minor Legend

Re: Speeding

Post by Fingolfin »

Haven't driven mine but 62 miles so far, and no cops anywhere around for the whole journey. :lol: Bonus points if you're driving a car with an original engine -- and the booby prize to anyone with a sidevalve on a highway! :lol: :lol:
The way to a man's heart may be making food, but the way to my heart is buying me car parts!
Come read about my Minor at An American Moggie.

fussyoldfart
Minor Fan

Post by fussyoldfart »

Back in the day (That's like once upon a time :) ) I always drove my Minors as hard as they would go but no traffic cop would believe it was going fast, not that little thing. I got tickets in other cars but never was stopped in a Minor.
Fussyoldfart in Welland Ontario.

chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

never got a ticket, but when i first got my minor the only mods it had were HS4 carb and 1.5 inch exhaust. i got it up to IGN on the speedo downhill on the M5.

pretty sure that's not going to be accurate though! i've never pushed it that far since, i've developed a lot more mechanical sympathy than i used to have!
Neil MG
Minor Legend

Post by Neil MG »

Still got the original 803cc engine in mine, so not much chance of setting any records (except length of queue behind me perhaps)
1956 Morris Minor Series II
1959 MGA 1600 Roadster
1966 Jaguar Mk2 3.8 MOD
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

Once I nearly twice exceeded the limit in the four door I am currently restoring, and was caught by a Radar speed gun. :oops:

But then that was on the spine road of my former employers site, the speed limit was 10MPH and I was doing 19MPH on a straight and empty road on site and it was only the companies security guards who had got hold of a speed gun.

They waved me over and were laughing as they told me I'd exceeded the speed limit 2X, and asked me not to do it again. (Presumably laughing at the thought of of Morris Minor driving being done for speeding!). :D
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
pao7psb
Minor Fan

Post by pao7psb »

I think I can claim the slowest anybody has been done in a Morris Minor :oops: - I was done for 35 in a 30 Zone the other week! :evil:

Worse thing is that the Speed Awareness Course you can take instead of points is now £95...crime doesn't pay, folks.

The range for being eligible to take the course over a penalty is 35 to 42 mph in a 30 Zone, so I have deduced from this that 34mph and I'd have gotten away with it....hence my claim to be the slowest unless anybody knows any different!
[sig]9354[/sig]
Sometimes it is better to obtain forgiveness rather than permission...
Snowdrop - 1967 4 Door Saloon
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Argue about the accuracy of the camera/gun that trapped you. When was it last calibrated - do they have the cal certificate? These things are not all that accurate - certainly not to within 1 mph - at 35 mph you've been hard done by. I think if you challenge it they won't prosecute - it will be quietly dropped.
ImageImage
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

i have heard a few cases like that, and they have been dropped

yes def argue it
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

that seems a bit harsh i got stopped once because the copper just wanted to look round the car and congratulated me on the condition .
[sig]5641[/sig]
davidpidge
Minor Fan

Post by davidpidge »

The local coppers were doing one of their big crackdowns locally, pulling over every other car for any thing to keep everyone in check! I got pulled in for.....not wearing a seat belt. This was in my last morris which I had out to test the new clutch/linkage so the gearbox tunnel was out of the car, so were all the seats (except the drivers!) and poor Morris didnt look very road legal at the best of times. The poor young copper didnt know where to start! I explained that I didnt need seat belts. They thought the car was hilarious and let me go.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1956 Traveller - work in progress

dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

if they wernt fitted to the car when it was made you dont need them ,i have had my mog round to the ignition light sounded like the worl was comming to a end .
[sig]5641[/sig]
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

Worse thing is that the Speed Awareness Course you can take instead of points is now £95...crime doesn't pay, folks.
Don't get caught up in the Midlands then! you'll be paying over £200 for a course. Part of the fee is meant to be a fine, so yes, crime doesn't pay!
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
d_harris
Minor Legend

Re:

Post by d_harris »

pao7psb wrote:I think I can claim the slowest anybody has been done in a Morris Minor :oops: - I was done for 35 in a 30 Zone the other week! :evil:

The range for being eligible to take the course over a penalty is 35 to 42 mph in a 30 Zone, so I have deduced from this that 34mph and I'd have gotten away with it....hence my claim to be the slowest unless anybody knows any different!
£85 here :P 38 in what I thought was a 40 :roll:

Never been pinched in a Minor, but aggy will get up to 76 according to GPS. Planning on getting a bigger carb, well worked 295 and a decent exhaust on - lets see if I can get above 80 (on a test track of course....)

dellerie
Minor Fan

Post by dellerie »

don't really see the point in going over the speed limit. it's set for a reason. never had any points in 22 years. i just allow more time to reach where i'm going.
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

Over 90 in 1973 - 3 points and £30 fine.
Was in a 30 limit though (young and foolish :) )

Pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
Neil MG
Minor Legend

Post by Neil MG »

Over 90 in a 30 in a Morris Minor? :o
1956 Morris Minor Series II
1959 MGA 1600 Roadster
1966 Jaguar Mk2 3.8 MOD
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

dellerie wrote:don't really see the point in going over the speed limit. it's set for a reason. never had any points in 22 years. i just allow more time to reach where i'm going.
very admirable, i tend to agree except for roads by me where it's a 30 as it's near a school and lots of houses where kids could run out infront of you. but when it's 11pm they're all tucked up safely in bed, and if i force myself to do 30 up the hill i'm in 3rd (4th wont hack it) and it's loud in 3rd. don't want to wake the nippers up so i very considerately do 40 instead :lol:
plastic_orange wrote:Over 90 in 1973 - 3 points and £30 fine.
£30 was a lot in those days :lol:
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

Neil MG wrote:Over 90 in a 30 in a Morris Minor? :o
A lowlight too :D

Pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
Fingolfin
Minor Legend

Post by Fingolfin »

Holy cow! Coming down a very tall hill, with a trade wind at your tail? :lol: :lol:
The way to a man's heart may be making food, but the way to my heart is buying me car parts!
Come read about my Minor at An American Moggie.