Should i...?

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
tim_399
MMOC Member: No

Should i...?

Post by tim_399 »

i'm 17 at the moment and have been doing up a vw beetle into a baja bug...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn2mfPcI34k

and well i've had a change of mind and might have this as a pure off-roader and get another car as my daily, 2 cars i've always loved are beetles and moggys, and i'm not sure which to go fro as it'd be nice to have two beetles so parts can be exchanged across and i've already done alot of the work and researched every aspect, but minors are so cheap it seems a really top quality one will cost around 2k whereas beetles it's 3.5k which i don't have (struggling at £500 :p) I'm not sure how reliable a minor or a traveler would be either or how easy parts are to get or how expensive they are so any advice on what to look for or anything constructive =D i just don't know whether it's best to stick to what i know or to just go for it =/

Tim.

ps if i get a minor i wouldn't baja it, i promise
gazzcross
Minor Friendly

Re: Should i...?

Post by gazzcross »

Well tim, As ive only recently got a minor i dont know it all but i know enough as to tell you that the minor is probably one of the easiest cars to get parts for whether its original or customised. There are many parts suppliers such as JLH MINORS, ESM, BULL MOTIF, CHARLES WARES etc.

If you do decide to get one try and get another member to check over any car you find as minors are notorious for rust patches that have been patched but sometimes quite badly so a replacement panel is needed which isn't all too bad its just a bit time consuming. General rust areas are - inner wings, sills, chassis legs and rear arches. These are quite easy to replace ( ive been doing these) other areas are boot corners and door bottoms but these are normally minor damage :D

Good things to look for are disc brake conversions with servos, generally these are marina based but some are ford based with a change of pcd which allows for a wider range of wheel choices as the minor 4" pcd is quite rare in other vehicles.

Finally, all i can say is that minors have a big following so if there are any problems there is always someone that can help you out whether it be advice like this or people actually coming to you to give you a hand.

Good luck
Gazz

P.s. Nice bug, The baja minor idea has been done and it looks quite nice, after all it would be your car which is a blank canvas for you to go wild on.
Engineers have 3 special tools that can fix anything - WD40, Big hammer and ductape ;)
check out Bugsy - http://www.flickr.com/photos/61652622@N04/?saved=1
Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

Can I go off topic and ask... who owns the Imp? :D
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

tim_399

Post by tim_399 »

my mate, it's so lovely, not my preferred driving position though, i've ridden motorbikes all my life and i like being ontop of things controlling it whereas in his imp you're laying flat almost!

Thanks for your advice gazz if we went for a minor it'd have to need no welding or work as i've had enough of that with my bug! got any photos/links of the baja moggy?!

Tim.

some more photo's of the imp for you!

(and my baja will be higher very soon.....)
gazzcross
Minor Friendly

Post by gazzcross »

http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f= ... 3&start=75

Follow the link and there is three on that page and some on pages 10 and 11

Thinking about it if you like to have a tall ride height you could make a minor landy hybrid :D
Engineers have 3 special tools that can fix anything - WD40, Big hammer and ductape ;)
check out Bugsy - http://www.flickr.com/photos/61652622@N04/?saved=1
d_harris
Minor Legend

Post by d_harris »

Hi Tim.

The first thing you will notice about the minor is how much easier it is to work on!!! You don't have to be a contortionist to change the spark plugs for example :P

In my experience The Beetle is an inferior vehicle (based on having owned 2, one a bit clapped out and one a show winner) and driving the minor is a far more pleasant experience. The big advantage the beetle has (certainly the later models) is disc brakes! Conversions are easily obtained for the minor though, either ital/marina based or Ford.

For £500 you should be able to find a structrually solid (which is the MOST important bit), but grotty looking car which will likely need some attention. As has been said, see if you can take someone with an experienced eye to go and have a look with you. Mechanical bits are cheap, plentiful and relatively easy to fit/replace and there is reasonable scope for tuning a minor, with 1275 engines, 5 speed gearbox conversions etc etc and if you are a bit more ambitious then its even possible to dump a zetec in!

As for reliability, it seemed to me that I was constantly having to fix little things on the Beetles (but that might have been the ex's driving style) whereas my minors have been relatively trouble free when sorted out. Sure, there are a few niggles but thats half the fun, doesn't stop you motoring and probabally less than a modern sub £1000 car.

The other thing you have to consider is running costs! All Minors (bar one) have free Tax and a lot of beetles dont, I seem to recall (maybe incorrectly) the beetles got high 20s MPG and minors return mid to high 30s (according to the GPS odometer, on a long, careful run I get 38mpg from Aggy!)

Of course, we are all biased on here, but why not try a Minor, enjoy a decent heater, and if it doesn't actually push your buttons then theres nothing stopping you from selling it on (afterall, they don't depreciate!) and getting another beetle.

tim_399

Post by tim_399 »

those baja mogs are just beautiful!

I'll keep an eye out maybe get down to a meet and see what it feels like in the drivers seat =D