Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
PAULJ
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

OWEN BURTON

Post by PAULJ »

I have just received my copy of the modification manual by Owen Burton. Loads of usefull info for anyone thinking of upgrading there moggy. My question is, The book quotes a lot of alternative parts with the part no OWN-.
Are Owen Burton parts still available and who has them.
Thanks
flowersGTR
Minor Friendly

Re: OWEN BURTON

Post by flowersGTR »

i think you can buy most of the owen burton stuff from ESM

searching with the OWN## should work

http://morrisminorspares.co.uk/shop/pro ... f3e6ba9d98

ta da :)

where did you get a copy of the manual???
58HP at the wheels and 75 HP at the flywheel
PAULJ
Minor Fan

Post by PAULJ »

Thanks, I tried that. There are some, but not many. In the book the list goes on and on. All the bits needed for 1300 conversion. I want to put an Itel engine and gearbox in. It says I need back plate, engine mounts, prop shaft etc. All bits I can make but dont want to.
Paul
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

all minor suppliers should/do stock the parts you'll need, not necessarily with OWN numbers though.
PAULJ
Minor Fan

Post by PAULJ »

Its the engine mounts im mostly after. Ill ring a couple tomorow but what happend to Owen Burton and the bits he offers in the book. Someone must know ??
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

Why do you want to put a marina gearbox in? The minor one is much nicer!

You use the bits of a 1098 engine, but you need to drill 2 holes in the flywheel at the 1098 crank has 4 bolts the 1275 has 6...
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
PAULJ
Minor Fan

Post by PAULJ »

Im putting an ITAL box in because I have one and the moggy box I have needs to retire.
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

I can only assume you have driven a poorly version of the ital gearbox it is very nice with the ratios nicely suited to the engine and by adding the O/D unit from a dolly you have a great motorway cruiser and the car still accelerates nicely
PAULJ
Minor Fan

Post by PAULJ »

charlie_morris_minor wrote:I can only assume you have driven a poorly version of the ital gearbox it is very nice with the ratios nicely suited to the engine and by adding the O/D unit from a dolly you have a great motorway cruiser and the car still accelerates nicely
Thats nice to know, Thanks. Do you have one in yours ? I have bought a low (ish) milage ital engine and box. Seems a no brainer not to try and use it dont you think. Just need the bits to help with the fitting
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

not any more :(

when i set about modifying my traveller I did think about doing the same mods again as i was so happy with it.. but i would always be comparing it to my old saloon so I have gone down the 2 ltr fiat twin cam route instead :) .
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

Owen Burton mods weren't the best when current - look elsewhere for decent stuff - JLH for example.

Pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

If you want to fit the marina/ital gearbox (same thing) you either need to cut the bellhousing or the chassis, you need a custom propshaft, a hydraulic clutch and to move the gearbox cross memeber and use custom mounts (I used 2 mini exhaust cotton reels, but they never lasted very long!). If you are going to that much effort you may as well fit a type 9!

When I tried to GIVE away my marina gearbox, flywheel etc no one wanted it so it ended up weighed in. Personally I wouldn't fit a marina/ital box to a minor
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The Ital box may be a good box, but it's a huge job to squeeze it into the Minor chassis - and as Matt says you need to convert to hydraulic clutch etc - obviously it CAN be done, but is it worth it/do you have the facilities to do the work? And again as above - just use the parts from a 1098 engine to fit the 1275 engine into your Minor - with a 1098 box. You DO NOT need a new back plate - if you use the correct oil pump. The engine mounts etc are straight from the 1098 engine - and you need to drill 4 (not 2) holes in the 1098 engine flywheel to be able to use the 6 fixing holes in the 1275 crank flange......
ImageImage
Alec
Minor Legend

Post by Alec »

Hello Paul,

I second BMCE's advice, especially as I did fit one into my Wife's Traveller, it was a huge job and I wouldn't do another one. Having a Triumph version of that gearbox with overdrive is the only saving grace.

Alec
PAULJ
Minor Fan

Post by PAULJ »

As I have said, I have the box and engine which IS going in. I do have facilities to do the job. I understand the work involved. I also understand you cant mount a gearbox on mini exhaust rubbers. The original question was about Owen burton parts. Seems ESM bought Owen Burton and continued some of his mods but not all. I would like to hear from anyone who has a marina / Ital box in there car that could measure the prop shaft. I know I can shorten an Ital one but Im thinking a Triumph one might fit. There is a long one and a short one available.
If anyone can let me know there prop length please
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

for the prop shaft it is probably best to wait until you have the engine and box in your car so you can measure the exact length, in case the "other" person has mounted their engine and box in a slightly different position. I do not recall the prop shaft being a particularly long wait to be made up once i had given them the measurements.