Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
lindores
MMOC Member: No

Genuine low mileage cars

Post by lindores »

Hi

This is my first post so apologies if anything is done incorrectly!

We have recently aquired a Morris Minor Traveller which was first registered in 1964 and it has done under 13000 miles from new. Are there many out there with such a low mileage?

Kind regards

Drew
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Re: Genuine low mileage cars

Post by ASL642 »

Welcome. There's a Rose TaupeTraveller on Ebay at the moment which claims 12,800 from new. So there are a few around. :D

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
Uncle Cib
Minor Friendly

Post by Uncle Cib »

My 1956 Series II has 29,700 genuine mileage.
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

Only if there is paperwork, like old MOTs to back it up.
Otherwise there is no telling how many times it has been round the clock.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Welcome to the Forum! Let's see some pictures of your car - and as suggested above - do you have any reliable evidence for the mileage claim ?
ImageImage
lindores

Post by lindores »

Hi
Thanks for the responses, we have mot's back to 2001 (first owner hade it from 64-2001 then 2nd from 2001 till now) very confident of mileage as we know previous owner well and she knew original owner well, it's a VERY small community in the far North of Scotland!

I should have said previously that it IS the same car that's currently on EBAY, she's a lovely car but now we've moved from the highlands we have no room in our garage for her and we feel she deserves better!

Kind regards

Drew
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

So - you 'recently acquired' it in 2001 ??? :-?

Here's the link http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MORRIS-MINOR- ... 2566721fec
ImageImage
irmscher
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by irmscher »

I dont think it matters what mileage has been done as long as it has been maintaned well :o . i personaly am always wary when a high priced car has one bid and reserve is not met usualy to generate interest i have found and they never sell ! but thats only my opinion :oops:
lindores

Post by lindores »

Hi "bmcecosse" I can see from the entry on ebay it says previous owners.1 but if you read the actual description it says two previous owners, not sure how that happened. And "Irmscher" thanks for the input, we are genuine "Newbies" and hope that the price is realistic etc. the one bid so far appears to be from Italy so maybe she'll be off to sunnier climes!

Kind regards

Drew
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

My Traveller had "only" 54,000 genuine miles on the clock when I bought the car in 1996. Now approaching 100,000, so not "low" milage anymore, but was backed up with old MOT's etc.
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

well mines done over 100000 miles from new and still going strong, minimal welding and original interior , of course well maintained, these go on for ever hopefully
low milege does not mean anything really i have seen a pick up with only 15000 miles on it and need so much work done to it
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

[quote="bmcecosse"]So - you 'recently acquired' it in 2001 ??? :-?
No, he says that the 2nd owner has had it from 1971 and he has recently purchased it.
[sig]3580[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Aye - but the suggestion is that it's a 2 owner car - I'm sure just down to the way it's written - and not in any way intended to deceive. I am however a bit surprised that such a low mileage car 'always garaged' needed new timber - and I see it sports chrome sill trim below the doors - which always makes me wonder when I see it. And appears to have a pull start and a silver speedo - but a fresh air heater, and non clap-hands wipers? And no 'B' suffix reg number. However I guess in 1964 there would be a good number of in-between cars produced as the new parts came through. I guess it could have been used for 1 mile per day to fetch the milk - and then put back in the garage - soaking wet from the perpetual freezing gales in the N of Scotland!
As for the bid from Italy - they haven't asked if you will take a cheque for 12 Grand - and send them the change - have they ??? :o
ImageImage
lindores

Post by lindores »

Many thanks for the pointers, not too sure about all the bits and bobs you mentioned re. the car and I shall certainly watch out for italians offering cheques for several thousand lire!!

Kind regards

Drew
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

Definitely avoid cheques for several thousand lire, unless they stop using the Euro!

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
lindores

Post by lindores »

Good point! Lire/Euros the way it's all heading I think we ahould stick to the good old £ !
d_harris
Minor Legend

Post by d_harris »

My gut is that 4.5k is a little on the steep side but not massively out of the ballpark with the euro being relatively strong to the pound at the moment the italian chap may well think he's got a bargain on his hands.

please correct me if I'm wrong lindores, (going on from BMCE's point) but I read it that that the welding done and the wood replacement was as a result of the bump?

lindores

Post by lindores »

I think she must have had a wee shunt at some point in her time hence the welding, I believe it was during the first owners time. We bought her from a friend in good faith and am sure that everything she has told us matches up.
As mentioned at the very outset, "Tilly" is a lovely car with a very "traceable" ownership and has genuinely done the mileage stated, we hope to sell her to an enthusiast who can enjoy her more than we have the time to.

Kind regards

Drew
morris van
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by morris van »

I bought a 1971 van in March and only done 48000 miles and has only done 3000 in the last 5 years.The van had lived in the Isle of Wight until 2006 when the previous owner bought it.I have done 1100 miles since i've owned it.