Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Acetylene

Post by IaininTenbury »

kennatt wrote:Wasn't talking about the other uses of oxy/acet. was refering to welding,you can't tell me that if you were welding bodywork you would use gas if you had a mig or tig,I used to have both and found that the gas was only ever used to free up rusted nuts,
Would have to disagree with that - I find gas invaluable in fabrication of new panels, especially double curvature stuff. Mig is too hard and brittle for any further shaping and tig is too slow and fiddly (you can get along at a good speed with a no.5 tip on 18 and 20g steel and 16g ally!) Just my personal opinion after years working in a factory making wings for Morgans - its quick convenient and immediately swappable to welding aluminium with only a different tube of rods, and a lot cheaper than an AC/DC tig set.
However, it dosen't get used too much in rebuilding Minors, though on curved areas (with little chance of distortion) you can do lovely butt joints with little need for linishing afterwards.
And yes, there's not many nuts and bolts that stand up to a good blast with an oxy torch..
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
Alec
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by Alec »

Hello Iain,

all I can say is you must have a quick hand to use a No. 5 on 20 or even 18 gauge steel, 1 or 2 is more what I use?

Alec
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

Its called production and piece work! Some guys there were using no.7s that had been cleaned out so many times they were goodness knows how big. Size of the flame and speed they worked was well impressive... Especially on alluminium. I felt conspicuous askign for a no.3 when I started there, but soon moved upwards.
It is the beauty of gas welding though its so controlable, even with a big tip you go in lighter and faster adding rod whenever it needs it - hopefully to be avoided if you were intending on wheeling and shaping the panel further.
Fun days! I still look at Morgans made between '97 and '03 and try and spot my bits!
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Indeed - oxy/acet is FAR easier/better to work with on patch repairs on classics. I don't know how I would mange without mine. MIG is all very well - and I use it when I can (to save my expensive acet gas) - but I usually end up resorting to the gas set to finish off the job.
ImageImage
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

yes all well and good but would you be happy if the guy in the garage adjoining your house had potential bombs in there,not talking about pros in commercial premises,with good training and equipment,but inexpirienced owners who just happen to aquire,or borrow gas bottles to do a bit of welding . I bet there not many owners who could fabricate their own complex panels and no need to for moggies, just about every panel is available from traders. everyone to their own,I'm happy to stay with the mig
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

I'd be surprised to find a garage that didn't have some "potential bombs" in, cans or plastic containers of petrol or thinners must present a much higher actual risk.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

Most garage (commercial operations) fires I attended were the result of welding - whether the car itself, or igniting flamable liquids (open containers). I have also been to quite a few as a result of poorly maintained equipment :o
Home users do end up using equipment that should really be replaced.

Pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

kennatt wrote:yes all well and good but would you be happy if the guy in the garage adjoining your house had potential bombs in there,not talking about pros in commercial premises,with good training and equipment,but inexpirienced owners who just happen to aquire,or borrow gas bottles to do a bit of welding . I bet there not many owners who could fabricate their own complex panels and no need to for moggies, just about every panel is available from traders. everyone to their own,I'm happy to stay with the mig
Agreed, if all I did was rebuild Minors, and could only have one type of welder it would be Mig, no question. As you say its mostly a fitting of new bought panels. As it happens with, Mig, gas and spot welding available I use all three - whatever is most convenient or suitable for the join in question.
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.