Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
stag36587
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Dangerous Driving School

Post by stag36587 »

Great to see moggies on this programme on ch 5 tonight - Norfolk branch I think?
]
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Re: Dangerous Driving School

Post by chrisryder »

yes i saw that too. didn't look particularly dangerous to me! i do wonder if he's being tailgated due to potential speedo inaccuracy. especially seeing how vague his speedo was!
stag36587
Minor Legend

Post by stag36587 »

Yes indeed it was waving loosely between 30-50mph, would make speed cameras a bit of a lottery in built up areas :)
]
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

i saw that and thaught he was driving well and was very aware of what was going on around him ,just took the girlfriends 2 door to bristol today doing 70 in the middle lane and a chap was flashing me ,he over took and was pointing to the inside lane giving me various gestures so i gave them back . i dont understand why they are hell bent on overtaking at all cost,i was doing the speed limit .
[sig]5641[/sig]
minor65
Minor Addict

Post by minor65 »

Glad to see the driving expert thought his driving was A1, if everyone would drive like that. Great driver, Great character, Great car !!

stephh
Minor Friendly

Post by stephh »

Had a few of the Young members over mine last night and we watched this with great interest.

Why was his car the only one that needed 'a check to see if it was roadworthy'. To be honest, that angry lad from Leeds didn't seem too concerned about any sort of safety and I doubt he cared about his car as much as that chap cared about 'Elizabeth'.

Just because you own a 'new' car, doesn't mean its definitely going to be more roadworthy *sigh*
Owner of Martha and Nancy - both ex-gov disabled blue MMs and Bee, a 1960 4 door in smoke grey.
MMOCYM forever. Join us. https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/groups/MMOCYM/

PS. I blog sometimes www.idriveaclassic.com
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

i found it bizarre that the driving expert/instructor had to check the vehicle for roadworthiness before beginning.

i doubt he does that with any 'modern' car he goes out in. and is a driving instructor/expert more qualified to judge than an MoT tester? :roll:
Sidney'61
Minor Legend

Post by Sidney'61 »

dalebrignall wrote:i saw that and thaught he was driving well and was very aware of what was going on around him ,just took the girlfriends 2 door to bristol today doing 70 in the middle lane and a chap was flashing me ,he over took and was pointing to the inside lane giving me various gestures so i gave them back . i dont understand why they are hell bent on overtaking at all cost,i was doing the speed limit .
The man on the programme was worried about people going too fast around him on single laned roads, on a multiple lane road like a motorway it's completely different as there is no need to ever hold somebody up, just because you dont wish to go faster doesnt mean you should purposely be in the way! The idea of the motorway is that whatever speed the road users are doing the slowest goes in the inside lane so that others can go past easily, sorry Dale but in this situation I'd be the angry driver flashing my lights at the middle lane hogger for not using the inside lane as it's intended.

Anyway, I too thought it was a bit rude that the instructor should make such a point of 'checking that the car is roadworthy' just because its older when you can guarantee it is in much better condition than the other lad's punto... :roll:
Andy W____________1961 2-door 948cc (Sidney)_____________1963 2-door 1275cc (Emily)_______

dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

andy i was overtaking lorries not hogging the middle lane ,the chap behind was doing 80 plus and slammed on his brakes,he was in the wrong not me .he had another lane he could use to pass me i was doing 70 the limit .i just wonder what happens when the limit goes up to 80 .
[sig]5641[/sig]
stag36587
Minor Legend

Post by stag36587 »

When speed limit goes to 80 most will go at 90 or more. Sadly, many exceed 80 already - usually tailgating at the same time. Do these idiots not understand anything about reaction times and stopping distances? Probably some pseudo-macho way of compensating for various inadequacies if you see what I mean :-?
]