Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Dryad
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Re: Go with noakes

Post by Dryad »

Well remembered, Spartan, and welcome to the forum! Amazingly (or not), 284 UPH is still on the road and taxed until April next year!
Last edited by Dryad on Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

Welcome to the forum, feel free to post pictures of your car, we do like pictures :)

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
wilfred

Post by wilfred »

Hooray! Well done Spartan :)
minortech
Minor Friendly

Post by minortech »

Reading on the BBC News website today that John Noakes is missing, made me think of "Go with Noakes" and the Morris convertible. My childhood memories are of John doing the car up and then touring round the countryside. I do have a vivid recollection of Geoff Capes as a passenger in the Morris, his head sticking above the top of the windscreen surround!
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

poor man has alsymers and it the hottest day in spain hope they find him soon
[sig]5641[/sig]
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

Thankfully he has now been found and is now receiving care.

dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

oh good fantastic news :D
[sig]5641[/sig]
‘Nellie’

Post by ‘Nellie’ »

Hi all,

I have been reading with interest this chain of posts as I am now the actual owner of ‘Nellie’ the ‘Go With Noakes’ 1961 Morris Minor 1000 tourer. Like a few that have commented on watching the series as a child, I also got hooked on the cars from watching this series. My Dad bought me a Morris Minor whilst I was still at school to work on it but sadly was beyond repair.

The car has survived after a significant restoration around 2004/5 and after I purchased the car a year ago has undergone a sizeable recommissioning to get her safely back on the road. Still a significant amount to do to her but mainly cosmetic.

I have been researching her history and would love to know more about previous ownership if anyone can help? Her registration is 284 UPH as mentioned in the posts and yes she did make a brief appearance in Rentaghost in the 80’s driven by ‘Mrs Meaker’ and Dobbin as a passenger! The episode is on You Tube called ‘Super Dobbin’ for reference, if only she went that fast!!

There is a very small video clip of some of the first episode of ‘Go With Noakes’ also on You Tube but nothing else so far. Again if anyone can help with any old video tapes of the series I would love to hear from you. Tried the BBC archive but no joy.

For information there are still traces of red paint on the bonnet but Nellie is now presented in Old English White with a red hood and interior after a previous colour change mid-1980 I believe. She has made her first appearance at the National Rally at Kelmarsh in 2021 and also the East Midlands rally last weekend at Newstead Abbey. I am sure she will be going to many more over coming months.

Regards. Damian
King Kenny
Minor Fan

Post by King Kenny »

A young lady who came to the West Wilts and Somerset branch meetings in the 1980's owned the Noakes convertible .
1969 Traveller in Almond green. Owned since 1979.
‘Nellie’

Post by ‘Nellie’ »

Can anyone from Somerset and West Wilts provide any further information? Would love to know who the contact is and any information on the car would be great? Thank you
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

For information there are still traces of red paint on the bonnet but Nellie is now presented in Old English White with a red hood and interior after a previous colour change mid-1980 I believe. She has made her first appearance at the National Rally at Kelmarsh in 2021 and also the East Midlands rally last weekend at Newstead Abbey. I am sure she will be going to many more over coming months.

Regards. Damian
Good to hear it survives, I always found John Noakes very watchable and liked what I saw of him. It was a sad way for him to go, which nobody deserves.
So her survival preserves a little piece of his story too.
I will look out for Nellie at the 2022 National.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)