For $27,000 I'd like my carbs polished, thank you.

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
robedney
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

For $27,000 I'd like my carbs polished, thank you.

Post by robedney »

Check it out -- a bargain at a quarter of the price!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Other-Ma ... 2950wt_958
1967 2 door coupe, "Mildred"
Transportation with economy, whimsy and heart.
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Re: For $27,000 I'd like my carbs polished, thank you.

Post by MarkyB »

The headlining could do with some attention too!
The overall pictures seem to have had some Photoshop filters applied which doesn't inspire confidence either.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
Roni
Minor Fan

Post by Roni »

I guess a car is worth what someone will pay for it. Interesting to see if it sells.
It seems to me to be sitting high at the front and the wipers are a bit interesting.

alexandermclaren
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by alexandermclaren »

I hope they dont drive it far from the showroom
because the battery retaining bracket is missing along with some engine parts like the breather pipe
the top radiator hose is far to big for the outlet you can see into it and that the clip is having a hard time making a water tight connection
and am i right that the engine top bracket has been cut in half thus allowing the engine to vibrate shaking every thing loose as it goes along the road
the rubber petrol pipe is under strain as it exists the fuel pump and the fuel filter aint in the best place either as the connections are directly over the exposed air intake filters
and what is that stuff in the engine compartment?
it looks like good old underseal to hide what they dont want you to see
some nice touches though like the seats and the velour headlining
mmmmmmmmmmmm photoshop me thinks as well
yup they been up till midnight on the computer

robedney
Minor Fan

Post by robedney »

Yup, looks like the engine stabilizer bar is gone. Now that I notice, no sign of a heater anywhere either. No hoses under the hood and nothing under the dash (including the parcel shelf).
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

Looks like they just gave up when they got to the engine bay. Got a few rattle cans and probably thought 'sod it, nobody opens the bonnets on these things'...

Does look awful high too... must be a pig to drive!
robedney
Minor Fan

Post by robedney »

Wow, this thing gets better the longer you look at it. The clutch peddle in on the floor -- really. No need to worry about the battery falling out if you can't drive it. Can you tell things are slow in the office today?
alexandermclaren
Minor Addict

robedney wrote:Wow, this thing gets better the longer you look at it. The clutch peddle in on the floor -- really. No need to worry about the battery falling out if you can't drive it. Can you tell things are slow in the office today?
ha ha never seen that one
hey this is a new game spot to crimes before you buy
looks like they up to midnight tonight sorting the problems
still if they use photoshop they get it finnished in time for tomorrow

alexandermclaren
Minor Addict

Hey guys we dident spot the glaring error it is :o :o fitted with a van exhaust you can see it exiting in front of the rear wheel
unless this was a state law that made it exit there or more likely they ordered the wrong part and said stick it on i aint sending it back to england

Fingolfin
Minor Legend

Post by Fingolfin »

What the devil is wrong with the steering wheel?!?!?! It's like a big foam circle... :roll: Sorry, that's really bugging me. People who have no idea what a Morris Minor is should not restore Morris Minors. And why has the choke position on the dash been blanked off? Also all the things you guys have said already...clutch pedal on the floor, no battery bar, no engine steady...yeesh...
Paint job looks nice enough but they never get close enough to really show us its quality. What about the underside??? In the product description they never mention the quality of the structure! :evil:
The way to a man's heart may be making food, but the way to my heart is buying me car parts!
Come read about my Minor at An American Moggie.

Fingolfin
Minor Legend

Post by Fingolfin »

Also, according to my Production Data that I yoinked from somewhere on the Internet, car no. 676973 is from 1958, not 1961... :roll:
The way to a man's heart may be making food, but the way to my heart is buying me car parts!
Come read about my Minor at An American Moggie.

customjob
Minor Fan

Post by customjob »

For that price i wouldn't want them polished i'd want them made of 21 carat gold.

charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

Am I the only one getting annoyed the way the picture wiz up and down on their website!

You will never be able to take anything down the tip/ dump in that..
the back seat should have a bar across the top allowing it to engage with the seat base when tipped forward.
The door stays are missing.
The seat back and rear deck area have a gap between them so anything could fall down between them.
it is also missing it side trim panels
alexandermclaren
Minor Addict

charlie_morris_minor wrote:Am I the only one getting annoyed the way the picture wiz up and down on their website!

You will never be able to take anything down the tip/ dump in that..
the back seat should have a bar across the top allowing it to engage with the seat base when tipped forward.
The door stays are missing.
The seat back and rear deck area have a gap between them so anything could fall down between them.
it is also missing it side trim panels
yup the list goes on and on
it has a garden gate stay for the rear doors to remain open you can just see them at the top of the spare wheel storage floor
yea and the whiz up and down buyer beware and run away
FAST

ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Really don't like the colour of the seats - and as for the engine bay...it looks like someone has opened the bonnet and using a matt black spray can just aimed and fired! :o

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
Lukezaid
Minor Friendly

Post by Lukezaid »

maybe they got the bonnet from the same van they got the exhaust I see no moulds down the side
RogerRust
Minor Legend

Post by RogerRust »

Time for a rant from the most mild mannered of people.

Why oh Why don't people every bother to open the bonnet - no one in there right mind will ever buy a car that shows so little interest or care to it's heart.

I'm so cross I'm going to make a cuppa tea.

This message board is like a family - you can't choose the other members!! But remember engine oil is thicker than water.
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

I'm always amused by the prices classics fetch in the U.S, even cheapo, run-of-the-mill cars like the Moggy. They all seem to go for an awful lot of money, and (correct me if I'm wrong, especially U.S. members), old cars there seem to be regarded variously as antiques, showpieces or have novelty value.

It seems crazy to me that a 1950 model Chevrolet, for instance, would have been regarded as junk in 1960 and utterly worthless, yet now is sold for many thousands of dollars. Americans bought millions of cars, changed them after a few years (due to planned obsolescence, and being image conscious due to the yearly style-changes of the 50s and 60s), glady junked them, but now want them back.

Read Vance Packard's book 'The Waste Makers' for a shocking insight into American consumer culture and advertising in the 1950's and 60's.

The quality of American cars built after about 1955 is awful (with a few exceptions). That is because they were too busy trying to sell cars to a saturated market, with fancy, excessive bodies, over-powerful engines which guzzled oil and petrol, and metal which was literally made to rust so the buyers would be back before too long.

European and British cars of the period were much better built and generally lasted longer due to the facts that 1) the British car buyer expected his car to last a long time (so it was soundly engineered); and 2) owning a car, even a basic one, in Europe in the 1950's would have definitely been something - the car would have been well looked after.

In any case, I'd never pay that amount of money for what is essentially an old banger. It hasn't even been 'restored' as the ad claims, and has a lot of faults and non-original items as members have pointed out. But some fool will consider it a nice toy and pay the asking price...
Chock
Minor Friendly

Post by Chock »

I agree that it is done up like a tart's handbag, but sartorial tastes aside, it is worth remembering that being it is located in the US, where even individual State regulations are not identical to the UK as far as equipment on vehicles is concerned, there is at least a chance that some of the items or accessories on it are, whilst not standard for a UK Moggie, items which were like that from when it was new. After all, if you see a Morris Minor with wing or door mirrors in the UK, you should remember that they too were not original factory-fitted equipment, being generally fitted by dealers, or added as after market ''luxuries''.

As far as condition is concerned, if the thing is in, or has spent most of its life in one of the South Western US States, there's a good chance it has no rot at all under the black paint, since the dry climate out that way means terminal rust is far less common than it is here in Blighty. Cars can sit out in the desert for years with only the paint fading and not much other than the rubber items suffering any deterioration.

Al
Badger, my 1960 Two Door Saloon...
fussyoldfart
Minor Fan

Post by fussyoldfart »

All of the "nits" that were picked are fair observations. I'm well familiar with the specs of Mogs sold on this side of the Atlantic and they were not much different from UK specs. This car was not what I would call restored, rather it was done up to appeal to an uninformed driver who wants a "cute little car". The object was to make it shiny and get it out the door. I see the auction has been ended early as the car is "no longer available" so probably somebody made them an offer that was acceptable. We will not likely find out how much it went for.
Fussyoldfart in Welland Ontario.