Other cars?

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use

Is a Minor your only car? What happens when it goes wrong?

1) I have one Minor and no back up - so when my trunnions seize I'm right up the creek without a paddle...
18%
2) I've got at least 2 roadworthy Minors, so I'm O.K.
10%
3) I've got a modern car and my Minor lives in the garage except at weekends
40%
4) I've got one or more different classics which can save my bacon!
18%
5) I beg, steal or borrow someone else's car.
15%

Total votes: 40

Cam
MMOC Member: No

Post by Cam »

If a Minor is properly serviced and maintained it should never let you down.
Unless you buy conversion parts that are not up to the job!! :lol:
57traveller
Minor Addict

Post by 57traveller »

Sorry Cam, should have added "standard" between a and Minor.
However, the quality of some standard part isn't always 100% e.g. some rotor arms as some have experienced.
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

Well I've covered all those 5 options in the last 10 years and a few others that weren't listed too.
The moggy doesn't get used on many weekends - it gets used as a backup for the Modern car, not the other way round. (especially useful if i have a couple of short journeys to do as the Honda doesn't like to start after short journeys)

If a Minor is properly serviced and maintained it should never let you down.
Even on a standard car you can be let down. My first one broke down BEACAUSE of proper servicing (the new parts were faulty).
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
brit
Minor Friendly

Post by brit »

I only have my morris, which is soon to be replaced by a vw bus *yes im going to the dark side :evil: *
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

Me: Traveller, every day.
Wife: Traveller, evry day.
Both cars used for work / social / holiday / towing / whatever. We both use whichever traveller happens to be most convenient on the drive when we want to go out. We do have another car for special occasions or when when of the travellers is having its wood varnished..... it's a 2 door saloon which prior to acquiring a second traveller was also used for every day transport. Over the years I've had a 4 door saloon and two other travellers. I've dabbled with modern cars but don't have (and don't want) any at the moment, I've always come back to the Minors and think nothing of 18,000 plus miles per annum. :D PS we have updated things like lights & heaters, but they are still basically standard cars. My air conditioning doesn't deplete the ozone, add to emissions, or need servicing: It's called a quartlight :wink:
Chris Morley

Post by Chris Morley »

Unfortunately I was limited to 5 options when posting - the 6th was going to be public transport or pushbike. I hadn't thought of motorbikes or walking.

Although I have other options, my Minor is a daily driver. It's taken me to work for 3 years and 5 months* without a breakdown. Once I had to stop because of a faulty indicator - it took me a few minutes to find the loose connector. How many new cars are that reliable?

(*except for a few days while the gearbox was replaced).
pskipper
Minor Fan

Post by pskipper »

Providing it's nothing too big/too tricky to replace I can cycle to my nearest Minor centre and buy the parts :)
Philip, Lynda and the cars.

custommartin
Minor Fan

Post by custommartin »

Hi All,

I have my (2 seater)Convertible;- Was A perfectly good Fiat powered Custom Mog with severe cross-member/ front leg rot!!! :-?
So now in pieces in the garage and will be for the forseeable future :(

My Pick-Up;- now (in?)famous for letting itself down outside Donington. Mot'ed but needing tlc.
A regular at rallies in the south-east of England, and the odd trip oop north (Donnie!).

For everyday use I have a 2 year-old Subaru WRX.
I should take out shares in BP (petrol), Bridgestone (tyres) and insurance!! :-?

It is a good car, but the running costs are starting to bug me, I must be getting old!

And no I don't wear a cap back to front. :lol: :lol: :lol:

It certainly gets me from traffic jam to traffic jam quicker! :wink:

It makes me appreciate how simple the Minor is! :D

Cheers

Martin
1971 3.9 litre V8 Pick-Up - At least most of the bodywork is original!
Hibernating - Shhhhhhhhhhhhh!

1966 V8 powered roadster - Now out of hibernation - not long til it's done.................
s.richardson
Minor Fan

Post by s.richardson »

my everyday car is a rover 620si auto ,ultra reliable honda engine/gearbox,only drive autos ,but dont mind moggy being manual,only comes out in nice weeather,dont want to do all that work to have it rot again,cant wait to get splitty on the road so we can all go out in it
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

Well I drive a fiesta (mums but on insurance) for long journeys an a mog (also mums, but with me as main driver) and I will hopefully have a roadworthy spridget in a few months!!
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
britab1967
Minor Fan

Post by britab1967 »

Molly our 59 Traveller is living in the garage, well the body is while the engine/gearbox are outside under a tarpaline. We bought her in March hoping for a quick clean up so we could go to our first rally at Donnington or the local one at Hednesford, but I am having to replace most of the underbody, so with a lot of luck we will make Longleat next year.

When the job is finished Molly will be used everyday by my wife or I, while we also use the Laguna for everyday and pulling the caravan for holidays. It's a shame but there's no way a Traveller could manage a 1000kg caravan.
Knebworth 2011 National Rally
Sky and Molly

_h_____
Minor Friendly

Post by _h_____ »

The morris is the everyday transport, all year round, takes my wife to work (I get the train). Have an old 911 as backup, and caterham on the way. But these will always be the w/e cars.

The morris tends to give notice prior to failure, so can usually catch it. Has been very reliable. Too reliable! That reminds me I should give it a service!
morris van
Minor Legend

Re: Other cars?

Post by morris van »

My other cars are a 1970 MG Midget, 2003 Mazda MX5 which was my dads car which I inherited from him last year and a 2019 Ford Fiesta. I have 1971 Morris van which I use sometimes to work.

kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

Our minor is used by my son most days, I have a Lotus Elan +2S130, TR7V8 and a V8 range rover, my wife has a mk1 MX5, I can also use my daughter has street ka and I also have a new company fiesta we can all drive but mostly my daughter uses.

During the past year only my daughter and wife have been going out to work so the TR and Lotus have barely been used, the range rover has done more being used for DIY shopping and tip trips.

Kevin
cococola
Minor Fan

Post by cococola »

A morris Minor convertible,a Morris Minor Traveller and an Mgf steptronic ...with the gearbos playing up!
Good job Moggies are on hand for reliability......
Attachments
IMG_20200611_223144_890.jpg
IMG_20200611_223144_890.jpg (152.65 KiB) Viewed 1059 times
IMG_20200516_143146_014.jpg
IMG_20200516_143146_014.jpg (88.09 KiB) Viewed 1059 times
Morris Minors..... such fun :D