Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ben_minor_63
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Cheap car transporter

Post by ben_minor_63 »

Hi i am looking for a cheap car transporter. I am intrested in the FREE Minor on the free section. I am willing to give £100 to any 1 who can help me.

Alex'n'Ane
Minor Legend

Re: Cheap car transporter

Post by Alex'n'Ane »

Will be useful to say where from, and where to..
___Anne___

ben_minor_63
Minor Fan

Post by ben_minor_63 »

The car is located in Dunfermline Fife and i Live in Pinxton Derbyshire. Junction 28 of the M1. if this helps any 1

chesney
Minor Legend
Location: Le Tronquay, nr Bayeux, en France - Pop in for a cuppa!

Post by chesney »

What is it that you are suggesting? Do you want to borrow a transporter, or do you want someone to go to Fife with a transporter :-?
irmscher
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by irmscher »

Cheapest i have seen is £1 per mile one way .You can hire car trailers quite cheaply :D
ben_minor_63
Minor Fan

Post by ben_minor_63 »

A young member has came up with an idea of i drive up and we tow it back from their on a tow rope. with a on tow sign on it.

chesney
Minor Legend

Post by chesney »

I guess you must have missed my post. I know of a means of transport for your car, but we almost certainly cannot go to Fife, so it *may* be available to hire for a day...
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Ben thats a long way on a tow rope :o and i would imagine the police would stop you
mattsw
Minor Friendly

Post by mattsw »

If a car is being towed, even on a frame it must have tax, insurance etc (if its in the free section dont think it will be!) So if its not only way to go is a transporter, dont forget depending when you passed your driving test (you mentioned a young member) you need to do a trailer test to. As other post says hire one or buy one and sell it on after? good luck.
Last edited by mattsw on Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

www.shiply.com do a inexpensive transporter service.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
a8pte
Minor Fan

Post by a8pte »

do what i done tow it on an a frame much easier
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

A vehicle towed on an A frame behind another vehicle must have insurance and a current MOT - this vehicle clearly hasn't!
If you tow anything over 750kg (towed car + A frame) it counts as a trailer and thus requires separate rear lighting and braking. Also check your driving licence. If you passed it after 1997 you may have to do a towing test :oops:

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
customjob
Minor Fan

Post by customjob »

In relation to what people are saying as regards towing a vehicle with an A frame without MoT and a like. A vehicle can be towed using an A frame without tax insurance MoT as long as the towed vehicle doesn't have the ability to be readily driven. By that is meant that a part of the drive train is not fitted nor can be fitted or carried on in or within the vehicle where it could be fitted, in this way it is deemed under law that the towed vehicle becomes classed as trailer and is then covered by the towing vehicles insurance. Secondary lighting applies as per anything being towed. But the towed vehicle must have a body that is in good structural order I. E. no major structual defect, missing panels or items hanging off.

In relation to tow ropes. A change in law a few years back means that a tow rope can now only be used to move a vehicle a short distance, or to a point of safety where the vehicle no longer becomes an obsruction or hazzard.

In towing a vehicle by rope from Fife to Derbyshire. I'd be pretty sure you would be breaking the law just by having the intent to do so, without even doing it.

Best advice, hire an appropriate trailer or company to do it.

MColes
Minor Legend

Post by MColes »

It's a '56, so just wait until November and drive it home :roll:
Matt Coles
Young Members Registrar

Find out more about the Young Members Register HERE
chesney
Minor Legend

Post by chesney »

I agree. Be sensible and get the right equipment. We have one that *may* be available to let, it has a winch for vehicles that can't to be driven, all straps etc included. You only need a capable vehicle to tow it, but then you'd need a capable vehicle to tow it by towrope from Fife anyway :roll:
autolycus
Minor Addict

Post by autolycus »

A Morris Minor weighs, say 800kg. That's already over the permitted weight for an unbraked trailer. I don't know how one could achieve coupled brakes with an A-frame, and towing dollies are very restricted in their use and permitted speeds. A typical car transporter trailer weighs 500-800kg, so the driver would need a towing entitlement on his licence, as others have said, and the towing car would need to have a high enough maximum train weight, as shown on its VIN plate.

Rules have recently been tightened on tachograph requirements, even for things like Range Rovers when used for towing for reward, and operators now need an Operator's Licence.

And it's a long way - 300 miles or so each way. Too far, imho, for even an experienced driver to tow a trailer in one day, and certainly taking more than a paid driver's permitted hours.

Expect to pay £75 or more to hire a trailer for a couple of days.

I'd guess you're looking at a minimum of £350 to get it collected, unless you're very lucky and find someone returning empty. You have the advantage their that all you need to do is let the car roll off at the right place on the M1 and it will finish up in Pinxton. Free cars can work out quite expensive.

Kevin
chesney
Minor Legend

Post by chesney »

My old man travels 350 miles + at least 10 times a year with a car trailer! That said, he is a very experienced driver, and has a very capable vehicle for doing so (its a disco, and not the new ones that weigh the earth).
There is a lot more to it than plonking yourself in the drivers seat, and for that reason it is probably best to have it delivered, by the time you have added up petrol and the cost of your time etc the cost is reasonable.
autolycus
Minor Addict

Post by autolycus »

chesney wrote:My old man travels 350 miles + at least 10 times a year with a car trailer!
Well yes - I used to do the same when I was towing as a business, and still would quite happily (1994 Range Rover) but we're talking here of a 600 mile round trip. I reckon that's a minimum of 12-14 hours actual, wheels rolling, driving, plus loading, fuelling, and pnb stops.
chesney wrote:That said, he is a very experienced driver, and has a very capable vehicle for doing so (its a disco, and not the new ones that weigh the earth).
There is a lot more to it than plonking yourself in the drivers seat, and for that reason it is probably best to have it delivered, by the time you have added up petrol and the cost of your time etc the cost is reasonable.
Agreed. For a big enough towing car to do it legally and moderately safely, it's £130 worth of fuel at least.

Kevin
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

It's a '56, so just wait until November and drive it home
Since the original question was about transporting a free car and therefore (I presume) a project, I do hope this comment was intended as a joke......
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

I know a man with a transporter who lives just north of the border.

Is this any help?
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!