Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
irmscher
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: VW weekend

Post by irmscher »

Oh i see you want 40,s music :lol: :lol: 70,s music is good and varied :wink: Chris Evans would charge a grand to answer the phone i used to know him when he had no money.
lowride stepside
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by lowride stepside »

irmscher wrote:Oh i see you want 40,s music :lol: :lol: 70,s music is good and varied :wink: Chris Evans would charge a grand to answer the phone i used to know him when he had no money.
Costs nothing to ask , he might even drop a mention on the breakfast show
speed not tweed
kingzdjc

Post by kingzdjc »

irmscher wrote:Oh i see you want 40,s music :lol: :lol: 70,s music is good and varied :wink: Chris Evans would charge a grand to answer the phone i used to know him when he had no money.
No not particually 40s music, Im just saying technically, the 'theme' should be 40s ish. The Minor is NOT a 70s car, in fact, Morris then as a company had been overtaken, and no longer an individual manufacturer. In fact, Minors before 1968, before Morris became part of the dreadful BMC, are better built. To have a 70s theme is like celebrating the car's demise personally.
lowride stepside
Minor Fan

lowride stepside wrote:
Costs nothing to ask , he might even drop a mention on the breakfast show
And I love the seventies Glam Rock ,Punk ,Two tone ,But not ABBA ,and the cars were sh!7 except for some Fords
speed not tweed
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

You could always ask Dizzy Rascal :wink:
kingzdjc

Post by kingzdjc »

And I love the seventies Glam Rock ,Punk ,Two tone ,But not ABBA ,and the cars were sh!7 except for some Fords
Glam rock to be honest is absolute c**p in my opinion that is :D Full of men that look like nerds in sparkly jackets, long greasy hair, errrrrrrrr, it just sums up the 70s tbh.
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

lowride stepside wrote:Hold the event at a track like the bug jam or the bulldog bash what about a hill climb or a circuit ,which I did suggest in my post that was deleted (I saw it on here )
Previous rallies have been held at Donnington & Haynes with track facilities but the National needs a site of at least 80 - 100 acres (excluding camping) so available locations are limited. To secure a suitable location the National needs to be planned at least 2 years in advance and preparation for next years rally is already underway - it will be in Oxfordshire to coincide with the Morris centenary. (By the way, the server keeps a record of all deleted posts and a post by you definately hasn't been deleted - maybe there was a technical 'glitch' when you were posting it?)
kingzdjc wrote: No not particually 40s music, Im just saying technically, the 'theme' should be 40s ish.
But we’ve already had a 40’s theme National. If it was the same theme every year people would complain which is why it is varied.
kingzdjc wrote: Next years' event, I would really like to see the young members taking a more active role in suggestions and organising the national event, (myself included).
If you haven’t already joined it would be worth joining the Young Members Facebook group as most of their discussions take place there rather than on here.

I tried to contact Chris Evans a couple of years ago when there was a query on here regarding his white convertible but got no response :(

Eric - 1971 Traveller
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Ginger productions :lol: i suppose he gets asked all the time but there again his mate Timmy Mallet [wackaday ] would .
lowride stepside
Minor Fan

Madness (I like driving in my car )tribute bands a plenty ,everybody knows the words and its easy to dance to
its not about a theme It's about tapping into existing scene's and getting them into mogs ,put the right music on to attract the new blood ,or give the new blood that youve got a fat budget to organise somthing hip thats :D not a replacement
speed not tweed
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

nothing wronmg with the 70`s best years i ever had :D :D
cmea
Minor Friendly

Post by cmea »

LouiseM wrote: As for the Punch & Judy show, whilst not to everyone's taste it attracted large numbers of both adults and children during each showing at last year's rally so quite a lot of members seem to like it!
Its funny but an ambulance and police around an accident seem to attract large numbers of people - not cos they like the accident, but because they are inquisitive. Perhaps they should put a ladies toilet in the centre arena as that always attracts a queue of people lining up to have a go! :o Still I suppose if the people that organise it like it that is all that matters. :roll:
I wonder if the flight path for the birds of prey has been thought about - could make a mess of those tweeds! :lol:

lowride stepside
Minor Fan

irmscher wrote:Ginger productions :lol: i suppose he gets asked all the time but there again his mate Timmy Mallet [wackaday ] would .
He's joking about Timmy Mallet so don't start trying to book him !
(you were joking wern't you ?)
speed not tweed
lowride stepside
Minor Fan

Nice truck cmea
speed not tweed
mbo145
Minor Fan

Post by mbo145 »

Well I'm looking forward to it and I know it takes lots of work to organise, so well done to all who have helped. I am sure they will welcome your help next year lowride stepside in organising some live music and some new ideas. I really enjoyed seeing the younger members and the pride they had in their cars, they are a really friendly lot! :D
My 1956 Series 11 Traveller! Bought when I was 17 (1985)....sold 6 years (1991) later......bought back 9 years after that! (2000) With 6 different owners in the middle, what a lucky boy I am!
lowride stepside
Minor Fan

Theyre doing thier best I'm sure, and no matter what you do your never going to please everybody, so this surlely points to the fact that more diversity over the weekends is needed ,as we are a diverse bunch of nuts, What about a circus tent with related activities for the kids big n small ,maybe the orgaizers could go to the bug jam and pick up a few ideas or Glastonbury ,arrive in tweed leave in tye dye or worse still turn to the dub side
speed not tweed
mbo145
Minor Fan

Post by mbo145 »

Looks like you will be having a very busy summer helping organise it all next year Lowride, good luck, I am sure you will get lots of help :D
My 1956 Series 11 Traveller! Bought when I was 17 (1985)....sold 6 years (1991) later......bought back 9 years after that! (2000) With 6 different owners in the middle, what a lucky boy I am!
lowride stepside
Minor Fan

I think we should keep all the trad stuff, and add a bit of new, more bands Dj's and Pa's ,
I'm already on the mother
speed not tweed
mbo145
Minor Fan

Post by mbo145 »

Well having actually gone to the National, I had a great time, the people are so friendly and as I went on my own, I felt I was made very much at home, especially by the Northern Ireland group and in the West Yorkshire branch tent after the Abba do had finished! Not sure what time that was, but they walked me back to my tent (I was in huge platform shoes) :D
TigerWoody
Minor Friendly

Post by TigerWoody »

Morning All!!

As a new member I feel maybe I shouldn't be sticking my nose it where it's not wanted!! but...

We've just bought a 1969 Morris Traveller, my wife's wanted one forever... usual story.,.. Auntie had one, lots of happy holidays etc etc, although I've also fancied having one one day to me Beetles/campers have always appealed more and a man can only have so many cars!!

I started driving VW's in 1987 when they had a small following similar to other classic car clubs now... I joined the Split Screen Van Club in 1988 when they had a very small membership and mostly older owners(how things have changed!!) my first VW Camper was a 1965 Splitscreen Devon conversion, I bought it because it and parts were cheap, it was easy to work on(on my mum and dads drive!!), I loved the look of it and I could get away with my mates at the weekend.

Back then it was just an old van and the car to have for a young dude was a Ford of some kind... the usual reaction to my new pride of joy was "what do you what that old hippy van for why don't you buy something faster/more modern?!"

If you have to explain there's no point!!

I'm now approached by similar types of people who before would've laughed and told me to "scrap that old thing" now telling me how great my VW's are... fashion dictates what people like and very few think for themselves.

Rather than get hung up on Morris Minors are better because... and VW's are rubbish because... don't compare apples with oranges, enjoy your car and let others enjoy theirs!!

For example someone on this posting said with regards VWs breaking down all the time words to the effect of if the Germans built Panzers like this no wonder they lost the war... this is just a silly thing to say for too many reasons to go into now!

VW's were built to a great and solid standard and pretty much go on forever if looked after properly which is one of the reasons they've been so successful and to deny this blindly is just ignorant... if your car's(Morris or VW!) breaking down all the time then get it fixed properly so it doesn't!!!

I'm not saying VWs are better or Morris's are worse I'm just saying let people like what they like without getting uptight about it all!!

If you like a lowered or stock VW or stock or custom Morris that's up to you and no one in my opinion has the right to tell you that your car's not as good as theirs because...

It may not be your taste but it's not your car!!

If you like Morris Minors/Travellers etc or you like VW's or you like both then all's good!!

My current 1966 VW Camper is well maintained and looked after, I've had it now for 21 years and this year we(me, wife and four kids!) drive via the French/Italian Alps down to the South of France and back again... almost exactly 2000 miles with no mechanical issues at... who says they always break down!!?

Our new Traveller rattles and shakes and makes noises I'm not used to yet, I drove 650 miles when I collected it to bring it home and she ran really well, my wife loves it way more than any other car she's ever had and that's what matters... if she loves it and it's reliable then it's a great car in my opinion... it looks so good too!!

Whilst driving the Traveller the other day my wife lost all power... I put a posting up and very quickly I had many answers to my problems... that's what I like about the classic car world(all classic cars!!) the people who are passionate about their pride and joy all want to help each other.

I've really enjoyed working on it to replace the gasket(to be finished today I hope!) and have found some things much easier/better to do and somethings not so good comparing with a VW flat 4... overall I think it's a really great car and hope to have it or another for a long time.

Things have changed... the whole VW scene is now massive and Campers are very fashionable which is not always a good thing, the prices are way too high for a young guy to get into it as I did way back when... which is a shame(I sold a 1966 RHD Splitscreen van about 2 years ago to a 21 year old lad and his insurance cost him £6,500 p/a third party... that's just crazy!!).

The best VW show in my opinion is Peppercorn because it's smaller and more vintage so lots of the older VW fans go... what have rave tents and bands got to do with classic cars anyway!!

So many shows are all about the organisers making as much money as possible and not about the cars unfortunately!

Anyway... I hope I haven't upset anyone but the Morris as you all know is a great car, easy to get parts for, easy to work on and has a really good following so don't wish for something else... you may get it!!

All the best
Chris
MColes
Minor Legend

Post by MColes »

Only just seen this thread, wish I had seen it before as there are quite a few remarks that I would like to comment on but just don't have the time now as there are so many.

What I will say though is this... As the Registrar for the Young Members register I'd like to think I know what young members of the club want and to be honest they seem perfectly happy with the way that the National rally is run. OK, the entertainment in the evening isn't to everyone's tastes but the young members are more the BBQ and beers sort anyway, so it doesn't really bother us.

The daytime entertainment is great, we're young so of course we like Punch and Judy :lol:. To be perfectly honest most of the young members are just interested in looking at and talking about the cars; pointing out what isn't quite right on the concours cars (no need to worry about us all modifying our cars :wink:) and admiring the workmanship that has gone into the modified cars on display.

No complaints from the YM register, it's growing daily so the club must be doing something right :wink: :D
Matt Coles
Young Members Registrar

Find out more about the Young Members Register HERE