Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ben_minor_63
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Bench Seats.

Post by ben_minor_63 »

Hi. I am wanting to put a Bench seat in possibley a 4 door. Can any 1 tell me any info/pictures on how i can do this.

Thanks
ben_minor_63

kingzdjc

Re: Bench Seats.

Post by kingzdjc »

ben_minor_63 wrote:Hi. I am wanting to put a Bench seat in possibley a 4 door. Can any 1 tell me any info/pictures on how i can do this.

Thanks
ben_minor_63

I presume you mean a front bench seat, (as the back already has one?) If so, enter this into the search bar 'Little Project.......Bench Seat?'

Apparently a bench from an allegro will fit with adjustments.

Sorry couldnt be of more help
don58van
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by don58van »

Hi Ben

You might be interested to know that all Australian Minor LCVs had bench seats. There is a recess in them to accommodate the gear shift.

Cheers
Don
Innovator
Minor Fan

Post by Innovator »

We have used an All agro (Allegro) bench seat in a pickup. I would imagine it would be harder to find an Allegro now than actually fit it.
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

don58van wrote:You might be interested to know that all Australian Minor LCVs had bench seats. There is a recess in them to accommodate the gear shift.
There are some photos of one here: http://mog.myfreeforum.org/ftopic2948-0-asc-0.php

Eric - 1971 Traveller
ben_minor_63
Minor Fan

Post by ben_minor_63 »

Thanks all. I am thinking to make my own out of the front seats to the specification of the Australian bench seat. If that makes sense.

JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Innovator wrote:We have used an All agro (Allegro) bench seat in a pickup. I would imagine it would be harder to find an Allegro now than actually fit it.
:lol: :lol: I have owned 2 (still have one) and no, you ain't gonna find a scrap Allegro (if you do let me know!) :wink:

Trim parts are incredibly hard to come by, but the seats are extremely comfortable.
kingzdjc

Post by kingzdjc »

JOWETTJAVELIN wrote:
Innovator wrote:We have used an All agro (Allegro) bench seat in a pickup. I would imagine it would be harder to find an Allegro now than actually fit it.
:lol: :lol: I have owned 2 (still have one) and no, you ain't gonna find a scrap Allegro (if you do let me know!) :wink:

Trim parts are incredibly hard to come by, but the seats are extremely comfortable.
Not being funny, but just interested why you would own an Allegro??? Probably the worst excuse of a car ever. My Grandparents used to have one, and even back then it was c**p, and a rot-box so Ive been told. Apparently an Allegro would only need to look at water and it would rust lol.

In fact, I went to a car show not so long ago, and a 'immaculate' Allegro was on show. Guess what, this 'show Allegro' had rust spots dotted all around the bodywork.

Most of the trim parts are hard to come by because they most likely disintergrated :D
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

It's easy to knock them but they sold strongly and in any case I know they are good cars. Not all were good and there are many horror stories, but I don't take myself or the Allegro too seriously, as it makes me and other people smile (and laugh).

It is very comfortable with its properly sprung seats and hydragas suspension, and the 1300 engine is the same design as that fitted to many British cars.

The bodies were better rust proofed than most and they perform incredibly well in the snow.

It sums up the 1970s for me and I love it, so it is forgiven when the boot springs open as I close the driver's door, or the screenwashers, instead of delivering a jet to the screen, discharge onto my foot. (Absolutely true).
kingzdjc

Post by kingzdjc »

JOWETTJAVELIN wrote:It's easy to knock them but they sold strongly and in any case I know they are good cars. Not all were good and there are many horror stories, but I don't take myself or the Allegro too seriously, as it makes me and other people smile (and laugh).

It is very comfortable with its properly sprung seats and hydragas suspension, and the 1300 engine is the same design as that fitted to many British cars.

The bodies were better rust proofed than most and they perform incredibly well in the snow.

It sums up the 1970s for me and I love it, so it is forgiven when the boot springs open as I close the driver's door, or the screenwashers, instead of delivering a jet to the screen, discharge onto my foot. (Absolutely true).
Each to their own I suppose :D The reason they sold strongly however was because they were cheap. You see, it also sums up the 70s for me. A time when many great British car brands went down the pan, which is why I hate nearly all 70s cars, apart from a few Fords :D Yet, they're not British.

Obviously its personal preference, and I may like some cars that you dont. The only thing I fail to understand is despite the Allegro being c**p back in the day, it now attracts even if a few fans, and can now be called a 'classic' which would imply it being good, which its not. :D

Just my opinion (and that of the older generation that would probably never want to hear the name 'Allegro' again) lol
daveyl
Minor Fan

Post by daveyl »

Mmm, compared to most cars of the era it was very good in the 'crusty' department (think Fords, Fiats and Jap cars).

Although, just using a sample size of 2 that I've owned!, is that the engine/gearbox was the thing that let it down. At 85-100 k mileage it would need a re-build. And for a car that's not worth a lot, it ain't gonna happen.
Put the 'A series' (FWD) engine in a 'mini' and it might cope but not in a family size car. Down the scrap yard they went. 2 of them to be exact.

The 1500 or 1750 engine was much stronger and could certainly last way beyond that mileage. 5-bearing crank and no end float issues and a 5-speed box. I've had to scrap many cars over the years and all of them were well past the 100 k mark and absolutely tip-top engines.