Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
theminorsite
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: Young owners at the National

Post by theminorsite »

yeldarbwehttam wrote:Unfortunately we weren't told where the young owners were camping and endured the noise until 3am only to find that some of them were back up making a racket at 6.30am!

I did actually hear a lady politely ask them to keep the noise down at 2am and she was just laughed at. There was clearly no attempt made by young owners to keep their voices down either. Bad language doesn't bother me personally but it wasn't fair to subject everyone to it.

Next year I suggest the organizers clearly designate a special area for young owners so they can party all night long without disturbing those that want a good night's sleep (or at least as good a nights sleep as you can get camping). This should be away from the main camping area. For example, if the young owners camped the other side of the marquee then they would have been away from the main camping area and probably not kept us all awake.
Hi 'yeldar'
I'm really surprised to see your message, as I was part of the marshalling team parking up campers on Friday and Saturday, and as far as I am aware we quite intentionally parked as many of the younger members as we could identify together at the end of the camping area, and gradually 'phased down' away from that area according to how we thought it would present least problems (for example, I put the first of the Scottish contingent to arrive down toward the end, as I know they're young, or young-at-heart, and would be likely to partake of the odd pint :) ).

I arrived on site Thursday lunch, in fact I think I was among the last of the setup team to arrive, and we were delighted to see the large amount of space we had available for all the various areas we needed to mark out. I quite see your idea that there is some segregation among campers, but you have to see that we were very spoilt this year with space and its much more likely at other venues to find that we wouldn't have anywhere close to enough room to do that. Camping is, as has been said before on this thread, not conducive to noise insulation and its inevitable that there will be some sound leakage, which is why we attempted to put us wrinklies at one end and the youngsters at the other with a graduation in between.

That said, individual camping spots didn't (and never have, to my recollection) guarantee quiet anyway, because there's more than a few of us oldies who 'let their hair down' at Nationals and, while we definitely try to minimise noise late at night, we do recognise that others will hear us. We apologise for that but at the same time we expect a degree of tolerance because, after all, we're all meant to be enjoying ourselves. Let's be fair, the noise coming from the event tent was far in excess of anything elsewhere on the site - even though it was separated by distance - and that didn't finish til gone 11.30 (I remember booing when they turned it off!).

I'm very disappointed that you heard someone asking for less noise and getting a poor response, and I can only assure you that that would have been the exception rather than the rule. As for the bit about starting again early, that may well have been us - we have a large list of jobs that need doing each morning before we start marshalling the cars onto the field and I'm sure it wasn't only me wandering around directing vehicles on Sunday morning feeling very sorry for myself! In essence, what I'm saying is that this is a two-way street - the young members have a duty to be respectful of those who retire early, but there is also a requirement among the more mature members to be tolerant of people with entirely different lifestyles to them and to accept that 'kids will be kids'.
Mike
http://www.TheMinorSite.co.uk
Modified Best Engine Bay - Kelmarsh National Rally 2012
1st Place Modified - Kelmarsh National Rally 2012 woohoo!
MColes
Minor Legend

Post by MColes »

yeldarbwehttam wrote:I did actually hear a lady politely ask them to keep the noise down at 2am and she was just laughed at. There was clearly no attempt made by young owners to keep their voices down either.
I think the laughter was down to the fact that this was a sarcastic comment from one of our group :roll:

I actually think we made a fairly good attempt to keep the noise down, I myself was frequently reminding members to be considerate of others but when you have a group of 30 or so people chatting it's bound to be a tad noisey.

Personally I don't want the register to have to be segregated from the rest of the club when camping as this is exactly what we don't want! If this has to heppen though those that are game for a laugh and actually out to enjoy themselves are more than welcome to join us at next year's national. Just like a fair number of what could be considered 'older' members did this year, some by invite and some by actual choice!

Whatever happens the Young Members will most certainly be there and hopefully in even larger numbers. People on our Facebook group are counting down the days to National Rally Y2K13 already :D
Matt Coles
Young Members Registrar

Find out more about the Young Members Register HERE
customjob
Minor Fan

Post by customjob »

Matt, Mike very well said. Chris thank you also didn't realise it was your truck we used. why should the young members be segragated from the rest of the camp site. As well as being the medic on scene on the Saturday night i was also a volunteer marshall on both Saturday and Sunday, and i can confirm that where nessacary campers where advised as to the young members camping area when arriving on Saturday.

It seems to me that some of the people complaining about the young members are the sort that don't won't it in there back yard, and have tarred them with the socitey brush of all young people are the same.

Inherently the young members are going to be loud and night owls, but matt and andy as i've said did very well in keeping things under control, there are always a few to the exception of the many, but in the several hours i was there before the incident, bad or foul language was at a minimun it was more boystrous banter.

I was camped some twenty feet to the right of John Rouke ok some of the noise was broken up by the tents in between but it didn't cause any problem, my parents who are in there late sixties early seventies travelled in convoy from South Wales and stayed until around 8pm on Friday night they commented on how nice it was to here the young members letting there hair down and enjoying themselves.

Now if two R P's can pass coment like that and show signs of tolerance then i'm sure the 30/35+ age groups could do the same.

Yeilder very strange comment about someone asking to the keep noise down at 2 am by 1.30am the last of the young members had turned in. I was back up from the Ambulance after it left around 1 am to help Matt keep things calm and make sure people turned in, ok a few wanted to party on, but it was asked out of being repectfull to others considering what had just happened they did.

dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

i did not here a thing , im glad the yuong lady is ok .we need the young members they are the future of the club .we have all got drunk in the passed and had ill affects afterwords so dont be hard on them .well done matt and andy keep up the good work .
[sig]5641[/sig]
MColes
Minor Legend

Post by MColes »

Lets be honest, we're hardly the rowdiest of 'youngsters'. I know there are a few exceptions to the rule but Morris Minor owners are hardly the wildest, most out of control individuals around :roll: :lol:
Matt Coles
Young Members Registrar

Find out more about the Young Members Register HERE
kingzdjc

Post by kingzdjc »

MColes wrote:Lets be honest, we're hardly the rowdiest of 'youngsters'. I know there are a few exceptions to the rule but Morris Minor owners are hardly the wildest, most out of control individuals around :roll: :lol:
Haha, no not exactly. I reckon the womens institute is wilder and out of control, with all those cup cake competitions and that haha :D
customjob
Minor Fan

Post by customjob »

Um the W I now thats a force to be reckoned with, wouldn't want to disturbe them while they're in full throughs of a cup cake party. More tea anyone? Betty more cakes for Mrs Jones. :lol: :lol: :lol:

lowride stepside
Minor Fan

Post by lowride stepside »

Is she coming next year ?
speed not tweed
millerman
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by millerman »

customjob wrote:Um the W I now thats a force to be reckoned with, wouldn't want to disturbe them while they're in full throughs of a cup cake party. More tea anyone? Betty more cakes for Mrs Jones.
Ask Mr Blair about the W I, they were more than a match for him :D :D
Kevincolley
Minor Friendly

Post by Kevincolley »

may i say that if i disturbed anyone at 6am onwards on the sunday then i am very sorry for doing so, i however made every attempt to keep my noise levels down as i had decided to go for a walk given i had woken up so early, during my walk i chatted to a few other early risers, who wanted info on the previous nights disturbances, which not only inc the incident with the ambulance but also a fellow young member driving their car at 3am, to the entrance to pick up the young member who had accompanied the girl to hospital, for this i appologised on their behalf knowing that they would probably also make their own appology for any disturbances they may of caused in their actions

Steam enthusiast, owner of 2 Morris minors and hes only 24
Prowed Owner of
Moggy 1964 Rose Taupe Morris Traveller ATY 243 B
Trevor 1964 Trafalgar Blue Morris Traveller PRX 220 B (under restoration)
KGC Engineering, Heritage Transport Restoration and Maintenance 07879 368 181 kgcengineering@hotmail.co.uk
Bimbles

Post by Bimbles »

Thought I would post a comment on here, Our family camped right near the young members and I can honestly say that we were not disturbed at all by them! the biggest disturbance of the weekend was the Abba entertainment! Sorry just was not our cup of tea! :P 8)

badobsession
Minor Fan

Post by badobsession »

Alex'n'Ane wrote: God forbid that some of us may be enjoying ourselves at the event!! We were camped right next to the mmo group, and they have no complaints at all...
:o WHAT WAS THAT SOMEONE ENJOYING THEM SELVES AT A NATIONAL :o think they should be banned from future events :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :wink: :lol:
and no we (MMO members ) did not see or hear any thing :wink:
any way the old farts where away to there beds at 11 just cant party all night must be old age :P

SCOTTISH BRANCH CHAIRMAN .
theminorsite
Minor Fan

Post by theminorsite »

badobsession wrote: :o WHAT WAS THAT SOMEONE ENJOYING THEM SELVES AT A NATIONAL :o think they should be banned from future events :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :wink: :lol:
I reckon it should be Bimbles who can't come - fancy not liking Abba?! :D :D
badobsession wrote: and no we (MMO members ) did not see or hear any thing :wink:
any way the old farts where away to there beds at 11 just cant party all night must be old age :P
Flippin' cheek - we were still partying in our caravans for hours after that!
Mike
http://www.TheMinorSite.co.uk
Modified Best Engine Bay - Kelmarsh National Rally 2012
1st Place Modified - Kelmarsh National Rally 2012 woohoo!
Bimbles

Post by Bimbles »

I reckon it should be Bimbles who can't come - fancy not liking Abba?! :D :D
[quote="badobsession"]

haha! My first National for years! Hoping my car will make it next year!

irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

The young members are the future of the Morris Minor and the club and i know who i would camp with :lol: :lol:
Last edited by LouiseM on Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removal of personal comments
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

I want to come next year, seems I've missed out big time! :D I'll get there even if I drop a valve