Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
moggylowlight
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Young owners at the National

Post by moggylowlight »

I was very impressed with the young owner members who descended on my MM during the National on Sunday, expecting them not to be knowledgable about the early MM's how wrong can I be.. Polite enthusiastic and the next 60 years of the Morris Minor will be safe in their hands. :wink: :wink: apparently my car is the ultimate in cool! :lol:

Sidevalve upper limits
Tamsin
Minor Friendly

Re: Young owners at the National

Post by Tamsin »

The young owners register are a good bunch. I camped with them this year and it was good fun.

You can't get much geekier than a young enthusiast... :lol:
1968 Maroon 2 Door
Dave@FJ

Post by Dave@FJ »

Tamsin wrote: You can't get much geekier than a young enthusiast... :lol:
I also camped Fri and Sat night with the young members. They helped me put the tent up, shared their cooking facilities and were a very polite and helpful bunch of young people - the club should be proud :)

Not sure they'd appreciate being called 'geeky' though :D
Sparticus
Minor Fan

Post by Sparticus »

Glad we weren't too bad! My 1st national and i am looking forward to next year!! @Dave Y i think you just got someone to do the cooking for you didn't you? :wink:
Grant, 23, Morris Minor traveller - Saloon. Merlin traveller 90% finished!
DSN Classics

MColes
Minor Legend

Post by MColes »

I must say I was rather surprised and overjoyed by the number of young members that turned up, much more than I was expecting. To go from 2/3 back in 2009 when we first arranged a young members get together to over 30 over the course of the weekend this year is amazing! :D

The camaraderie between the members of the register that were present this year was amazing; helping each other put up tents, cooking for each other, repairing any issues that anyone had developed on their journey there... the list just goes on. I really feel that if the register continues to grow with the type of individuals it has currently then the future of the Morris Minor is in safe hands.

I'd also like to add that in the time I have known these people they have become more than merely names on a database to me. The help and support they have shown myself and other members of the register, travelling the length and breadth of the country to help each other out, we have all become more like a group of friends rather than a register. Long may it continue! :D

P.S.... on about being called geeky... I packed my anorak and it wasn't because of the weather forecast :roll: :lol:
Matt Coles
Young Members Registrar

Find out more about the Young Members Register HERE
kingzdjc

Post by kingzdjc »

Hi guys,

This was my first National and it was a pleasure meeting everyone from the young minors group (Im Daniel, the one with the split screen) Nice meeting you Matt, and the other lad Kevin, who gave me his business card. Im sure I'll be using your services in the future :D

Kevin, I hope to see you at the meetings with the Manchester branch :D

It was a pity I was only there for a day (Sunday), so I didnt really get chance to mingle and meet many people, but next year I plan to camp with you guys, so I look forward to meeting more of you then :D
stephenpolhill
Minor Addict

Post by stephenpolhill »

It was a fantastic national both for the club side and especially camping with the other young members. I was at the Harewood house rally and was lucky enough to have my car on the stand. I didn't camp with the guys but the stand was awesome ;). First year camping but it's Truely a great club to be in :)

Just J-j-j-jiggle it a bit.
'Fiona' - a 1965 original 'C' 2dr in Almond Green
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... bc64c7805b
stephh
Minor Friendly

Post by stephh »

Its my third national this year and I'm so glad to say I shared a tent with two friends I've only met through the existance of MMOCYM.
Owner of Martha and Nancy - both ex-gov disabled blue MMs and Bee, a 1960 4 door in smoke grey.
MMOCYM forever. Join us. https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/groups/MMOCYM/

PS. I blog sometimes www.idriveaclassic.com
HarryMango
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by HarryMango »

Congratulations to the Young Owners Register on winning the Young Achievers award at the National.
rsawatson
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by rsawatson »

moggylowlight wrote:I was very impressed with the young owner members who descended on my MM during the National on Sunday, expecting them not to be knowledgable about the early MM's how wrong can I be.. Polite enthusiastic and the next 60 years of the Morris Minor will be safe in their hands. :wink: :wink: apparently my car is the ultimate in cool! :lol:
Thanks for showing us your Lowlight - a true Nuffield car! See you around next year.
Ryan Watson

molly143

Post by molly143 »

It was nice to see so many young people at the Rally and your cars - so obviously treasured. However Matt and Co - you were too bad!! Last year we camped right by the Young Owners and were mega-impressed at the camerarderie and behaviour and had no qualms at camping near this group again. What a mistake!!! Some of the group let you down very badly and ruined the rally for us. Examples of bad behaviour were: - Driving too fast around the site near children and dogs. Loud, drunken chatter and laughing until 3am. Vile language (admittedly from the minority). An ambulance even had to be called due to someones intoxication. We will not be risking camping next year as we lost so much sleep. However, for the sake of others who will be camping, I would request that there is very little noise after 12 and that you drive more slowly. This is a lovely, family occasion, not a festival. :x
Tamsin
Minor Friendly

Post by Tamsin »

I feel the need to point out that the ambulance was not actually for a member of the young owners register, it was a young lady who tagged onto the group and got herself exceptionally intoxicated.

The actions taken by members of the register to get her sorted out were absolutely correct, finding trained medics on the site, getting her into the recovery position etc, and finding her mobile phone and calling her parents!
1968 Maroon 2 Door
lowride stepside
Minor Fan

Post by lowride stepside »

molly143 wrote:It was nice to see so many young people at the Rally and your cars - so obviously treasured. However Matt and Co - you were too bad!! Last year we camped right by the Young Owners and were mega-impressed at the camerarderie and behaviour and had no qualms at camping near this group again. What a mistake!!! Some of the group let you down very badly and ruined the rally for us. Examples of bad behaviour were: - Driving too fast around the site near children and dogs. Loud, drunken chatter and laughing until 3am. Vile language (admittedly from the minority). An ambulance even had to be called due to someones intoxication. We will not be risking camping next year as we lost so much sleep. However, for the sake of others who will be camping, I would request that there is very little noise after 12 and that you drive more slowly. This is a lovely, family occasion, not a festival. :x
Thats more like it ,vile language, total intoxication til 3am I'm coming next year, tho I do agree with keeping your speed down "low n slow baby "
speed not tweed
MColes
Minor Legend

Post by MColes »

As is said above... the young lady was actually not a young member but a relation of a young member.

I was approached by an number of members of the committee the following day and was commended on how quick I was to act (finding trained first aiders and finding a member of the committee so that the ambulance could get access to the site). I shall also quote what practically every committee member had to say on the matter...

"We were all young once, the older members should keep that in mind"
Matt Coles
Young Members Registrar

Find out more about the Young Members Register HERE
stephh
Minor Friendly

Post by stephh »

molly143 wrote:It was nice to see so many young people at the Rally and your cars - so obviously treasured. However Matt and Co - you were too bad!! Last year we camped right by the Young Owners and were mega-impressed at the camerarderie and behaviour and had no qualms at camping near this group again. What a mistake!!! Some of the group let you down very badly and ruined the rally for us. Examples of bad behaviour were: - Driving too fast around the site near children and dogs. Loud, drunken chatter and laughing until 3am. Vile language (admittedly from the minority). An ambulance even had to be called due to someones intoxication. We will not be risking camping next year as we lost so much sleep. However, for the sake of others who will be camping, I would request that there is very little noise after 12 and that you drive more slowly. This is a lovely, family occasion, not a festival. :x
To clarify:

1. The young lady who received medical treatment was a guest of an MMOC member and drank alone and concealed the drink. The correct medical proceedures were followed and the young members were commended for the actions taken in the unfortunate circumstances.

2. Young members were not the only attendees up until the early hours and attendees entering the site were made aware of the young members camping area.

3. At no point did any member ask the young members to 'keep the noise down' and if they had, the young members would've been very considerate and adjusted the volume accordingly.

4. Matt and Andy behaved impeccably and Matt tried very hard to keep order. I'd like to point out there were over 30 young members and therefore no small task. He did a pretty good job in my opinion.

5. I'm not sure why you would choose not to camp again. There is a designated young members area and others who were concerned we might be loud camped away from the group and had no complaints.
Owner of Martha and Nancy - both ex-gov disabled blue MMs and Bee, a 1960 4 door in smoke grey.
MMOCYM forever. Join us. https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/groups/MMOCYM/

PS. I blog sometimes www.idriveaclassic.com
Alex'n'Ane
Minor Legend

Post by Alex'n'Ane »

molly143 wrote:Driving too fast around the site near children and dogs.
I would like to remind you that dogs should have been kept on a lead at all times. And this comment seems unfair and judgemental, as the ym campsite location meant the route to and from the exit was almost exclusively over the open field.
chatter and laughing until 3am.
God forbid that some of us may be enjoying ourselves at the event!! We were camped right next to the mmo group, and they have no complaints at all...
___Anne___

Sparticus
Minor Fan

Post by Sparticus »

@molly143 ----- The MMYOC look forward to camping near you next year 8)
Grant, 23, Morris Minor traveller - Saloon. Merlin traveller 90% finished!
DSN Classics

Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

Seriously for 91p for ten.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Ear+Plugs/p60847

Many a peaceful night can be had in the same tent, as the party, if tired!
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

Alex'n'Ane wrote:
molly143 wrote: We were camped right next to the mmo group, and they have no complaints at all...
Are you sure they didn't gate crash? :D

Each to their own, young, old..... why don't some people just live and let others live. Glad the youngsters feel part of the group.
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

foofoournan
Minor Friendly

Post by foofoournan »

We Can't please everyone :L

My 1960 Morris Minor.