Lead additve

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ClarePearne
MMOC Member: No

Lead additve

Post by ClarePearne »

Hi, I just bought a 1958 convertible, with a 998 cc engine. How much lead additive do i need for each litre of unleaded petrol?
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Lead additve

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Not a lot, if any. Does it not say on the can? Only worthwile if you are doing a lot of high speed driving, at sustained high revs, where it will protect the valves.

Just glug a drop or two in each time you fill up.
moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

I use 1ml per litre of fuel, but as above it usually tells you on the bottle I think.My additive came with a measuring cap.
Where angels fear to tread
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

You don't need ANY! Just set the valve gaps at 12 thou inlets and 15 thou exhausts - and check/reset every 3000 miles......
ImageImage
lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Post by lambrettalad »

if you want piece of mind for a very small additional cost add 1mm per litre of lead additive ,cost around a tenner for 250 litre,tho you can get it cheaper sometimes at auto shows etc,I do lots of ,for a moggie,of high speed driving and no problems at all and tappets ok after 4000 miles with out having to faf about with settings.

you pays your money and takes your choice good luck :D
Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Most of the additives are based on hocus pocus and 'faith'.......the only one worth ever considering is Tetra Boost. It's the ONLY one with Lead Tetra Ethyl in the mix, and so it can genuinely replicate Leaded Fuel when added to unleaded. You should in any case be checking/resetting valve gaps every 3000 miles - so it's hardly a huge task, and only takes 10 minutes or so!
ImageImage
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

i do 300 miles a wek in my moggie, m,oterway constant speed and rural during the week
i dont use additives and she seems good
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

aupickup has the evidence that you don't really need additives as he is a high mileage man (do you have your ex valves at 15 thou like bmc suggests?)

A tip I got is to mix 2 stroke oil with the petrol at a 1:100 ratio to lubricate valves, upper cyl. head etc. The only downside to this I can see is possibly the need for more frequent decokes.
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

ex valves set at 15
chrisd87
Minor Addict

Post by chrisd87 »

JOWETTJAVELIN wrote:A tip I got is to mix 2 stroke oil with the petrol at a 1:100 ratio to lubricate valves, upper cyl. head etc. The only downside to this I can see is possibly the need for more frequent decokes.
I wouldn't do this for more than the odd tank. One problem that 2 stroke bikes get is that after a while, the exhaust gets clogged with deposits from the burning oil, leading to poor performance. It then has to be cleaned out using a variety of methods (filling the pipe with caustic soda and leaving for 24 hours being a common one). Not sure this would really be possible with a Minor exhaust, due to the non-removable baffles and packing. Obviously at 1:100 this won't happen very quickly, but it's worth bearing in mind. The plugs may foul up more quickly too.
[img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/chrisd87/DSC00749.jpg[/img][img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/chrisd87/med_gallery_128_45_1416415.jpg[/img]
Sarah - 1970 Minor 1000 2-dr
Maggie - 1969 Minor 1000 4-dr
lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Post by lambrettalad »

[quote="JOWETTJAVELIN"

A tip I got is to mix 2 stroke oil with the petrol at a 1:100 ratio to lubricate valves, upper cyl. head etc. The only downside to this I can see is possibly the need for more frequent decokes.[/quote]

Isn't that adding an additive to save the valves :-?
Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Yes, but it's proper oil as opposed to LRP or whatever they put in lead additives.

I haven't done it myself yet but am tempted to give it a go, especially with today's ultra-dry eco fuels.
lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Post by lambrettalad »

When I was ultra skint in the 60's,and could barely stand the cost of half a gallon,but not the shot of two struck oil I would on occasions use newtons straight 30 from my mates dad's shed,never had a problem but always worried in case I would :oops:
Cheers Alex

[/color]