Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
chrisd87
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

More Brussels Sprouts Re: MOT Testing

Post by chrisd87 »

Just a bit of a heads up for something that looks to be coming our way, probably from 2016 onwards. So far I've only seen this on motorcycle-related sites, but it is something that (if it comes to pass) will impact on car owners too. Owners of modified vehicles should be particularly worried. It will be interesting to see the FBHVC's response to this.

The EU is proposing to replace all national vehicle inspections with an EU-wide "road-worthiness test", which from the looks of these proposals, will be quite different from the current MOT. Standardised methods and criteria for testing are proposed, which will no doubt be stricter than our MOT and more along the lines of the German TuV. Some other key points would be:

- A new test would be required every time the vehicle changes owner, every time it is modified, or is damaged
- A vehicle which fails 'dangerously' would have its registration certificate withdrawn until it's repaired and passes a re-test
- "Minor deficiencies" (presumably the equivalent of present advisory notices) would have to be repaired "without delay" and may or may not be subject to a re-test
- Several "minor deficiencies" are likely to result in a fail
- A car failing on several items is likely to result in the car being declared 'dangerous'
- Water content and boiling point of brake fluid will be tested and recorded on the certificate
- "Unauthorised" modifications will result in a fail

The full list of tested items is available here. Although many of the items mentioned are already tested, there are plenty that aren't. Just from having a quick browse, the last item in the main section sounds ominous for Minor owners - "any excessive fluid leak likely to harm the environment" being a fail, with "steady formation of drops" apparently being 'dangerous'. I don't think I've ever had a Minor MOT without an advisory for an oil leak.

Perhaps importantly for us, "vehicles of historic interest" come outside the scope of the regulation. This is similar to the current position, where 'member states' are 'allowed' to exempt pre-1960 vehicles from the test (as we have just done, and a number of countries have done for many years). However, the definition of a "vehicle of historic interest" is as follows:

- Manufactured at least 30 years ago
- Maintained by use of replacement parts which reproduce the historic components of the vehicle
- Has not sustained any change in the technical characteristics of its main components such as engine, brakes, steering or suspension
- Has not been changed in its appearance

Elsewhere in the proposal document it states "vehicles of historic interest are... considered to be hardly used on public roads".

So, vehicles with practically any mechanical or cosmetic modification will not count as historic, and will be subject to the regulations and test. Even if your vehicle is unmodified, there is the strong possibility that the UK will not opt to exempt vehicles this 'young' (as we didn't for a long time with pre-1960 vehicles), which will mean owners of later Minors facing the full horror of the new regulations and test.

For motorcyclists, this is in the context of fighting off a whole raft of proposed new legislation, including compulsory ABS, 'anti-tampering' (making it illegal to make the slightest modification to your bike), and a ban on the sale of so-called "dual-use" components (i.e. a non-'type approved' exhaust that can be fitted to a road-going bike). Motorcycle road-worthiness testing would be added to the list of EU 'compentences' - currently it is not required, and many countries have no form of motorcycle MOT at all. This will (of course!) result in a huge esculation of the complexity of the UK bike MOT, including for the first time things like an exhaust emission test.

For custom/modified vehicle enthusiasts, essentially it seems that the EU is trying to ban practically any tuning or modification of a vehicle, with said ban being enforced by this new test.
[img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/chrisd87/DSC00749.jpg[/img][img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/chrisd87/med_gallery_128_45_1416415.jpg[/img]
Sarah - 1970 Minor 1000 2-dr
Maggie - 1969 Minor 1000 4-dr
lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Re: More Brussels Sprouts Re: MOT Testing

Post by lambrettalad »

can you imagine having to sit in a room all day thinking of ways of making people's live's more difficult and boring? :-?

I almost feel sorry for Euro -crats :o
Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

I think if you run a standard Minor you will be fine.

Even many modified Minors, provided they are fitted with an A series engine will also be fine.

I can see many cars being converted back to standard. Perhaps this legislation was put in place to combat the worst of the "floor-pan" jobs with modern running gear.
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by jagnut66 »

More unnecessary, over the top, EU bureaucratic Bulls**t designed to control our lives "for our own good"......... :evil:
I sincerely hope the whole EU implodes on itself and the sooner the better!! :x
Shame our politicians are too afraid to give us the straight choice in this country, or too afraid what the outcome of a real referendum (instead of a 'fudged question' one, like they did with PR) would be..... :x
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Just when we thought that life was going to get a little easier for pre 60s.

Off will come the indicators, seatbelts, radial tyres, bigger brakes and other safety measures to get the car back to standard
[sig]3580[/sig]
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Never mind, we'll all have this Minor thing out of our system by the time all that happens! :D
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

jagnut66 wrote:More unnecessary, over the top, EU bureaucratic Bulls**t designed to control our lives "for our own good"......... :evil:
I sincerely hope the whole EU implodes on itself and the sooner the better!! :x
Shame our politicians are too afraid to give us the straight choice in this country, or too afraid what the outcome of a real referendum (instead of a 'fudged question' one, like they did with PR) would be..... :x
I agree.

But I expect the situation will be the same as in Germany.

Over there people DO modify their cars even though they are not supposed to. They just do it sneakily, I have been reading the David Vizard book and it details German Mini builds with 100- 120 BHP out of a standard looking A series engine and SU carb. Close enough to fool the TUV test and allow the modifiers to have their fun.
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
Alex'n'Ane
Minor Legend

Post by Alex'n'Ane »

Things will just be getting boring.. Love a bit of a sleeper, looks like a standard minor externally, but with all the modern comforts and reliability of a modern engine and drivetrain, and uprated suspension and interior!
___Anne___

chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

Alex'n'Ane wrote:Things will just be getting boring.. Love a bit of a sleeper, looks like a standard minor externally, but with all the modern comforts and reliability of a modern engine and drivetrain, and uprated suspension and interior!
You may as well drive a modern car! and Minors can be reliable with proper maintainance.
Alex'n'Ane
Minor Legend

Post by Alex'n'Ane »

chickenjohn wrote:
Alex'n'Ane wrote:Things will just be getting boring.. Love a bit of a sleeper, looks like a standard minor externally, but with all the modern comforts and reliability of a modern engine and drivetrain, and uprated suspension and interior!
You may as well drive a modern car! and Minors can be reliable with proper maintainance.
Not true, I love the looks, and character of driving the minor. And the ability to play about with them. Even with "proper maintenance" they "can be" thats not exactly what I'd describe as a sensible reliable everyday vehicle..
___Anne___

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I use mine everyday and I'm quite happy doing so, yes it involves regular maintenance but you get out what you put in.
I wouldn't get back in a modern through choice.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Alex'n'Ane
Minor Legend

Post by Alex'n'Ane »

I use mine everyday, I do 500+ miles a week atm! So obviously she is used hard, but well maintained, and has imo sensible modifications to cope with this.
___Anne___

aceadvice
Minor Friendly

Post by aceadvice »

For the full update on this ,together with links to the actual new EU definition proposed please chcek out http://www.the-ace.org.uk.

Moderators please look at the article before deleting a spropoganda, even FHVBC are unhappy with the definition proposed.
itchypie

Post by itchypie »

jagnut66 wrote:I use mine everyday and I'm quite happy doing so, yes it involves regular maintenance but you get out what you put in.
I wouldn't get back in a modern through choice.
Best wishes,
Mike.
Ye I agree mot tests are part and parcel.
Last edited by itchypie on Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Audrey1955
Minor Friendly

Post by Audrey1955 »

The sooner the collapse of the EU, the better. Its an interfering, un-democratic organisation, ironically controlled mainly by Germany. They tried to gain european control in WW1, WW2, and now they have seemed to have had their way by forming the 'EU'.

We go around the world preaching democracy, yet we dont get to even vote for an EU president. Down with the EU and down with the entire political establishment.
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

You seem to be lost, the UKIP site is over there ----------------------------->

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

......................................................................Way - way over there ..............> :lol: :lol:

Audrey1955
Minor Friendly

Post by Audrey1955 »

yeah, i got a bit carried away
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Nothing wrong with UKIP!
They've got my vote!
brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

No politics guys - The mods will be watching :lol: we've had our bit of tongue in cheek so guess we should move back to the center - oops I mean back to the matters Morris :lol: